Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been considering surgery for some time and really looked into it this summer. Saw a surgeon who recommended the sleeve. I felt I was sure, and then all of a sudden had a change of heart. I know this probably normal but wonder if others felt so indecisive. One minute I feel sure this is right and I can do it, the next I think I must be crazy wanting to mutilate my stomach..... How will I get to the point where I can make a decision if I go back and forth so much. I must admit that I also am afraid of the pain from the surgery and that does go through my mind as well.

Thank you for your insight!

I had my first consultation with Dr Pomp a year and a half ago. I had most of the tests but i was doing very well with my lifestyle so well that decided that I did not need the surgery. For me its now a year and a half later and i keep wondering where I would be now if I had the surgery then. Now I can't wait to get into that operating room!

Whatever you decide good luck

Edited by kromrider

Hello to both of you and welcome to our forums. It is perfectly normal to get nervous and have second thoughts about weight loss surgery, or any type of surgery for that matter. I didn't once think of it in terms of mutilating my stomach. For me, I knew I would still have a fully functioning stomach, it would just finally be the size it needed to be for me to better be able to control my food intake.

In terms of pain, I was actually very surprised at how minimal the pain was. I have had numerous surgeries, and of all the ones I had, the sleeve was the least painful. I think as others post in this thread, and as you read more through the forums, you will find that most people find the amount of pain one encounters with this surgery to be very minimal.

I could barely tell I had surgery. I love the sleeve. I loved losing weight right from the beginning and I had no pain to speak of. I went back to work in less than a week.

Totally normal to be nervous. I was nervous about it and I normally do not get so.

I will say this IN ALL SERIOUSINESS this is a life altering surgery. YOU cannot eat like normal people any longer. You will be full and uncomfortable if you are not careful of what and how much you eat.

Do I regret it---NOPE however I wish I would have known about the indigestion and the pain if you over eat....IT SUCKKKKKKKKKKSSSSS

To me this was the last choice after YEARS of trying to be at a normal weight

I understand how you feel and welcome! I have not had surgery yet. My surgery date is 5 days from now. If you run across some older posts of mine I am expressing my apprehension about removing a portion of my stomach. You stop and think

"Am I crazy? What in the world am I thinking? I like my stomach. Nature gave it to me. Why would I give someone permission to take most of it out?"

You are acting in your own best interest to be cautious when making a major medical decision. Good old fashioned time helped. Just time to absorb your decision and come terms with it. Remember you can continue with the tests before surgery and the whole “process” while still having doubts. No one is going to force you to have the surgery. You can back out at any time. You are in control. You are making the most important decision of your life. I believe these are perfectly normal and healthy thoughts to be having.

5 days out from surgery I can say I have anxiety but I am fully at peace with my decision and I am ready. My psychiatrist was kind enough to give me medication to help with the anxiety. Don’t be afraid to ask for some if you need it.

Keep us updated no matter what you decide!!!

I believe it's completely normal. VSG is a life altering surgery. As Bearded mentioned, you will not be able to eat like you did before. You will have to make changes to your lifestyle. Period.

For me, I focused on the reasons I needed/wanted the surgery. I knew my trend...lose a few pounds, gain it back plus some. Being only 28 at the time of surgery, I was especially concerned about having surgery. But I knew that I wanted to enjoy the rest of my 20's & I wanted to enjoy my babies while they are still little. I had heard many people say they wished VSG would have been available when they were younger. I've never heard anyone say they wished they had never done it.

If you are truely undecided, then I suggest you research a bit more & make a list of pros/cons. If you know in your heart you are doing the right thing but you (like me) worry a lot & your mind is questioning things when your heart knows the truth, then you have to overcome those fears.

It is scary. But so was my emergency c/section. But it had to be done so both my baby & I could stay alive and remain healthy...I looked at VSG the same way. It had to be done so I could be healthy. For me & my family this has been one of the best decisions we've made. Mommy is happier & healthier so everyone in the family benefits! :)

As far as pain goes, I have a high tolerance for pain...the pain was barely noticeable. The worst pain comes from gas and is usually short lived. I don't consider the VSG a painful procedure at all. It was NOTHING compared to recovering from an emergency c/section!

Can I ask...do you have family support?

Wow! Thank you all so much for your responses and insight. I so appreciate them. In my heart I feel like the surgery is the right decision for me and think it will happen for me. Jennifer you asked me if I have family support - yes! I do. My husband at first was very apprehensive about it (worried I might die from the surgery) but we had a very heartfelt talk and I shared how much my weight has dragged me down and changed who I am and I think he understood after that how I really felt and has said he will support me no matter what I decide. I think he just wants to back off and let me figure it out so he has been pretty quiet about it lately. I have to grown children. My daughter 22 - said "go for it mom, I know it is a struggle for you". My son 25 - is more of a worry wart but said he knows it is my decision. This is a great website. I was on Obesity Help and really felt more scared than anything reading most of the posts. This site seems more helpful and supportive to me (but of course just my opinion) It is good to know I have a place to come to ask questions about the surgery and hear from the experts- the people who know and want to help. Thank you

Dybarra,

Hello and welcome to the forum. I'm glad you found us. The people on this board are more like family that are trying to support each other. I'm sure you will find answers to all your questions here.

Yes, we are all one big happy family over here. I do read posts over there, but I don't have the connection that I need and get here.

Welcome Dybarra - and I'm glad you're finding what you need here - we are all very supportive of one another and not derrogatory or negative - straightalking at times; however only for your own good and not meant to hurt you if that makes any sense.

Decision is sometimes straightforward with only one clue and answer. But having options; particularly considering the sleeve without available long term medical experience makes the decision difficult. It seems all of us passed the same experience. By the end of the day, sleeve seems though irreversible, minimally invasive. Still, if loss of weight is not satisfactory, a complimentary surgery ( duodenal switch or bypass) can be contemplated.

Edited by drmedhat