Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

?How many ibs a week do u lose?

:biggrin0:Hi, I know it is different for everyone but how many ibs a week do you lose? Is there a certain amount that you should be losing or you must be doing something wrong?

I think the average is about 2 - 3 lbs a wk but I am sure it is different from person to person. I am 2 weeks out and have been stuck at the same weight for 5 days and havent done more than 600 to 700 cal a day at best. However, I havent been doing great on the exercise regime either, although I really work toward being more motivated. Ok, that really sucks but I hate exercise with a passion. I am trying to find something that I enjoy doing that will work for the exercise I need. I am hunting for a nature trail this weekend and a biking trail. That should help some. Just plain exercising is soooo boring to me. Maybe someone should dangle a piece of cheese cake in front of my treadmill.

:biggrin0:Hi, I know it is different for everyone but how many ibs a week do you lose? Is there a certain amount that you should be losing or you must be doing something wrong?

I think it varies person to person and how far out from surgery you are. I am 2 weeks out and have lost 17 lbs -- possibly more, but I haven't weighed in 3 days as I was obsessing over the number of the scale and decided to stick to 1x a week -- Monday -- I will post on Monday the results.

I too have not been great with the exercise. I am not able to get in all the Protein and I am very tired, so once I get home from work, all I want to do is sleep ... or sit ... so I find myself sitting in front of my laptop and reading the posts on here.

My DF and I are going to go out this evening once it cools down a bit more and try the bike riding ... if that doesn't work, then we'll do the walking.

He is tentatively scheduled for surgery on 7/10 so needs to get moving too ... we will hopefully be motiviation for one another ...

It also varies by how much weight you have to lose. Here are some guidelines... they are all a bit different so the idea is to measure yourself against a bunch and see if you are doing okay by most of them even if not by all of them.

Early out .5 to 1 lb. a day, then settling into 2-3 lb. a week, then slowing down to 1-2 lb. a week.

10-20 lb. a month (but heavyweights can lose more and lightweights often lose less after the first big chunk comes off)

Lose 50% of your excess weight by 3 months and 80% by 6 months. That ones a bit aggressive and I don't think it works for the SMO as well as for the MO.

Use this planner to plot your weight loss against someone's estimate:

ObesityHelp - Post-Op Weight Loss Planner

The other thing to keep in mind is that most people don't lose in a steady manner. It's more like a stair step. For example, one month I was losing like this 4-2-4-2. So my average was 3 lb. a week, just like the predictors said. But the 2 lb. weeks were annoying. Plus, then I shifted to only losing 1 lb. on the slow weeks. Ugh.

But I got there just fine and all my worrying was for nothing!

i am mostly worried about the exercise portion. the only things i like to are yoga dancing and martial arts. but since i know that about my self i registered for ballet i the fall. once school start i will be ok because i will be too busy to think about food and i will be walking all day. i am getting nervous as the day get closer. i know this is the best thing for me to do because i can lose weight but i cant keep it off. also, i dont know how eating is going work while at school i dorm so i hope i can eat some solids after the first month. i am not too worried though because i can go a long time with out eating i am more of a binger.

i am mostly worried about the exercise portion. the only things i like to are yoga dancing and martial arts. but since i know that about my self i registered for ballet i the fall. once school start i will be ok because i will be too busy to think about food and i will be walking all day. i am getting nervous as the day get closer. i know this is the best thing for me to do because i can lose weight but i cant keep it off. also, i dont know how eating is going work while at school i dorm so i hope i can eat some solids after the first month. i am not too worried though because i can go a long time with out eating i am more of a binger.

I think Yoga, Dancing and Martial Arts are great forms of exercise -- you definitely burn calories with the dancing and martial arts and the yoga is great for stretching. You should do fine on that aspect.

As for the binge eating -- you won't do it because you won't be hungry.

I hope so because my binging is just a brief impulse and i just stuff myself until i am full. me and food have a love hate thing. this is my second time losing 100s of pounds. the first time i developed bulimia and a diet pill problem. the only good thing about it is that a lot of the healthy eating habits from my smaller days never left me. i still dont like greasy stuff or white bread and most of he time i am good at controlling myself. but not when i am too happy or too low so my weight is always up and down. one week i eat too much the next i dont eat enough. i am bipolar with ptsd so i am all over the place and my wait has a big effect on my stability. that is what worries me about the surgery i hope i dont get too bored and stress out. i will feel much better when i know for sure the insurance will cover it, right now its at 95% sure. and i do have support in some sence but not really. i dropped most of my friends "i needed to their were no good" and i dont go anywhere"i am visualy impaired from albinism so i cant drive". my mom is supportive but she has no clue she was 95ibs after 2 kids then she had me and that changed. she has never had any addiction out side of work. she is such a goody goody.i have told too many people because it is seen as the easy way out and i dont want people to monitor everything i do. and that is my other worry will i be well enough for school in september? sorry for ranting i am the queen of TMI and i love to talk its the only thing that helps. thank you allfor helping

