Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HATED the band, LOVE the sleeve!

Isn't it great???? No more sliming like a drooling St. Bernard, foaming like a rabid raccoon, or stoma spewing like that girl on the Exorcist with the spinning head...

I just thought of something, maybe that girl on the Exorcist wasn't really possessed, she was BANDED!

Ahhh, sleeved life is good. ;o)

And no banded noobs coming to the sleeve section to tell us all how we didn't chew our Protein Shakes well enough.

I'm liking this forum!

You forgot the acid reflux burning a hold in your chest and the not being able to sleep in bed for fear of waking up choking on acid regurgitation.

You forgot the acid reflux burning a hold in your chest and the not being able to sleep in bed for fear of waking up choking on acid regurgitation.

Or choking and barfing on broth while in a public restaurant.

How many symptoms and side effects (as well as specific examples) do you think we can come up with? ;o)))))

And no more fills.....being poked....too much fill....too little fill....what a relief!

How are all the revisions doing with weight loss now that you can eat things you couldn't with the band?

I am at a total standstill....I lost 15 imediately after the revision, but have gained it back and not losing anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nancy

And no more fills.....being poked....too much fill....too little fill....what a relief!

How are all the revisions doing with weight loss now that you can eat things you couldn't with the band?

I am at a total standstill....I lost 15 imediately after the revision, but have gained it back and not losing anymore. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Nancy

How far are you post op? What is your diet like? What is your exercise routine?

I am a year post op. I must admit I do not exercise....or at least very little. I have started a new eating program, so I hope that will kick it in.

I don't want to gain all my weight back that I lost with the band.

Guess I am just being bad.....but worse than I think I am. Or because I work for the Bariatric Surgeon I could have "bariatric burnout" !!!

Thanks for listening!

Nancy:sad0:

I'm am so there with you guys, current bander since November 2008, sooooooo hate it, have tried everything, was such an investment, but its awful! acid reflux, painful to eat almost everything, spitting, uuuhhh, I have been seriously considering a revision for months, actually since I got the band, just didn't want to give up on it, felt like a quitter, defeated. Affordability is going to be a major factor, does anyone know the bets going rate for a revision right now in Mexacali, any recommendations for good/ reasonable doctors? Just finished reading the scary thread of the lady who had leakage, what if that happens in Mexico?? Anyone experienced with this, thank you so very kindly for your time to read and respond, a million thank yous!!! I have to get this thing out

Alexa, I'm sorry that you are having trouble. I almost got the band until I found this board. I plan on getting the sleeve now. You will find a lot of good info here. If you are going to Mexico, please talk to wasa first. She posted above you on this thread. She will give you alot of good info. There are alot of nice people here who will support you.

I hope you feel better soon. Hugs, Judy

I and alot of other posters on this board have used DR Aceves in Mexicali. He is absolutely great!!!! You will probably not hear anything negative about him. I like you paid alot of money in the US for a sleeve but had to have it removed. Dr Aceves did the revision to the sleeve and it was 12,500 for a revision. He does have discount periods however and that would be the way to go. It will be cheaper than in the US and he hasnt had any leak complications. You will also be impressed with the hospital and staff. 12,500 still sounds like alot but it includes alot of other things like hotel and transportation to the airport to mexicali not to mention all of the preop testing and some take home medication post op.

I'm am so there with you guys, current bander since November 2008, sooooooo hate it, have tried everything, was such an investment, but its awful! acid reflux, painful to eat almost everything, spitting, uuuhhh, I have been seriously considering a revision for months, actually since I got the band, just didn't want to give up on it, felt like a quitter, defeated. Affordability is going to be a major factor, does anyone know the bets going rate for a revision right now in Mexacali, any recommendations for good/ reasonable doctors? Just finished reading the scary thread of the lady who had leakage, what if that happens in Mexico?? Anyone experienced with this, thank you so very kindly for your time to read and respond, a million thank yous!!! I have to get this thing out

I do know what it is like when a band goes bad, BTDT. With that said, you have been banded such a short time. Maybe we can find a way to make the band work for you? What exactly is going on?

