Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

VSG is my last resort - but am I giving up to quickly on losing weight on my own?

I am scheduled for mg VSG on 090909 with Dr. Cirangle in San Francisco. While I am excited, I also feel like I have really let myself down - you know - getting to this point. I feel like I have given up on losing weight 'on my own' and now I am having most of my stomach CUT OUT of me. How did I get here?

Did anyone else have these feelings before surgery? I am not getting cold feet - I definitely am doing this, I am just feeling disappointed in myself.

Anyone?:confused1:

We all feel that way. We have all been on every diet that is out there. We have all lost weight on our own. If any of us could keep it off on our own, we would not have had the surgery.

What you are feeling is normal. The sleeve is great and I have not regretted it for one single second. I am not hungry and I love getting full on such small portions.

There are some people who do gain some of their weight back, if you don't change your eating habits. You can still snack all day long, after you are off the post op diet.

Only you know whether or not you are ready to change your eating habits and exercise, and not eat junk food which will sabotage your weight loss.

gms1972, welcome to VST! It is perfectly normal to have second thoughts before undertaking surgery such as this. However, many of us have been on diets most of our lives and have tried just about every diet known to mankind. We are usually successful with those diets, for a time, but eventually end up straying and gaining everything we lost back, and more. There comes a point when we just really have to take control of our health and our future and do something permanent. You know when you have reached that point. You just have to be prepared and committed to making the lifestyle changes that this requires too. If you are, then you are ready and will do well.

Welcome GMS - sorry you feel you are taking the easy way out because TRUST ME you are not - this is not the "magic pill" that is going to make you thin -- the sleeve is nothing more than a dietary tool to help you get the weight off and, more importantly, keep it off. If you are thinking this is a quick-fix and you're taking the easy way out - you'd better do some more research. I am 2 months out and have lost 35 lbs. -- however, it hasn't been easy - however, I am willing to do the hard work to get the weight off and to keep it off - I can lose the weight on any diet -- however, keeping it off is another story. Don't beat yourself up about taking the easy way out ... major surgery, having the majority of your stomach removed is definitely not, IMO, the easy way out.

Welcome! What a great date for a new life! I know there is one other person here with the same date but I can't think of their name right now.

I totally understand that this isn't the easy way out...the time,money and difficult conversations with friends and family have proven that. I guess I'm just shocked that I am finally at a place where I have given up on losing weight without surgical intervention.

Thanks for all the hearfelt responses...this is a great board.

G:001_smile:

The definition of insanity - Doing the same thing over and over but expecting different result....Thats what my dieting all these past years has been, insane. I chose something different to get the results I wanted. I needed to take some desperate measures to get what I needed. I need a tool to work with to get there. That is what the surgery is, a tool to help us get our desired results. The tool does alot of the work but we still have to control it.

I agree with all the others. Trust me, this is not the easy way. You have to follow the post op rules, you have to listen to your body, you have to change your eating habits. The thing is...the surgery gives you a tool that reminds you if you stray. It keeps you from eating too much and helps you stay on track. You've made a life-changing decision. Congratulations and welcome!

Sure you can lose the weight ... the problem I have (and probably you too) is that you can't keep it off ... the sleeve will help you be able to not only lose it, but also KEEP it off.

Yeah, I felt that way, but intellectually I knew it was crazy. I've been dieting since I was 13! How many times can you do the same thing over and over expecting different results? I had to give myself a break... yeah 1-5% of people are able to lose 50 lb. or more and keep it off for 5 years, but 95-99% aren't. I had to ask myself why I was beating myself up for being in the 95-99% and I had no good answers.

Now I'm just happy I did it.

Yea, I really wish I had done it sooner. I spent way too many years exercising my brains out and not losing an ounce.

This is what I will hear tomorrow when I break the news to my dad of my decision to have WLS. I can predict that he will tell me that I am taking the easy but most risky way out. I will not agree however. Having major surgery is by no means easy. I have come to terms finally (and I am 54), that I am not able to conquer this thing in the state my body is in. The change in my anatomy gives me at least a fighting chance. If all goes well with my surgery then I am anticipating to see better results when I exercise and eat to satisfy a normal appetite. This is nothing but easy. Because of this surgery I am forced to alter my relationship with food. Food eaten for years for all the wrong reasons. I will now have to face feelings that will surface. Feelings that I will no longer be able to suffocate with food. And I am willing to seek the support which I know I will need. Finally I am willing to do whatever it takes. I know this because I am willing to risk having a major surgery to help myself. This is one of the hardest things I've ever done. I hope you can relate. I hope this helps.

I never told my dad. I didn't want to hear his negative comments. In fact, there aren't very many people that I told.

We will all be here to support you. Having this board makes all the difference in the world.

Me too! ....dieting for 50 YEARS. That's FIVE ZERO YEARS. !!!!!

But I am going to spend the last 20 years of my life at a healthy weight, with a healthy eating pattern. NOT a DIET!

Will soon be setting a date because I am satisfied with the research I have done through this site and online, no looking back. This week I started easing into more exercise and cutting calories, and have lost 6 lbs already, in 7 days! I can feel it. Getting ready and loving it!

I am so looking forward to the new me!