Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

don't make this mistake

Opps, I screwed up. I am 5 wks out and can eat regular food now. I had a egg for breakast, a Protein Drink after my workout, then I went shopping and bought a small little pkg of trail mix, thinking is was 150 calories. I was so craving salty/sweet/crunchy. But it was 2.5 servings per little bag and I ate most of it before I realized that. :blush: What a bummer! I should know better. Now, I have already consumed 600 calories and it's only 2pm! Learn and live:svengo:

Edited by Steph_123

I wouldn't stress over it much. If your new tummy handled the trail mix, that's great. Dont' stress over the calories right now...just learn for the future.

I'm at 5 weeks out now, and was given the green light to get regular foods, trying one new food a day and seeing how the body reacts. I am to eat only 2 oz of dense food, like chicken, etc. And, up to 4 oz of non-dense food, like cottage cheese. The trail mix was about 3 oz. My stomach stretches to 4 oz max right now. And, it tasted so good, I didn't take the recommended 30 min to eat a meal. My stomach didn't have any problems w/trail mix, but everbody is different. But, after I ate greens for the first time, it went right through me. Everbody is different when starting on solid foods.

But, you're right, stressing over it doesn't help. Tara w/LapSF told me that when your stressed the body creates cortisol (sp?) which actually causes the body to hold on to fat, or something like that. She said that patients who are too ridged actually are the ones who have the most trouble losing quickly, probably because of the stress/cortisol connection. Because, we stress over "trail mix incident", or that we weren't perfect in following the plan.

Edited by Steph_123

It tastes good, therefore they don't have it in the UK. LOL. Just kidding around with the common acceptance that the food in the UK leaves a lot to be desired. Maybe they call it granola.

Bill

Cheeky- Bill!!! Think it must be granola though! I'm not very familiar with it as I'm a chips and chocolate gal! I'm not offended but why do Americans think that food in the UK is not good? Just curious.

Another one - what are/is grits? First came across that when I read 'The Grapes of Wrath' and still don't really understand what it is?

Another one - what are/is grits? First came across that when I read 'The Grapes of Wrath' and still don't really understand what it is?

Grits are mushed up hominy and usually eaten like a hot Cereal similar to how oatmeal or cream of wheat is eaten. I think grits are quite disgusting.

I've never heard anything negative about food from the UK.

I've heard LOTS of negative stuff about UK food. Mostly that it's bland and overcooked and starchy and fatty.

But trail mix isn't granola. Granola is baked. Trail mix is just nuts and dried fruit and (sometimes) some chocolate chips or M&Ms mixed in. Sometimes people put seeds in it too.

You can buy it pre-mixed or mix it yourself in a plastic bag and take it hiking. That's how it got its name.

But obviously, you can just eat it and not go hiking. :smile: I take it on my bike.

Do these pictures help:

http://grainoflight.files.wordpress.com/2008/04/trailmix.jpg

http://iwasmkidsclub.webs.com/trail%20mix.jpg

Planters - Trail Mix

What's hominy lol?

What is Hominy?

Click the link above for more information.

Hominy referrs to corn without the germ. It is served both whole or ground. Hominy is boiled until cooked and served as either a Cereal or as a vegetable. Hominy may also be pressed into patties and fried. This dish is especially popular in the southern United States. Samp is another name for coarse hominy. Hominy ground into small grains is sometimes called "hominy grits."

Grits are mushed up hominy and usually eaten like a hot Cereal similar to how oatmeal or cream of wheat is eaten. I think grits are quite disgusting.

I've never heard anything negative about food from the UK.

I agree with you Tiff. They are served with everything, it seems, in the south (i.e., Tennessee, Georgia, Alabama). They are definitely not something I've ever learned to like that's for sure!

Since hominy is actually corn, it has a very high glycemic index and should be avoided as much as sugar. We used to have it when I was a kid and I liked the taste. But I also love fritos corn chips! Dangerous, dangerous food for me.. Can eat a whole bag, so I just don't buy them.