Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Well, had an interesting and somewhat scary experience today. :biggrin0: Just thought I would share. I started back to work yesterday, and my back started to ache throughout the day. Today the back pain was much worse and had to keep sitting down without much relief. I called my doctor who asked me a bunch of questions about the pain. In the end, he said to come in and he would order a CT under contrast. He wanted to see what was going on inside. I asked if it could wait until the morning (I had a meeting this afternoon) but he told me no, he would prefer to see me today. So in a panic, I raced to the hospital, drank the nasty contrast stuff (mixed with cranberry juice - I kept trying to convince myself it was a cranberry vodka with cheap vodka - yuck) and got a picture taken of my sleeve. Once finished, I hiked back across the hospital to my doctor office and was told....my sleeve was perfect. My back pain, was back spasms. Apparently our stomach muscles are anchored in our back. As my stomach muscles spasm due to the stress of surgery, it works its way around to my back. Anyway, now that I know what it is (and that me sleeve is fine), I can tolerate it. Not knowing, well, I thought I was leaking everywhere. Whew!!

That is so scarey, I'm glad it all worked out for the best. Sounds like you had a great doctor that got you in right away to make sure all was fine!!!

Hypersensitive is an understatement. Every little twitch and pain is like - "OMG what just happened?" The back pain just wouldn't go away and kept getting worse - of coarse I was up and about more and more. I kind of feel silly having a CT for back spasms. The piece of mind however is very much worth it.

So glad everything worked out. This afternoon I noticed a soreness in my lower back that is still with me, but today I took the longest and fastest walk I have taken so far. I was going to wait and see how I do tomorrow, glad that I read this.

Glad everything is okay. It's good you got checked out so you know everything is okay!

Linda, I am glad it turned out to be nothing major. I always say better safe than sorry, if you don't know, get it checked out.

Linda - glad you are okay; however, I've had muscle spasms in my back and they are not fun at all. You might try a heating pad when you can to help relax the muscles. The spasms will pass; however the pain is not much fun when it's going on. Glad it was nothing "more"

I'm so glad things checked out okay. I'm sorry to hear you are having back spasms, but relieved that it's nothing worse. I know you must have been scared.

Linda - glad you are okay; however, I've had muscle spasms in my back and they are not fun at all. You might try a heating pad when you can to help relax the muscles. The spasms will pass; however the pain is not much fun when it's going on. Glad it was nothing "more"

Thanks VegasAngel - I tried the heating pad on it this morning while sitting at my computer working - It did help a lot.:laugh0:

Linda,

I have had the same back problems. I have had problems sleeping cause of my back, but I have continued walking.

I have also had some occasional problems with my kidneys since the surgery. I feel like I drink constantly, but stick to it even more as I go. Kidney problems can also feel like back problems, so make sure you are drinking enough water!

Also, if you can find the mint/euculyptus epsom salts at your local drug store for athletes, take a hot bath in those - a life saver!

Also, you can try low impact stretches I was shown that don't endanger your tummy muscles. Lay on the floor with your knees up and your feet flat on the floor. As effortlessly as possible, gently push your foot downwards, keeping your back flat on the ground. Let it just move your hip and feel that movement, but remember to keep it effortless. Start with one foot, then the other, then do both. start with 15-25 on a side and then 15-25 together. remember to keep it slow and effortless, and you want your whole foot to push down and keep flat to the floor as if you were pushing down on the floor.

I hope that makes sense!

Thanks Steve. I will have to try those exercises. My back is starting to feel a little better. I am working on my posture (ya know - suck it in a little). I think I was over compensating for my stomach muscles and my back was doing all the work.

I am glad you are ok!

I had a nightmare last night that after surgery I had a swallow and when the dye hit my stomach it ran right out into my abdomen. It was like a dripping horror show. Ech. I am sure that is what you thought was going on in your tummy!