Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have a question about the post op course- I understand the rationale behind the Clear Liquids, full liquids and soft foods, but what I don't understand is the progression of solid foods. At first you only eat a couple of bites and then progress to maybe a lean cuisine. Isn't your stomach healed by the time you eat solids? Why the slow progression? Someone asked me and I couldn't really answer..... look forward to learning from you guys

solid food is very different than mushies. If you dont tolerate some of the milder solids then you can go back to mushies and not cause yourself any undo discomfort or possible damage if you start vomiting or something gets a bit stuck. Everyone heals at their own rate and some just take longer, so it is just more prudent to start slowly until you are sure you can tolerate graduating to something more solid.

You will not be able to eat the size of a portion of a lean cuisine if that's what you're asking. In the beginning, your stomach is very tiny and when you move off mushies, you can only eat a few bites of solids.

The reason for the slow progression from liquids to mushy to solids is the staple like has to heal and you don't want to put any stress against that staple line.

When you say in the beginning the stomach is very tiny does it stretch?

From what I've seen in my research is the stomach is still swollen & that is the reason it is very tiny during the beginning. I think it takes a while for all of the swelling to go down. I'm not sure it stretches...althought I guess it could a little, but definitely not back to the way it was.

It does stretch somewhat but not nearly as much as the stomach they make when the gastric byspass surgery. They use the muscular part of the stomach that isn't as stretchy to do a sleeve stomach.

I also think one of the issues may be food intolerance. I know I've had a couple of things post-op that were fine before, but now, they made me feel horribly nauseous. I was always told to incorporate solid foods very slowly so if your body doesn't like something you can pinpoint and avoid it. I recently figured out that I can not have bar-b-que flavored chicken wings from a local pizza place here. I had zero issues pre-op, but I was in misery for 2 hours after eating just 2 tiny wings. I didn't eat the skin or any fatty tissue either. Least to say, I was not a happy camper, neither was my tummy. I'm about 10 weeks post-op, and still learning how and what to eat. Every day brings a new challenge especially with solid food.< /span>

The best advice I've seen was given to someone by their doctor:

"I've given you the stomach of a baby. Raise it well."

It really is like when you start your kid on solids. One new food a day. If it's rejected, try it again later when you're more healed. Go slow. Etc.

Tiffykins,

Nice to hear you talking about regular food...not so long ago you could not put anything in there! I will remember your struggle when I have my surgery and am feeling like I'll "never eat again"!

You've lost over half your weight, I see. Congratulations!

The best advice I've seen was given to someone by their doctor:

"I've given you the stomach of a baby. Raise it well."

Love the quote!