Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Hello I'm about to be "sleeved"...The date is set for September 15. I am female and 54! The way my body has sort of slowed down, I hope I am not too old for this. I'm nearly 100lbs overweight and I have tried and failed to sustain significant weight loss for too many years. At this stage of my life I am really seeing/feeling the consequences of having excessive fat everywhere on my body. It is no longer only a what I look like issue, my health is rapidly going south. I consulted with my primary care physician had some bloodwork done to check my thyroid and was diagnosed with hashimoto's. I went on armour thyroid and tried synthroid too for a year or more. My journey really began last summer when I became determined to do something about my ever increasing poundage. Taking thyroid meds didn't do anything to increase my metabolisim or energy. In mid May I started to swim at a local beach for 2-2.5 hours. I did this daily, (weather permitting). After that I'd take my bicycle on a 5-6 mile ride, daily. I would eat around 7 high protein/low fat/ lots of veggies.....and admittedly the portions were large as a have always been a volume eater. In earlier decades of my life, this type of regimen would generally work and I'd knock off up-to 30 lbs.....add phentermine (Doctor assisted) and I once lost a whopping 76lbs. But even then as soon as I stopped with the pills the weight crept back up. Back to last summer--by mid September I finally stopped the daily beach swims and weighed myself and to my dismay :thumbup: I only lost 3 lbs.:confused1: It was at that point that I picked up a piece of literature about bariatric weight loss surgery for Lap Band and Gastric Bypass procedures which was mass mailed from a local hospital's "Center for Bariatric Excellence". I went to the informational session and after that consulted with the surgeon there about the Lap Band. I went home that day and began to spend hours daily on the internet researching and came to the conclusion that I felt most comfortable with the Vertical Sleeve Gastrectomy. I had to switch gears and find another surgeon because the one who would have done the band considered the sleeve "experimental". I found another facility and did everything necessary to have my doctor submit to my insurance carrier for approval and the procedure has been approved. I will meet with my surgeon this week. I am very glad that this forum is here since I am comprising a list of concerns and questions to bring with me to my surgeon. It is a comfort to connect with others here. I have found good information, sincerity and humility within these threads. I am a little scared, have a very low tolerance for pain and I realize that I am likely in for a shock where my eating habits are concerned. I am praying that this procedure will go well and that I will not crave to eat gargantuan amounts of food thereafter. I also hope my body will release the lbs which are crippling me physically, and emotionally. I hope I have not put anyone here to sleep. Please feel at liberty to advise me constructively. Thanks to all and best wishes. :blush:

Hello I'm about to be "sleeved"...The date is set for September 15.

Lan2k congrats on your date and also for getting ins to cover. That is awesome.

You will find the sleeve to be the tool for your success. I am older than you and I also had approx. 100 # to loose. I am almost 4 months out and have lost 68# since surgery. I feel great and am able to do so much more that I have for years.

Since the part of your stomach that produces grehlen is removed you do not get hungry however the new smaller amounts were/are hard for me to accept at times. I miss eating but is so worth it.

I decided to try on a suit I have been keeping an eye on in my closet and I almost waited to long to try it. I was a size 26 when I had surgery and the suit is a size 20 and is almost too large. Oh well.

So bottom line I know you will have success and have an unbelievable new life ahead. After the 1st month it is so fun. There are so many high points in every day to give pleasure and know that this was the right decision.

Good luck in your upcoming surgery and with your WL journey. carol

Wow Carol 68lbs is excellent in such a short amount of time! I've no doubt that you are following the post surgery protocol. :thumbup: Thanks for the encouragement. I really appreciate the support!

I am 54 also, you will be so glad you did this, I had almost the same amount to lose when I started last sept. Its never too late.

