Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Eating out of controll

Hi I am new to the form and I am scheduled for my VSG on September 3, 2009 with Dr Pomp in NYC. Over the last two weeks I have really been eating out of controll. I treat every meal like it might be my last. no matter what i do I can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone have any sugestions?

i have to admit i went tho the same kind of thing but wasnt out of control...i said goodbye to all these foods one at a time. kind of like a disconnection. your pre op diet will start soon enough, and then its straight and narrow with no mistakes....so...i reckon enjoy it but enjoy it without stuffing it in! have a little think about it!

ps if you havnt given up carbonated drinks, NOW is a great time to start weening!!!

good luck!!!

Ange

Welcome to the forum and the family. Glad to have your here.

As for the eating out of control -- keep in mind that you will still be able to eat all of your favorite foods - however, you will only be able to eat them in smaller quantities (after the post-op diet of course) ... so it's not that you won't EVER be able to eat whatever you want -- maybe if you tell yourself that, you won't feel the need to gorge now and feel a "loss" of something. Hope that makes sense.

Oh dear, I so can relate. My surgery is on 9/15 and after signing the consent papers yesterday my surgeon told me to start the pre-surgery liquid diet immediately! I said, "well...can't I have one more day and start tomorrow :sneaky2:?" He looked directly at me and said "Yes but don't gorge yourself please." Hmmm, and I am going to a great hotel on the beach in Montauk this monday for a couple of days with people that plan to eat eat eat!!! :sad0::scared0:

Hi, welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting a surgery date. Now you have a specific day to plan for.

As far as your eating, I totally understand. I had at least 2 weeks of "last meals" as I called them prior to my pre-op diet. I knew I would never be eating like that again and it was my way of preparing myself for what I was going to be giving up to get my new healthy life. The strange thing is that at the end of the 2 weeks I didn't even want the food. I was sick of eating. My suggestion is to go ahead and have/enjoy your meals but try not to really gorge yourself. It is all a mind game. It will all work out and you will be able to eat everything that you are eating now after your post op diet.

Good luck to you and hope to see you here again.

I can fully relate. I have been working out like crazy because I can't gain anyway weight before surgery and I have been eating everything in sight the last week. Red Lobster? Sure! Applebees? Bring it on. Mexican? Can't wait.

As you are making meal plans just make sure you are remembering that any weight you put on you will have to lose later.

Hi I am new to the form and I am scheduled for my VSG on September 3, 2009 with Dr Pomp in NYC. Over the last two weeks I have really been eating out of controll. I treat every meal like it might be my last. no matter what i do I can't seem to get a handle on it. Anyone have any sugestions?

Are there going to be negative consequences to gorging? For example, some docs won't do the surgery on you if you gain between the consult and your surgery and some want you to lose weight in that time.

If there aren't, well... it's all going to be over in two weeks so it's a problem time will cure, one way or another. :sneaky2: If there are, you need to remind yourself that you'll be able to eat anything you want eventually, just in smaller quantities, so there is no reason to have a "last meal" of absolutely everything.

I did treat myself a little bit more leading up to surgery, but I was still counting calories and I still lost weight. I didn't go nuts, but there were a few things I knew I wouldn't have a lot of for months on end so I wanted a taste pre-op to last me... but I just had a taste as it was all mental anyway and a taste was enough to satisfy whatever was going on in my head.

Thanks for all of the welcomes and replies. I did have a pretty good day today so hopefully I am on the right track. I realy just want to get the surgery and move forward with my life!

I think its' somewhat a normal thing. Instead of watching and trying to lose wt. before my sleeve in Aug 09. I found myself eating all my favorite foods.

Hi, welcome to the forum. Congrats on getting a surgery date. Now you have a specific day to plan for.

As far as your eating, I totally understand. I had at least 2 weeks of "last meals" as I called them prior to my pre-op diet. I knew I would never be eating like that again and it was my way of preparing myself for what I was going to be giving up to get my new healthy life. The strange thing is that at the end of the 2 weeks I didn't even want the food. I was sick of eating. My suggestion is to go ahead and have/enjoy your meals but try not to really gorge yourself. It is all a mind game. It will all work out and you will be able to eat everything that you are eating now after your post op diet.

Good luck to you and hope to see you here again.

Hello,

I have been going through something similar. I am getting closer to finding out if my surgery will be approved and I am getting more anxious. I fell off the wagon big time the last day or so. I went to the store and I bought some sweets and went overboard. IS THIS NORMAL BEHAVIOR FOR MOST PEOPLE PRE-OP? When I told someone what happened, they said that is what they are worried about if I will do that after I have the surgery and put all my weight back on. I feel better after reading this and knowing that others have had similar experiences. I hope that it is just a phase and not an indication that I will be a failure after surgery. Any comments on this subject will be helpful, I want for this surgery to be a success and I want to be successful at losing weight and maintaining a healthy goal weight. Thank You!!

My nutritionist told me that "last meal" eating is normal. I did really did not do all that much damage and now 7 weeks after my sleeve I am doing fine.

As a therapist, I would agree that this reaction is common. We do it in part because we have made the idea of "diet" mean that "we will never be able to eat those BAD foods again". This thought of depriving ourselves sets in motion a reaction to eat everything in sight. This is our conditioned response. I have used hypnosis as a way to help block those impulses. I caution the advice to just allow yourself to eat all these last suppers. I have worked at changing my thought patterns out of my "dieting" mode into my "eating for health plan". I chose what foods I want and what portion size will satisfy my body's needs rather than my taste buds needs or head hunger needs. I have been able to follow Dr. Aceves' pre-op diet for 11 days without craving food and without my usual obsessive thoughts of food. I have 5 days left before surgery and after the first 3 days of carb cravings, it has gone easy.

As a therapist, I would agree that this reaction is common. We do it in part because we have made the idea of "diet" mean that "we will never be able to eat those BAD foods again". This thought of depriving ourselves sets in motion a reaction to eat everything in sight. This is our conditioned response. I have used hypnosis as a way to help block those impulses. I caution the advice to just allow yourself to eat all these last suppers. I have worked at changing my thought patterns out of my "dieting" mode into my "eating for health plan". I chose what foods I want and what portion size will satisfy my body's needs rather than my taste buds needs or head hunger needs. I have been able to follow Dr. Aceves' pre-op diet for 11 days without craving food and without my usual obsessive thoughts of food. I have 5 days left before surgery and after the first 3 days of carb cravings, it has gone easy.

That sounds very sensible and I'm sure you are going to do great. Let us know how you are doing after your surgery.

Wow, Norma, thanks for that post! Your words are VERY helpful!!

I too am struggling with trying to change my thought patterns about food and that it's not going to be a "diet" post-surgery, it's going to be a lifestyle change for my health!:biggrin0:

I'm glad to see that this is a NORMAL response and that (it seems like) many of us are trying to rationalize and deal with internally! I haven't gone TOO overboard myself, but I could see myself heading that direction and trying to say goodbye to the foods that I have loved for so long! I know it will be something I will need to work on for a long time I'm sure. :blush:

BUT, I'm actually SO looking forward to being able to eat like a bird so that one day I can be a hot chick!! HAHAHA! (Thanks Aunty Linda!):huh0: