Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

For those who remember my update post...I had to go see my PCP to get a new scrip. for crushable BP meds. I brought all of my papers & x-rays from Dr. Aceves to discuss them with her (she knew I was having VSG done). She and I went over it all (she was interested in the post op leak test pictures...she said it really is like a "banana stomach"! :laugh0:). She said Dr. A's surgery report looked great & it appears that I had great care & a great experience. She checked my incision sites & confirmed that they look like they are healing well. I was feeling pretty good! :thumbup1:

Then my BP reading...128/80! I've never had a reading that good in a doctor's office without any meds! EVER! I told her I still get some "borderline" readings at home, but she said we should not do any meds right now since my readings are pretty good & the weight loss has just started. So, for now, I am off my BP meds! :thumbup: I will continue to monitor it at home...she said I should get consistent readings below 130/80 to be considered "controlled". If my readings start creeping up again, I'll need more meds, but MUCH less dosage than before. I made an appointment to go back in 3 months to get some labs done & to re-check my BP.

I left the Dr. office feeling on top of the world! :hurray: (I had a very bad morning before this...my oldest daughter broke her pinky finger while running through the house & we had to go have it set back in place as it was VERY deformed) So, my day began horribly, but ended well.

That is wonderful news! See how it is changing your life already? And, you have only just started. I am so excited for you.

I am sorry about your daughter's finger, though. That can be painful. How old is she?

She is 8. She broke her thumb year before last playing softball. I guess she is just kinda unlucky! I felt really bad for her. She did great, though. The doctor gave her the choice to numb the finger before setting it or just "getting it over with" & she chose to just let him get it done. I am sure it was painful...she cried for a minute or two and then that was it. She's my very tough cookie! :thumbup:

The worst part for her is since she is in a full splint, she can't swim this weekend at her softball party! :thumbup1:

Poor baby, I feel for her and congrats about you meds..I know how you feel. I was taking 7 pills every morning and now I am down to 3. Its a liberating feeling.

She sounds like a pretty strong girl for being just eight years old. I probably would have told them to knock me out before doing anything to it!

Want2 -- that is AWESOME. I have an appt. with my PCP in August and I'm hoping for the same result...I only started having high BP about 6 months ago so hoping by having taken off 28 lbs so far and hopefully more by my August appt. that my BP will be low and he won't find a need for me to stay on it.

I feel sorry for your daughter - that has to really hurt - plus not being able to swim - that's even worse -- could you possibly wrap it in saran wrap and then tape all around it to keep the Water out?

Vegas- We probably could try that, but if it leaked, we'd be in a mess! She goes back to the doctor Tuesday & they will remove the splint and re-evaluate it. We are hoping for a less aggressive treatment.

Good luck with your PCP appt!

How are your readings, still good?

I would love to get off my BP medicine. I am on Toporal XL (yes I know I have to move to the no extended release after surgery) and it gives me strange dreams and makes my scalp feel funny sometimes.

How are your readings, still good?

I would love to get off my BP medicine. I am on Toporal XL (yes I know I have to move to the no extended release after surgery) and it gives me strange dreams and makes my scalp feel funny sometimes.

So far my readings are good! I do have some occasional borderline readings (130-140/80-90) but after resting for about 10 minutes it is "normal". :biggrin: I really didn't expect to come off of my meds b/c hypertension runs in my family (even in the non-overweight family members). So, I am still bracing myself for having to go back on meds, but it would be a much lower dose than what I was taking. I was maxed out on the Procardia & my BP still wasn't what my PCP refered to as "well-controlled". My next option was going to be adding another med to the Procardia...so I'll accept having to be on one med, low dosage if that does indeed happen.

Good luck with yours!

BMI 35 - 45 : EWL - 82.2%

BMI 45 - 55 : EWL - 73.4%

BMI 55 + : EWL - 52.1%

If BMI is 50 or less, then less than 10% have significant regain. BMIs of 50 and up see more regain, typically 15%.

Those are from my surgeon's practice and will be published this Fall. Surgeons who use larger boughie sizes (significantly larger, not 2 f larger), tend to get lower results. When they were using 48 f boughies, they found significant regain at 3 years out.

Jenn,

This is GREAT news! Things like that are the reason why we chose health over obesity. Sending my prayers your way that you are able to remain off these meds. Please keep us posted!