Perhaps you should look into some food counseling for your food issues to work as another tool along with the sleeve. It sounds as though you have some serious issues with food and the counseling may be able to help you determine exactly why you feel that way and how to work through those feelings.

i am in therapy. the world is safer that way lol i have worked on a lot of my issues but the food one just keeps coming up in one form or another. i think the surgery is going to help my therapy because i will be forced to tackle it head to head with the sleeve as support. i know part of the food issue comes from my traumatic background and my relations with people. that is also why i want to lose the weight because it is like i am carrying my past and all its pain with me a the time. i use food to both south as well as punish myself. if i think about as a psychology student " i am a psych and social work major" i understand it, the abuse me claiming my body , keeping safe, needs not being met during the oral stage etc.. which makes it feel even worse because i really do know better and i learn more and more with each course. but when it come to my own behavior i am the slowest kid in the neighborhood lol. i know it takes time and that is what the sleeve will do for. give me time to really think before i act as well as allow me to completely recondtion myself in ever aspect of food and life. it will be like carrying my therapist everywhere i go. i dont know how people could go threough such a big change with out going to therapy. i do think the best therapist are the one that have worked on themselves fearlesly and i want to be good. the main thing that i am worried about is keeping positive andduring the hard times and making the new life work at home alone.

I think a lot of people have been taught that exercise is a very limited set of activities and that they are almost always boring or unpleasant. For me, I learned that in gym class in Jr. High!

But anything that moves your body is exercise. We really need to be active, but that doesn't have mean joining a gym or working out to exercise DVDs. It can be dancing or martial arts or gardening or swimming or joining a softball league. Some of those are better at burning calories or toning your body or building endurance than others but they are all better than doing nothing.

I think making activity an important part of your life means finding a hobby that you love that is active in nature. Now, I went and fell in love with triathlons. So I bike, swim and run and do core strengthening. IOW my activities are more what people think of when they think of exercising. But the important thing is that I love it so I do it. That's the key, IMO.

The fist few months, I lost on average of 5 lbs a week... but that soon went down. At this point, Im happy with 1-2 lbs, but would certainly love for it to be more. I find that when I drink more Water, I lose better.. so I really try for that, but dont always succeed. I usually just forget, even tho I try to keep water nearby all the time.

i am in therapy. the world is safer that way lol i have worked on a lot of my issues but the food one just keeps coming up in one form or another. i think the surgery is going to help my therapy because i will be forced to tackle it head to head with the sleeve as support. i know part of the food issue comes from my traumatic background and my relations with people. that is also why i want to lose the weight because it is like i am carrying my past and all its pain with me a the time. i use food to both south as well as punish myself. if i think about as a psychology student " i am a psych and social work major" i understand it, the abuse me claiming my body , keeping safe, needs not being met during the oral stage etc.. which makes it feel even worse because i really do know better and i learn more and more with each course. but when it come to my own behavior i am the slowest kid in the neighborhood lol. i know it takes time and that is what the sleeve will do for. give me time to really think before i act as well as allow me to completely recondtion myself in ever aspect of food and life. it will be like carrying my therapist everywhere i go. i dont know how people could go threough such a big change with out going to therapy. i do think the best therapist are the one that have worked on themselves fearlesly and i want to be good. the main thing that i am worried about is keeping positive andduring the hard times and making the new life work at home alone.

Been there; done that! :thumbup1: I agree that therapy works and the best therapists are the ones who did the hard therapy work themselves. I like EMDR becasue it has helped me deal with past trauma and with food issues.

I believe that once school starts for you again that things will get easier. Keeping your mind active will help by giving you less time to run around up there in your mind second guessing yourself. Keep posting

Just a note that if you use fitday, they have a program you can download (for a fee) that will help you track your weight loss and will average the weight you have lost on a graph. I have averaged about 3.06 lbs per week since May (before surgery when I was having issues with my band). I downloaded mine in 2005 so I am not sure if they have an updated one or if the web site does it for free now. You can also try sparkpeople.com