Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

question about amount of food:)

hi everyone ,

so i have a question ... i was talking to this nurse at my daughters ped office today and she was telling me that with the sleeve u eat less then with a bypass ...she said that the tummy can hold alot less and that it's about 1/4 of a cup where as with the bypass u could eat about a cup

is that true?

and another thing i wanted to know is that with the Pasta rice ect..

is it u can't eat that because of weight loss or is it that it would irratate the stomach?

like if u were to have dinner could u have like a little bit of chicken or whatever and a side? or would that be to much ? the reason i'm asking is that my husband is half italian and half lebanese and he's the one that does the cooking and most of the food he makes is like stews with rice or pastas with chicken or beef or lamb like all mixed in .... so i was kinda wondering what happends after surgery ?

and a year out do u still have to chew your food like really really well?

and if u don't do u vomit? or what happends ?

since there is no band can u get ur food stuck somewhere?

sorry for all these questions i'm just trying to get as much info as i can.

thanks ahead of time:)

also if u don't mind when it comes to leaks could u still get one like a year after or something i mean if u were to over eat or for whatever reason could u tear the staple line that far down or do the staples heal and close up like the outside where the incisions r?

Once your swelling goes down, you should be able to eat about 1/2 a cup. That is less than bypass people. I've eaten with them and I'm always shocked by how much they eat! :lol0:

You can eat *anything* with a sleeve once you are healed enough. Some people do have foods that bug them, but that's pretty rare because there is no stoma for stuff to get stuck and we have a normal stomach.

Some programs don't want you to eat a lot of carbs during the weight loss phase. But I think that's up to you. I wanted to lose as fast as possible and my body likes Protein better than carbs. So I haven't been eating stuff like rice or bread very much. I still had them occasionally. Like I had sushi a couple of times. And sometimes when I get a McDonald's snack wrap, I eat some of the wrap.

I am supposed to be adding whole grain bread and Pasta back into my diet but, honestly, I've never been into bread so I haven't done it.

hi everyone ,

so i have a question ... i was talking to this nurse at my daughters ped office today and she was telling me that with the sleeve u eat less then with a bypass ...she said that the tummy can hold alot less and that it's about 1/4 of a cup where as with the bypass u could eat about a cup

is that true?

The nurse is half right and half not. ;o)

Bypass uses the more elastic portion of the stomach, it starts out quite small after surgery but over time it stretches. The stoma created in bypass (tiny pass through for food to travel to the intestine) also stretches over time so bypass folks can eat more.

The quantity we can eat usually depends a great deal on what the food is. If I eat steak I can eat about 2oz and that's it, I'm done. If I eat slider foods I can eat about triple that amount.

is it u can't eat that because of weight loss or is it that it would irratate the stomach?

You can eat it, it's not that it will hurt your stomach but my thinking is that it is white carbs that got us fat to begin with. The way to get thin is to cut out white carbs. We didn't get fat from eating zucchini, we got fat from Pasta type foods.

Each person has to find what works for them.

like if u were to have dinner could u have like a little bit of chicken or whatever and a side? or would that be to much ? the reason i'm asking is that my husband is half italian and half lebanese and he's the one that does the cooking and most of the food he makes is like stews with rice or pastas with chicken or beef or lamb like all mixed in .... so i was kinda wondering what happends after surgery ?

Sure.

I don't have to chew that well. Better than before surgery but nowhere near the same as after a band.

I suppose you could, I never have. Your stomach is like a tube and if you didn't chew reasonably well it could be an ouchy. ;o)

You are doing the right thing, keep doing that!

also if u don't mind when it comes to leaks could u still get one like a year after or something i mean if u were to over eat or for whatever reason could u tear the staple line that far down or do the staples heal and close up like the outside where the incisions r?

Nope.

My surgeon oversews the staple line with stomach tissue and then scar tissue grows over that. It's very similar to the incisions on your skin in the way it heals.

iam doing my research on getting a sleeve done and i could be doing this first week of feb ... thank u so much ... this really helps

hi everyone ,

is that true?

It depends on what I'm eating. I can't eat much meat, but things like veggies/crackers/cheese/chips/soup/yogurt/cottage cheese I can eat much more of.

The only thing that bothers my tummy is pure milk chocolate. With the band I couldn't eat a lot of stuff cause it hurt, irritated the walls of my stomach, or blocked or got stuck in the hole, but with the sleeve, I can eat anything.

best to just use your fork to pick out pieces of meat to eat and then after that eat a couple bites of the rest and you'll be done.

I don't chew well enough. Sometimes I still inhale my food lol. I have never thrown up since I got the sleeve. :thumbup1: I threw up all the time with the band and it wasn't even tightened much!

No, if you eat too much you will feel uncomfortable for about ten minutes, but no stuck crap to deal with. :thumbup:

hi everyone ,

is that true?

thanks ahead of time:)

The only reason with RNY that they can eat more is because their pouches stretch. Most RNY patients need to adhere to stricter diet post-op, and monitor their Vitamin and nutrient level more closely because of the malabsorption factor. With the sleeve, there is minimal stretching, but it's been documented that a sleeve can stretch to about 8oz which is a cup of food. I can eat 3-4oz of dense protein/meat with a couple of ounces of mashed potatoes/green beans/broccoli with cheese sauce/rice with gravy.

As for the pasta/rice question, I eat Pasta, rice or potatoes almost daily. I didn't have this surgery to deprive myself of foods that I enjoy. It's all in moderation. I still eat my Protein first about 85-90% of the time, but if I want Pad Thai, I eat a few bites of the meat, and then fill up on the noodles. I'm at goal and maintaining so it's different once you are out of the "weight loss" stage.

At this point, I do not have to chew my food to a mushy consistency. I do eat slowly, and do not get food stuck. I did early out when "learning" how my sleeve would react to food, but it's not an issue any longer.

Early on I measured my portions by volume not weight. I used one of the children's OTC medication measuring cups to measure my food. Once I moved onto normal/regular food, I learned to eyeball my portions. I posted a couple of threads on what I can eat at this point. If you go to my profile, click on STATISTICS, and find all threads started by me, you will see 2 threads called "FOOD FOR THOUGHT". It'll give you a visual.

As for leaks several months or years out, it is very unlikely. The scar tissue forms over the staple line, and heals normally. Very similar to how other incisions heal within our body. I've only seen 1 case of a patient developing a leak around 3-5 months post-op, but her concerns were ignored, and misdiagnosed, she had been having problems since about 4 weeks out.