Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I spoke with Nina and Monica w/Dr. A

I am trying to set up a surgery date with Dr A.

Can anyone tell me what pre-op changes and diets that want me to do?

Trying to stop smoking as we speak.. I don't know if they will do it if I smoke.. Nasty habit, i know... I'm seriously trying to stop as we speak. I'm down to half a pack instead of a little over a pack a day.

Low Fat and Low Carb High Protein Diet Pre op is this correct..

Anything ya'll can tell me to help me out in preparing, I'd love to hear.

Thanks for all the great info I'm sure I will be getting..

Hugz

Penny

The low fat high protien diet is correct!! Shrinks your liver. The smoking thing for me was hard---I had surgery on the 11th and have not smoked since the 9th. GOOD LUCK

Hi Penny,

If your BMI is more than 40, he requires you to follow a low fat diet with a minimum of thirty grams of Protein a day for one week prior to your surgery date. Once you are there and have had all of your pre-op work done, you are then allowed a final meal the night before your surgery consisting of anything your heart desires.

I have never smoked, but know of several people who do and understand how difficult it is to quit. I wish you luck with it, you are doing good just by cutting back. I know you can do this. You can do like many of us have done, and transfer your addiction to VST instead! :lol0:

Bearded did they require you to stop smoking, or did you decide on your own to stop? I've been cutting down for the past month. I do a little better every day. I'm nervous and excited. I will find out tomorrow if I meet their criteria and they will schedule me.. I'm shooting for the 29th of July or the 5th of August. I'll know when Nina or Monica call me back in the morning..

I'm all ears for any and all advice ya'll have to offer.

What do I take with me to the hospital? do you get there the day before surgery or the day before that? DO you fly out the same day you are releasesed or do you stay a night and leave the next day?

Did anyone go without a passport? They keep telling me the receipt where I applied, my birth certificate, and a photo id are all I'll need... Please advise.. Thanks again!!!!:lol0:

Oh I forgot to ask, did ya'll book a flight to get in San Diego the day before the procedure or the day before that day??

And booking for coming back, do you book it the day you are released from hospital or the day after that?? Just not sure when to look for airline tickets..

you will be picked up in San Diego between 10:30 and 11:00 a.m. the day before ur surgery. you will preop that day. you will need to book ur departure flight after 1:00 pm ur 4th day. (3 nights in the hosp).

Penny, usually, you arrive at the airport in San Diego on the day before surgery. Then, Dr. Aceves' driver picks you up and takes you to the hospital where you have all of your pre-op work done. Once that is complete, he takes you to the hotel for the night. They pick you up early the next morning, which is the day of your surgery. You spend three days in the hospital and then the driver takes you back to the airport and you can immediately depart for home from there.

I am not sure about the passport, when I went in April, they were still accepting a birth certificate.

You should email nina and she will email you back a nice explanatory email telling you everything you need to know. It has what to bring to the hospital, what to buy to have on hand afterward, etc.

Thanks, I'll email her and get the infomation she has to send out.

The earliest arrival time I can have for San Diego is 10:45 arrival. That would mean I only have 15 minutes to depart the plane and find the gentleman sent to pick me after getting my luggage.. I'm gonna be in big trouble! no way i'll be ready to be picked up at 11 am.. I'll have to speak with Nina or Monica about that when I talk to them tomorrow...

I'm so excited that I'll be getting a date tomorrow.. I can't wait!!!!

Hugz,

Penny:biggrin0:

Penny

I am sure that if you get there at 10:45, Ernesto will wait for you -- you may not need to check your luggage as you don't need that much while you are in Mexico so if you have carryon only, your departure will be even quicker.

Once your date is scheduled, Nina will send you several emails with what you will need to bring, buy, etc., etc. - if you have any questions after that, you can ask her or us ... several of us have had our surgery in Mexicali!

Thanks! I'll be looking for the information from Nina and if I have more questions, I know where to find people in the 'know'!

I appreciate ya'll taking time to answer my questions. I'm just trying to figure it all. Seems I think of nothing else all the time right now..

night ya'll

Penny~

Penny, we are all glad to help you out and answer any questions you have. This is a life changing decision, and a very exciting time. Thank you so much for sharing with us and allowing us to get to know you as you go through this wonderful journey.

Just got an email from Nina and she said the 29th is open if I'd like to come on the 28th and that I would be headed home on the 1st. She is going to check for me and see if they will extend the July price until August and if so, they are going to try and get me in on August 5th.. Woo Hoo. It is all beginning to come together.

Does anyone know if what they are telling me about getting across border with receipt of passport applied for, birth certificate, and photo id is correct.. I do not want to get stuck.. Monica says they will smuggle me back across if not allowed to cross with the above mentioned items. I think she is teasing me. LOL

Does anyone know if what they are telling me about getting across border with receipt of passport applied for, birth certificate, and photo id is correct.. I do not want to get stuck.. Monica says they will smuggle me back across if not allowed to cross with the above mentioned items. I think she is teasing me. LOL

I've heard both ways - that those items are sufficient and that they aren't. I would suggest calling the immigration office and asking them or checking out the website on line for passports and see if they have make mention of it on the website -- if not, there is a number you can call for answers. Better to be safe than sorry -- and who knows, you might have your passport by 8/4.

Hi to all and hello Penny,

I'm a new poster and I will see you, Penny, in Mexacali. My surgery is on the 28th. I chose to fly into San Diego the night prior to pre-op. I hate the stress of being late. I fly a lot and an on time arrival is rare these days. Nina can set you up at the Comfort Inn in Old Town($100.00) for the night. The driver will pick you up at the hotel the next morning and drive you to the hospital for your pre-op exams. Good luck and look forward to meeting you.

Chas