Yeah Ruthi, I see you have had double the courage and I really admire your strength. My mother is 80 and has all her wits about her. She has been supportive as it is obvious to her that I need help but as surgery draws near she is becoming so scared, afraid that something may go wrong, (we are close). It's hard for me because deep inside I too feel "what if..." This is the reason why this forum is so important! Honestly everytime I log on I gain the courage to move forward. Thank you for your words of encouragement and support. God bless you as you go.

Lan, Welcome to the forum. I'm also 54 and will be getting the sleeve soon. It is a big decision to make but I know it is the right one every time I look at my children and grandchildren. They need me to be healthy and I do not want them taking care of me for years because of my health. Just hang in there and it will work out.

Hi and welcome to our forums. You will find a ton of great support here and learn quickly that we are actually all one big family. Nobody understands what you are going through and about to undertake more than those of us that have been there too.

I am confident that once sleeved, you will see a significant improvement in your health. And, an improved general outlook on life comes with that as you begin feeling better, have more energy and confidence about yourself.

Ky.hen, My surgery is only 2 weeks before yours! I too have a grandchild and a daughter both of whom I am very close. I will hope to keep you informed. Thank you, I am so glad you shared. Ex 20:12 back at you love. Let us keep this going. God bless.

Hi and welcome to our forums. You will find a ton of great support here and learn quickly that we are actually all one big family. Nobody understands what you are going through and about to undertake more than those of us that have been there too.

I am confident that once sleeved, you will see a significant improvement in your health. And, an improved general outlook on life comes with that as you begin feeling better, have more energy and confidence about yourself.

Susan that is how it feels to be here as if I am somehow among good friends and family. I have been reading many of your posts for a while, since I began my research. I am eternally grateful for this venue and your thoughtful and prudent support.:smile1:

Your not too old, I will be 52 on Oct 1st and had the sleeve in July. I read statistics on my surgeon's website that the average age for WLS is 48. Congratulations on your upcoming VG, how exciting!

p.s. I also have a very low tolerance for pain, but they have very good drugs they give you. I took mine for two week post-op. You will be a little sore the first week. Just don't overdo exercising and strain something. It's okay to walk, and they make you walk at the hosp, but don't lift over 20 lbs until your MD says it's ok.

Steph

Edited by Steph_123

Hi Steph, thanks for reading my story. I just moved, Sept. 1st, myself and 2 cats into a 1 bedroom apt. It was a necessary move, since my daughter took back custody of her son, now 14 who I'd been raising since he was 2. Alot of change alot of emotional and physical strain. I've got my kitchen in order and bathroom. I am working on my bedroom and hope to have things ready before September 15. I've been on the pre surgery diet and sticking to it with little effort since there is so much to do and I just don't have that 30 year old energy any longer. But I am getting so scared so scared that something may go wrong. I would express all my thoughts here but there are just too many. It seems such a drastic thing to do...laparoscopic surgery seems like such an awkward way of maneuvering I just wish I were not so afraid. I've had thoughts of last minute backing out. Yours is the first post directed to me since before I disconnected from the www for this move and my computer was reconnected at my new address. I am very glad to see words of encouragement. My grandson is now back with his mother. This morning my 80 year old mother said she had an awful dream last night, that there were cats all around and one of them looked just like one of my cats. In the dream she was saying "I can't take all of these cats, all I can take is 2 " That got me thinking... I worry. All this stress is just getting the best of me. I just hope and pray I make it through. Thank you again for being here.

Welcome to the forum,

I too am a newbie, I believe my sleeve will be done Sept 28. I too was concerned about being older. But people here have been so reassuring, and encouraging even though I am 71!

So we will watch with interest both our stories as we go along our journey towards a healthier life!

Good luck and please keep sharing.

:blushing:

Hi Lan2K.

We will be sleeve sisters, I am going in the same day as you. WE can do this! Good luck and keep us posted on your surgery and weight loss progress...

I will be 57 in Oct. and I have lost a total of 95 lbs.

There are a lot of people who lose over 100 lbs no matter what their age.

You will love the sleeve.