Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Headaches the first week ?

Did anyone have severe headaches after their surgery? My husband is having some severe headaches after his surgery Tuesday. He has quite a few headaches (sinus) anyway. He thinks it may be related to lack of food (like a fasting headache.) He is on the clear liquid phase now this week. Anyone have anything similar?

Did anyone have severe headaches after their surgery? My husband is having some severe headaches after his surgery Tuesday. He has quite a few headaches (sinus) anyway. He thinks it may be related to lack of food (like a fasting headache.) He is on the clear liquid phase now this week. Anyone have anything similar?

I had a horrible severe headache the day after surgery that lasted until Tuesday when I got home and was able to get in to see my chiropractor. I suffer from TMJ and he was able to realign my jaw. My neck was also out. Once he got me all realigned, the headache went away. Tylenol did absolutely nothing to help the headache pain btw.

I had my surgery on Tuesday as well and have had a headache ever since. Nervous to take anything but getting really tired of them!! How's your hubby doing on the clears? I am so ready to start full liquids....next Tuesday YEA!!!!

Thanks VA for all your advice....you are certainly one to count on! :thumbup:

~jill

Had massive headaches the first week of my pre-op liquid. Probably a combo of giving up coffee and sugars plus the massive reduction in food. My surgery is next Monday (Aug 3) and hope that by giving up those things before the surgery I will not have to deal with withdrawal headaches as well. Maybe liquid Tylenol?

If sinus related, try liquid benadryl (it's allowed following surgery) and liquid tylenol (which didn't help my headaches, but they were more TMJ/muscular related it turns out). The leiquid benadryl definitely dried up all the excess mucus I was producing following surgery and helped me sleep through the night.

Good luck to you - headaches suck.

Well, he spoke to his surgeon's nurse practitioner this morning. She felt that caffeine withdrawal was likely the problem. That had occurred to us as well. Thanks for your responses and hope everyone is doing well.

Ohhhh, so you are the infamous hubby then! Yay kaykay for getting him to join. We love your wife. Oh, and stay away from that pork chop for now!

I did some testing and came to the conclusion that my headaches have multiple sources but one of them is definitely caffeine withdrawal. I decided not to take the my pain medicine but simply have a cup of caffeinated tea. My headache diminished some, but did not go away leading me to the conclusion that caffeine was part of the problem. I am now trying having just a minimal amount of caffeine until my system get's over the withdrawal.

I also think part of my problem was simply a hunger headache similar to when I have fasted in the past. I don't think I was properly managing the amount of Protein I was taking and started making sure that I got a minimum of 40 grams of Protein supplement each day.

Before the surgery I was taking Sudafed for sinus problems. I have a lot of allergies from mold here in the Dallas area. I discontinued it along with all medications except what the doctor told me to take when I left the hospital. My wife spoke to our pharmacist and found out that Sudafed could be crushed even though it's a small red coated pill. Warning: it was coated for a reason, it taste terrible. I think taking a little of that also has helped some. I am still taking my pain med. but it seems I have been able to reduce the frequency.

One additional thing, the liquid mixture they gave me to take for pain includes both Tylenol and Hydrocodone. For that reason I am avoiding taking the liquid Tylenol I purchased prior to the surgery. I know there are a lot of warnings out there about the danger of over medicating with Tylenol causing liver damage. So just a warning, read the information about your medication so you don't end up getting two sources of Tylenol without knowing it.

Edited by fencepost

I couldn't tolerate the crushed medication, so I bought a pill-cutter and cut it into tiny pieces - I was able to swallow the tine pieces and you don't get that nasty medicine taste -- just a thought -you might want to try it that way.

Oohh fencepost. Caffiene is also a primary ingredient in Sudafed. So much so that I cant take it. Withdrawal stinks. I am early in this process and still on the "fence" pun intended. I have startd mixing my coffee 1/2 1/2 Decaf to regular to wean my way off. Hang in there. I love this board as I have already changed my mind from band. Still not sure abount sleeve vs. RNY vs GB but getting closer.

I'm weaning down on the caffiene too so that I don't have to stop it suddenly once I schedule my surgery. This forum sure offers a lot of useful tips to make this process easier! Thanks !

I am bringing this back up. I don't want to do anything since because I am feeling like my headache is taking over. Anyone have any advice? I know I am not getting all my Protein in because I can't seem to drink fast enough.

It is very likely your headaches are due to either caffeine withdrawal or it could also be dehydration... If it's dehydration, that's a serious problem that I would get checked for ASAP. It's SUPER easy to get dehydrated, not being able to drink as much or as often as we might like... I went through this BOTH times when I had band surgery (band in, and when it came out). I actually had to do the IV rehydration. I hope that's not the case for you, but it's something to consider...

Hope you feel better soon. :smile:

Edited by youknowit
typo