Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scales or no scales?

I have 61 more days before surgery. :angry: I also have Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. In my previous weight loss attempts, I have been obsessive about working out (3 or 5 hours a day /6 or 7 days a week), weighing myself, measuring food, taking my measurements, etc. So I eventually threw out my scales and only let my doctor or trainer measure me so that I could have a life while not obsessing about the scale. I see a lot of post in which people are worried about stalls and plateaus. :thumbup1: Should I keep my practice of not weighing and just monitering weightloss by how my clothes fit?

Oh this is such a tough one!

Ugh.

Umm...

Are you getting professional care for your OCD? I would start by asking them. Lets keep you sane too!

I do take Paxil 60 mg a day. I also have a therapist that I can see more often if needed. THe key is going to be to find a way to keep me accountable without triggering the obsessive thoughts. How do the rest of you handle this?:thumbup:

If you have the discipline to stick to what is working for you now, then I say leave things the way they are. I only weight 1x a day, but I know there are others who weigh several times daily -- I don't see the sense in it as your weight is going to fluctuate daily due to Water if nothing else. I haven't been taking my measurements - however, I can tell it in my clothes and that is very rewarding.

I would ask your counselor/therapist what she/he thinks and follow their advice as they know you better than any of us.

If I got on the scale everyday, I think I would go crazy. I only allow myself to weigh once a week. Sunday morning is my weigh-in day. I have my hubby check it with me. That way, I keep myself accountable. I think that one's weight fluctuates so much from day-to-day, that I have never seen the point in weighing every day.

i have a very very similar problem and so i dont end up hurting myself one way or another i am not using a scale until solids. i am going to measure myself once a week always no more no less. when i start weighing myself it will only be once a month, if i can handle it. it is really easy for me to start getting depressed and crazy over my weight. i have done very well keeping all the disorders i have i check. i would love to weight and measure myself every second but in my heart i know it is not safe for me. i think it is something you really have to think about honestly and talk to your therapist and those who know you best. you might be doing fine with it for awhile and then have rough spots and need to change your plans and it is good to have honest feedback so you know when you need a change even if maybe you dont want to. i decided to focus on healing now and to stress the rest later. i monitor what i eat for what my body needs to heal and i get weighed at the doctors. the scale is just too stressful. i know i am losing because i know i am doing the right things with my time and energy. i monitor those things rather than a number because they tell the whole truth of what i am doing and what i can control.

I'm a scale "Junkie".....

I weigh everyday, and sometimes I weigh after I come home from work.

This is what keeps me accountable. In the past, I hated the scale and would turn away when the doc weighed me. And I never had one in the house when my weight was the worst.

The day I came home from surgery, I stopped at the store to get my scripts filled, and I bought a scale that day.

I can't imagine going a month without weighing...it's too scary to think I might gain too much to set me back. I have gained 2-3 pounds and then lost them, but what if I didn't notice them each week? It would end up being over 8 pounds for a month and that would depress me.... so daily works for me.

I have measured since my consult visit, and I only do that every Monday.

Whatever works for you and your OCD is what you need to focus on.

I am 4 weeks out tomorrow and for the last two weeks had been weighing myself daily. In past weight loss attempts I would usually weigh myself twice a day and look for an average pattern/range to see that I was losing weight. It seemed to work well and I was not one to get depressed by the scale, instead it motivated me.

Well, I've been in a stall for about 11 days and decided yesterday to stop weighing myself daily for right now. I was starting to feel down about not losing (actually gaining a pound) even when I was adding more Protein, Water, and walking. I'm realizing this is a very different experience than any other weight loss I've had (as it is supposed to be), before, even during a plateau, I could make changes in eating or exercise to get the scale to budge, so weighing myself was a good motivator to make those changes. For now, I think it's just better if I do a weekly or twice a week weigh in.

As for measurements, I measured the morning of surgery and took pictures. My plan was/is to do this monthly. I know how my clothes fit and if they are getting looser, so until I get to the point where I can't tell I'm shrinking by my clothes, I think I'll definitely stick to monthly for that.

These are just the things that are working for me right now. I'm just at the point where I'm trying to figure out what works for me and plan on doing some brainstorming with my therapist as well.

Good luck on your journey!

If you can manage it, weighing once a week is a good way to stay accountable without going nuts. Maybe you could find a scale not in your house... like at the doctor's or the gym.

I would go nuts only weighing once a week because I would expect a loss when I weighed each week. This way weighing every day, I pretty know what to expect when I get on there.