Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Complications after Sleeve Surgery

so even if i have an infection they'll still give me medicine for it?

Where I worked, if you were discharge on any meds. They were generally no more than 3-5 dollars a bottle at our county hospital here in Houston and I think if you couldnt afford that, they had some other kind of plan that they worked out for you.

thank god cause after some of the stories i heard about my future doctor i'm nervous about getting infected.

thank god cause after some of the stories i heard about my future doctor i'm nervous about getting infected.

Wow. what did you hear, if you dont mind me asking?

Then I'd definitely be looking for a different doctor.

I think you said in one post that Dr Almanza is your doctor. I don't see any statistics on how many surgeries he has performed on the obesity help website. Has he done at least 300 of the type surgery you are going to have? Once they have 300, research shows their complication rate is low. Unfortunately there are not many surgeons even around the world who have that much experience with VSGs. Luckily, there are a few in the US and in Mexico. You can research this on Obesity help website.

i don't know i don't really wanna say anything to trash them cause there are two sides to every story and complications can happen with all doctors. but i spoke to someone over the weekend that has had the sleeve with them and she had some serious complications. and i don't know what to think, but i might just be starting to doubt my decision on going there. and usually when my insticts are telling me something it's usually right. but the messed up thing is he's the cheapest in mexico, and i already brought a plane ticket.

i'm going to call them tomorrow and talk to them. cause i think i'm starting to let some of the negative press get to me and with the person i spoke to about their experience i kinda am really starting to have my doubts.

I think if you know something about serious complications, you should not be afraid to talk about it. There are people that want to go to a doctor who has not had complications. People should know everything they can find out about a doctor who is going to be cutting on their stomach. It's these boards that gives us a point of reference to do our research.

I know money is an issue, but when someone is cutting on your stomach, it's not always wise to shop for a doctor by price, rather than experience and complication rates.

Edited by Oregondaisy

i'm not sharing cause it's not really my story to tell. The person is on the this board if she wants to talk about it she will. and i spoke to shirley earlier today and i think it might have been just a misunderstanding anyway. it was just one person and she explained the situation a little more to me. so i'm not as nervous about the almanaza group anymore.

i'm the person my probs had nothing to do with my surgery. they are a great team. follow thier orders( meaning walk walk walk i admit i didn't do much of that) and you'll be fine. i'm 32 pounds down and i'm almost 4 weeks outs. Emotional i'm struggling though. i had depression before surgery it feels worst because i miss food. but you have nothing to worry about you are in good hands! :001_tongue:

nikki

Edited by ryansgirl

i don't know i don't really wanna say anything to trash them cause there are two sides to every story and complications can happen with all doctors. but i spoke to someone over the weekend that has had the sleeve with them and she had some serious complications. and i don't know what to think, but i might just be starting to doubt my decision on going there. and usually when my insticts are telling me something it's usually right. but the messed up thing is he's the cheapest in Mexico, and i already brought a plane ticket.

i'm going to call them tomorrow and talk to them. cause i think i'm starting to let some of the negative press get to me and with the person i spoke to about their experience i kinda am really starting to have my doubts.

Wow MnB, please be really careful! Your instincts are always right. . remember the slogan "you get what you pay for" . . . I would hate to see you pay cheaply and the same work done 2x as cheap with tons of complications. . .can't you sell your tickets? get some sort of refund? I'd be really careful. . . Good luck in your decision making. . .thinking of you

i'm the person my probs had nothing to do with my surgery. they are a great team. follow thier orders( meaning walk walk walk i admit i didn't do much of that) and you'll be fine. i'm 32 pounds down and i'm almost 4 weeks outs. Emotional i'm struggling though. i had depression before surgery it feels worst because i miss food. but you have nothing to worry about you are in good hands! :001_smile:

nikki

I'm so glad you are ok. . . sorry about the emotional struggle though, it's tough but together you'll get through it. . . God Bless:001_smile:

Way to go Nikki,

We all go throught the mourning of losing our best friend...It was and still is hard for me, we just have to find other interests.

MNB, if you ask for previous patients emails, they will send them to you. They have a large patient base, so you can hear direct from their patients. I have FIRST HAND EXPERIENCE with this group. Dr. Almana did my sleeve over a year ago, I am still here. No infections, and no problems. You really have to pick and choose who you listen to on these boards. Some people have never been to the Doctor you are discussing, and they will try to scare the willies out of you.

hi, my name is ana, i'm sory four your complications and i wish you All the Best in the World!!!!!!!!!!!! i,m interested in getting a VG so i,m prety much researching and trying to find a good doctor... the fact that u experienced a leak leve's me with the impresion that this was a malpractice..... u should sue your doctor! I would also like to know hwo your doctor is, so that i will not chose him for my surgery. Thank you!!!!!!

Hi, my name is Joy. I am the 1% with major complications. I was found to have a leak 2 weeks out. I will be 6 months out on June 16th and have now lost 52 lbs. Beginning weight 190 now 139. I am only 4 ft 10 in. goal weight 115. Here is my story...

I began having back pain and trouble breathing just before my 2 week check-up. I came in and saw the nurse and she said if I was not feeling better the next day to come back in and I would speak with the surgeon. Sure enough...my 1st real meal (a 2 oz. omlette w/cheese). I felt horrible. I headed in to see the surgeon at 9 am. I had an Upper GI, CAT Scan, and another Upper GI to verify the leak. I was rushed into surgery and then spent 10 days in the ICU. Many complications followed; 2 abcess, infections, lung collapse. 4 days on the ward, 2 weeks of high fevers another admission for 12 days. IV antibotics at home for 2 weeks and I was on the feeding tube for 3 months and 1800 calories a day. So, it took me longer to loose the weight.

Now... I am up going to Curves, walking, and doing Water aerobics. I have lost 10 dress sizes (started size 20 now an 8 -10). 23 lbs from goal weight! Happy and healthier. I have a wound that still has not healed and and a rather large hernia. They want to wait to fix the hernia...so the can fix the tummy at the same time.

If anyone wants to talk about complications...I will be glad to talk.

Edited by ana
information