Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the sleeve a second WLS surgery for most?

In reading it seems like the sleeve is the second WLS for a lot of people. Have any started out with the sleeve as their first surgery?

Yes I did. I orginally thought about the band but then did loads of reesearch on forums like this and decided on the sleeve. To my mind it is safer than the sleeve as there is no foreign object strangulating your insides!

The sleeve or the RNY... One will be my second surgery- I'm just so confused on what to do???? I love sweets and carbs and I do have will power- but sometimes i give in.

My doctor does both procedures but says that the RNY is more successful... both being the same price makes me struggle that much more on what to do.

This WlS is definatley not an easy decision. This will be my last surgery since my band has failed me... ( I did not fail my band ) I just want to make the right choice....

The sleeve or the RNY... One will be my second surgery- I'm just so confused on what to do???? I love sweets and carbs and I do have will power- but sometimes i give in.

My doctor does both procedures but says that the RNY is more successful... both being the same price makes me struggle that much more on what to do.

This WlS is definatley not an easy decision. This will be my last surgery since my band has failed me... ( I did not fail my band ) I just want to make the right choice....

I would really do some research on that little tidbit. From my research, the sleeve has a lower regain stat, and the initial immediate weight loss is similar between the sleeve and RNY.

I considered both as well, but I knew that malabsorption was not for me. While, I feel the band failed me as well, I was successful in the beginning when I had restriction. That is why I chose the sleeve, a strictly restrictive will work for me, I didn't want to deal with dumping, or having another pouch.

Plus, the actual removal of the stretchy part of the stomach along with removing the ghrelin hormone from my body was pretty much what led me to my final decision of the sleeve. RNY has never really been an option for me, I've seen too many people regain, or have other complications that just have not be found in sleeve patients.

My insurance covered both procedures 100%. I have Tricare prime (military spouse insurance), my husband is active duty Air Force. It is great insurance, but there are hoops I had to jump through to get there.

:o Obesity is EXCLUDED from my Insurance plan...... I'm a self pay patient......... so that's why I have been researching like crazy between the Gastric Sleeve and the RNY-

It's the same price for both- I've decided on the Gastric Sleeve. I don't want Malabsorbtion and I have about 60 pounds to lose total so I feel the Sleeve will allow me to reach that goal. I just want to keep the weight off after the weight loss. The doc's always say the easy part is losing the weight, the hard part is keeping it off.

:laugh0: Obesity is EXCLUDED from my Insurance plan...... I'm a self pay patient......... so that's why I have been researching like crazy between the Gastric Sleeve and the RNY-

It's the same price for both- I've decided on the Gastric Sleeve. I don't want Malabsorbtion and I have about 60 pounds to lose total so I feel the Sleeve will allow me to reach that goal. I just want to keep the weight off after the weight loss. The doc's always say the easy part is losing the weight, the hard part is keeping it off.

Congratulations on making your decision. I know you did a lot of research and I'm sure you'll be happy with your choice.

I feel that the fact that they use the muscular part of the stomach to make the sleeve, it's so much better than RNY.

The sleeved stomach wilI not stretch as much. know so many people who have had RNY and gained weight and can't seem to lose it. Their stomachs or pouch or whatever you want to call it, is all stretched out.

I began obsessively researching the band about three months ago. I waited patiently for my seminar before finding out that my insurance would not cover the band there because it was not a center of excellence. A month later, I met with a second center and listened to the doctor describe all of the procedures. The sleeve sounded fantastic and absolutely perfect. The band, on the other hand, seemed to be something of a risk with slow weight loss, potential for problems. I did not want to have to have 2 weight loss surgeries. HUGE problem, insurance won't cover the sleeve. I have seriously considered RNY since then but I just don't want to do it. Now, I've decided to wait. My insurance company, Anthem Blue Cross, indicated that they will follow suit when Medicare begins to cover the sleeve. In the meantime, my husband and I have decided to try to have baby #3. I really like the idea of being completely done with childbearing before embarking on a fabulous weight loss journey. I can't wait to join you all. If you don't mind, I plan on living vicariously through you all until I am sleeved!!:help:

If you don't mind, I plan on living vicariously through you all until I am sleeved!!:help:

That is a great idea, excellent. Keep researching, learn everything you can. Absorb all the info, know everything. That way you can be as prepared as possible for when you do get your surgery!

Welcome to the forum, we are happy to have you here.

I've never considered the band because I knew too many people in my area that had had horrible problems with slippage and erosion and weird things like that.

I had considered the Duodenal Switch for a second, but I pretty much researched all the continual maintainance and aftercare that malabsorption procedures required and decided it wasn't really for me.

To me the sleeve seems like a modern twist of the good ole' fashioned stomach-stapling. My portions are horrible and that's my main issue, and I know the sleeve can help me with that.

I loved my band, and had it for 18 months before I had to have it removed due to 40% erosion.

I'll be sleeved on 8/14. If I had to do it all over again, I would have been sleeved first, but back in 2003 that procedure didn't have as much visibility.

I initially chose the band because it was "less invasive" and reversable. When the time came to remove it I *knew* I would regain the 103lbs I'd lost with it, and I did and then some. I don't want the sleeve to be reversable!

As far as "less invasive" - my band ended up being three surgeries - install, port revision, removal, endoscopy, and four fills under fluoro which involved very long needles inserted into the port through the abdomen (which surprising weren't really painful, but still, they were "invasive").

So although I felt I was very successful with the band and felt that it did exactly what I expected it to do, in the end it was all for naught because of erosion. I can't even imagine having the daily problems some report whose band journeys have been one great big struggle.

My sleeve cannot come soon enough!

I experienced pretty much the same thing except I only had my band for 6 months and I too gained back some of the weight. I wish I had gotten the sleeve in the first place but even as far back as last spring and summer when I was researching bariatric surgery, there was not alot of info about the band and the surgeons that performed the procedure were few. Even in a city as large as LA there are only a couple that do them now. I am very happy I got the sleeve.

I knew immediately that gastric bypass was not for me. I had settled on the band because I had met people who had gone to Mexico and done well. I guess that I am lucky to have been financially challenged and had insurance companies that did not approve bands. That's how I got to be in the group who will list sleeve as my 1 and only WLS. Now, I would like to be less financially challenged :blush:so that I could get on with my life sooner I hope to be able to set the date sooner rather than later. I am tired of living vicariously through this board.:001_tt2: Hope you guys don't mind putting up with me for a while longer!

I knew immediately that gastric bypass was not for me. I had settled on the band because I had met people who had gone to Mexico and done well. I guess that I am lucky to have been financially challenged and had insurance companies that did not approve bands. That's how I got to be in the group who will list sleeve as my 1 and only WLS. Now, I would like to be less financially challenged :blush:so that I could get on with my life sooner I hope to be able to set the date sooner rather than later. I am tired of living vicariously through this board.:wink1: Hope you guys don't mind putting up with me for a while longer!

I hope things work out for you sooner than later.

As for putting up with you a while longer ... well now, I don't know about that ... :001_tt2: ... I hope we have to "put up" with you for a LOT longer and that it's to hear all about your WLS experience.

Hang in there, it'll all work out the way it's supposed to when it's supposed too. Everything happens for a reason.