Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Ok, so I started out thinking that lap band was fo me, but with diligent research decided to go with the sleeve. Thanks to everybody who posts on these sites, as it is INVALUABLE to us newbies to devour everything we can find.

I am now at a crossroad trying to decide on the doctor. While it seems clear that Dr Aceves is an outstanding "sleever" I am having a bit of dificulty handling the logistics of using him in Mexicali.

I know there are other doctors out there, but like anything they all seem to come with a mixed bag of reviews from glowing to frightening. While cost is definitely a factor (let's be honest here) I can honestly say it is not my main concern.

With that said, would/could anyone tell me their opinions about the other sleeve doctors out there...........Ceron, Almanza, verboonen, Joya, etc

If I cannot make it work to go with Aceves, I would love to have a great second choice that is balanced, informed, and researched.

Also, if anyone has any great insight into financing I would also like to hear that as well.

Thanks so much to each of you for your painstaking details and opinions. I value each one I read, even those I really disagree with give me insight into what I want and do not want to do. While I feel comfortable with my decision of the particular precedure, I am not quite settled on the local or physician, and really want to get that firmed up so I can proceed.

Thank you all!

WELCOME to VST .... Glad to hear you've made the decision for the sleeve ... one step out of the way ... now the next step ... the surgeon ... I am sure you will make the best decision for you and your wants and needs and I agree with you that decision should never be made due to $$$.

Read the sticky that WasA posted on researching mexican surgeons. I'm sure others will offer their experiences with the surgeons they chose. Thank you for posting and welcome to the board.

Welcome, GreenBay Girl!

You might try emailing the doctors you are interested in and asking for their complication rates, leak stats and staple line experience and ask for references from people they have sleeved. Those references can probably set up up with other message boards where you could find some good info.

Welcome, GreenBay Girl!

You might try emailing the doctors you are interested in and asking for their complication rates, leak stats and staple line experience and ask for references from people they have sleeved. Those references can probably set up up with other message boards where you could find some good info.

Problem is, one of those doctors does not tell the truth about complications. He claims he's never had a complication, none. Turns out that isn't so true, he's had several quite serious complications.

That's why you can't really depend on being told the truth and you have to read read read and verify as much info as possible.

I have read and researched for quite some time, and I would truly love to use Dr Aceves, however I was looking for a second choice as I might not be able to afford him and there are other doctors out there for less. Again, I am not driven by the lowest price, but $2000+ difference in many of these doctors is alot to consider.

Specifically I am wondering about Dr. Ceron, Dr. Ortega and Dr. Almanza. If anyone has an opinion, good or bad, I would really be interested.

My PCP really wants me to have this surgery and get the weight off, although I am only a 35.2 BMI, as it would be healthier for my heart after a recent mild heart attack.

The extra $$2000+ for Dr Aceves may put my surgery off another year, so I was looking for anther option. I am working hard at coming up with the financing, so if I get lucky and can do the full amount for Dr Aceves, I will go ahead, but if not, I am not sure it's in my best intersest to wait another entire year, IF there is another good quality VSG doctor out there. Any input welcome. Thanks sleevers.

I don't know anything about the other surgeons you mentioned - have you checked out WASa's sticky on how to reserach surgeons?

Not sure if it will help; however Dr. Acves is reducing his rates for July to $8950.

Good luck on your search. I hope you find what you need and are able to get the surgery and not wait another year.

I met with Dr. Aceves and he is really great. I was victomized by a different Doctor and everthing I have heard and read about Dr. Aceves seems very good. I would Talk more to WassaBubblebutt She is really legitt. Good Luck!!

Slim - welcome to the boards, we are happy to have you here. Congrats on selecting Dr. Aceves - he is totally awesome. Sorry for your prior experience with the other doctor - that is definitely a crime.

Wasabubblebutt doesn't post on this site any longer; however, her prior posts contain a wealth of information, especially on researcing a surgeon.

Hello everyone! I am a newbie and am VERY nervous now that people dance around what "doctor" victimizes or has problems. I am scheduled with dr. verboonen for March 29th, have the airfare but will pay the deposit tomorrow. Does anyone know about him. Is my $$ well spent? Help!!!

Jen

Hello everyone! I am a newbie and am VERY nervous now that people dance around what "doctor" victimizes or has problems. I am scheduled with dr. verboonen for March 29th, have the airfare but will pay the deposit tomorrow. Does anyone know about him. Is my $$ well spent? Help!!!

Jen

I haven't heard anything negative about this particular surgeon.

here is his patient review page from OH, maybe you could check with some of those members that had surgery with him.

Bariatric Surgeon Profile - Sergio verboonen, M.D., F.A.C.S.

Also, if you haven't already post this on the VSG board on Obesityhelp.com and see if you can get more information on him.

Best wishes.

Thanks for the help and support. I just found out that I have had responses to my posts... :-) I am still in the process of research even tho I sent my deposit. The two people who know are REALLY concerned that I am going to TJ and I am trying to find out how many sleeves Dr. V has performed. The research continues! Here's to success and healthy beginnings!!!

Dr. verboonen in Cancun ( Galenia hospital) is not F.A.C.S. as he stated on his CV on OH. Why did he have to lie about his credentials? Makes me wonder what kind of doctor he really is.

Edited by FLsun
used abbreviations

I am not sure where you got your information, however I forwarded to a facilitator that I am communicating with, and asking her to provide the correct information. So far, ALL questions have been answered without

sidestepping, and so I am confident she will be honest. I am a week away (and a couple days) and I am still asking questions! :thumbup:

Thanks for sharing information, it is always good to keep looking and verifying things.

Jen