Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Liquid Preop and calories

Hi all,

Another preop question......

I am on the liquid diet and I am looking at my instructions. Just wondering, is there a certain amt of calories that I need to consume or not go over? I dont see that on my list. Just wondering, if anyone else had any specific answers regarding this.

It does tell me what I can consume in any quantities (sf beverages, broths, etc) and it tells me what to limit such as no more than 2 shakes, etc.

Any suggestions.....

P.S. I am actually surprised that im not extremely hungry. The Isopure Protein Drink is really helping and it has 40g of Protein and 0 grams of carbs....so i think that is helping me to feel "somewhat satisfied".

Hey there well im guessing every doctor is different. I will be having my VSG in Colombia Sept 16th! the day after you....I started my preop liquid diet sunday and aside from a few headaches i think im doing ok... Im on a....under 1000 calorie a day diet.. 8am - 8fl oz of Ensure...10am 1 cup apple juice 12 noon can of chicken broth 3pm fat free yogurt 5pm another Ensure 7pm another can of broth and 9pm another cup of juice.... when I totaled the calorie intake it equaled 970 daily calorie intake. from what I read this is pretty standard. although again everyon differs....some people dont even need to do the preop liquid diet.. how are you doing other wise? are you getting headaches? i seem to be a little more tired to... this is only my 3rd day... and the site of food makes my stomach grumble :sad0: but if it means less complications then im biting the bullet and doing exactly what my surgeon recommends....GOOD LUCK! and lets keep in touch.....sujeykwashington@hotmail.com

I was not given any instructions on how many calories to consume in the first 3 weeks. I don't track my calories, but rather Protein, ounces, and sodium. I would guess I am around 400 calories.

Hey there well im guessing every doctor is different. I will be having my VSG in Colombia Sept 16th! the day after you....I started my preop liquid diet sunday and aside from a few headaches i think im doing ok... Im on a....under 1000 calorie a day diet.. 8am - 8fl oz of Ensure...10am 1 cup apple juice 12 noon can of chicken broth 3pm fat free yogurt 5pm another Ensure 7pm another can of broth and 9pm another cup of juice.... when I totaled the calorie intake it equaled 970 daily calorie intake. from what I read this is pretty standard. although again everyon differs....some people dont even need to do the preop liquid diet.. how are you doing other wise? are you getting headaches? i seem to be a little more tired to... this is only my 3rd day... and the site of food makes my stomach grumble :( but if it means less complications then im biting the bullet and doing exactly what my surgeon recommends....GOOD LUCK! and lets keep in touch.....sujeykwashington@hotmail.com

Actually, i have only been making sure to get my 80-90 g of Protein in as well. I also watch the sodium content with broths because it can add up fast. One broth is usually around at least 600 mg of sodium which is alot if you are hypertensive or prone to retaining fluids (if you consume more than 2 or so per day).

Anyway, I would love to keep in touch with you. I will email you at your email address and give you my information.

This is Day 2 of my liquid diet- I guess every surgeon is different, I was told to avoid Ensure, who knows, I guess its surgeons preference, I dont really know the reason. I am actually to my surprise VERY energetic! LOL I dont know what....my stomach does not rumble much but I think the key is, I have been drinking those Isopure 40g, 0 gram drinks and it has really been making me feel somewhat satisifed.

My meal yesterday went something like this:

1st: isopure drink- 160 calories

2nd: broth: 10 calories

3rd: 4 sf jello- 40 calories

4th: isopure drink- 160 calories

5th: broth: 10 calories

6th: 4 sf popsiclaes: 40 calories

lots and lots of Water and crystal lite in between times. SO I guess that is not too bad and actually today, my thighs feel slimmer. LOL, maybe its because I have been urinating all day (TMI) I know.

Thanks for responding, we will keep in touch!:sad0:

I was not given any instructions on how many calories to consume in the first 3 weeks. I don't track my calories, but rather Protein, ounces, and sodium. I would guess I am around 400 calories.

I tend to pay more attention to Protein and sodium intake myself. I want to make sure that im not malnourished nor getting in too much sodium. Thanks for responding.

You're lucky that you like the Isopure. Most people hate it. I never minded it. It's a great way to get in all the Protein.

As far as calories go, Dr. Aceves tells his patients not to go over 800 . Can you email or call your dr.. to get more precise instructions?

You're lucky that you like the Isopure. Most people hate it. I never minded it. It's a great way to get in all the Protein.

As far as calories go, Dr. Aceves tells his patients not to go over 800 . Can you email or call your dr.. to get more precise instructions?

Thats a great idea, daisy, I guess I should have thought of that but strangely I didn't. I guess there is just tons on my mind....One week away until VSG, WOW! Time flies!

Thank You:biggrin0:

Make sure you are getting at least 500mg of sodium a day. It sounds like you are no problem but that is the minimum your body needs to complete certain osmotic functions.

Make sure you are getting at least 500mg of sodium a day. It sounds like you are no problem but that is the minimum your body needs to complete certain osmotic functions.

Check, its done. Thanks for the reminder.

Shanda

Being on the pre op diet right now I completely understand what you mean about going to the bathroom soooooooo much. OMG I think I have to pee about every 40 min!!!!!!!!!!

The other day at work someone asked me ....."Are you okay??"

lol

Shanda

Being on the pre op diet right now I completely understand what you mean about going to the bathroom soooooooo much. OMG I think I have to pee about every 40 min!!!!!!!!!!

The other day at work someone asked me ....."Are you okay??"

lol

I know it sucks, I went to the movie theatre and had to leave a few times in order to release these liquids! I hate crossing over people in the movies, especially, when its a good movie. I usually try to sit on the end but this time the movie was so crowded. But tommorrow is my last day of this liquid diet, well I guess its not because after surgery I will be on it for another week and a half. LOL

Today has been a rough day, I dont know why im all of a sudden craving things and my head is hurting (I know its due to hunger).:)