Understand, I'm no fan of the band but that is what you have. I'd like to see you at least get your moneys worth. How is the weight loss? What is your diet like? How much of a fill do you have? What problems are you having?

thanks so much for your reply wasabubblebutt, I have kept the band thus far to try to get my moneys worth, despite its discomfort and all. I think I have had 4 fills, I'm to the limit, actually I think I need to ask my doc, Monty Swartz, at the next visit to reduce, bits hurt, just 1-2, even chewed very well, it seems like all I can take are Protein Shakes, and I get acid reflux. I lost the most during the initial 3-4 weeks liquid/ soft solids about 32 lbs, the tightness of the band has got me down to 45lbs overall, not where I wanted to be at this point, every clinic visit I have lost something, be it 2-4 lbs. Its so slow, and I could take the slow part if I felt I had a quality of life, I can't go to dinner and eat anything with friends, I choke, and its awkward, I mean literally choke on Soup, salad especially. bread has been gone since I started, but I thought I could enjoy normal healthy eating, salads, legumes; I told myself I don't need to like food anymore, its not important: eating, but this is over the top, I'm not overly concerned about keeping it off, I know myself and for me its behavior modification, I can keep it off, its loosing it. Judy replied to me last night, are there concerns with Mexico? Based on your experience with Dr. Aceves and a few others, I am very seriously looking into it. I am concerned about the possibility of leakage of the staples, what if that happens in Mexico or when I return? I will post my questions regarding cost in the other forum, thank you so much for all of your guidance, its so wonderful to have knowledgeable support!!!

thanks so much for your reply wasabubblebutt, I have kept the band thus far to try to get my moneys worth, despite its discomfort and all. I think I have had 4 fills, I'm to the limit, actually I think I need to ask my doc, Monty Swartz, at the next visit to reduce, bits hurt, just 1-2, even chewed very well, it seems like all I can take are Protein shakes, and I get acid reflux. I lost the most during the initial 3-4 weeks liquid/ soft solids about 32 lbs, the tightness of the band has got me down to 45lbs overall, not where I wanted to be at this point, every clinic visit I have lost something, be it 2-4 lbs. Its so slow, and I could take the slow part if I felt I had a quality of life, I can't go to dinner and eat anything with friends, I choke, and its awkward, I mean literally choke on Soup, salad especially. bread has been gone since I started, but I thought I could enjoy normal healthy eating, salads, legumes; I told myself I don't need to like food anymore, its not important: eating, but this is over the top, I'm not overly concerned about keeping it off, I know myself and for me its behavior modification, I can keep it off, its loosing it. Judy replied to me last night, are there concerns with Mexico? Based on your experience with Dr. Aceves and a few others, I am very seriously looking into it. I am concerned about the possibility of leakage of the staples, what if that happens in Mexico or when I return? I will post my questions regarding cost in the other forum, thank you so much for all of your guidance, its so wonderful to have knowledgeable support!!!

Wow, it all sounds so familiar. I'm really sorry you are going through this.

The reflux is a serious issue, you *really* need to get a bit of an unfill. The reflux can cause damage if you don't get it resolved. Being too tight leads to soft food syndrome and that can lead to weight gain.

Has you doctor put you on anything such as Prilosec or Nexium? Something to help with reflux?

I get it about getting stuck on everything. I remember a business dinner once when I was banded and I was stuck on broth. I was mortified.

What do you mean by concerns with Mexico? Are you referring to the gov't warnings out right now? The US, Mexican, and Canadian gov'ts are warning about specific cities in Mexico but Mexicali is not one of the cities they are specifically warning about.

A leak is always a risk of surgery and since you are a revision like me, your risks are higher. All the more reason to go to an experienced revision surgeon.

Hang in there and please get an unfill, you could cause even more problems than you have now if you stay too tight for much longer.

Edited by WASaBubbleButt

thank you so much again, I will get the unfill, its too much! yes, the business dinners are horrifying. Thank you so much, Ruthi & Wasabubblebutt for the info! My concerns for Mexico aren't the tourism issues, its more to do with the potential for leakage and their response should that happen when I'm there. How long are the stays in Mexico? I know what the recovery general times are, but I was wondering what your personal experience was? I have an office job, very low energy, how soon can I go back? How soon are leaks found generally after the procedure? I am fearful if there is a leak & I go home, my medical insurance won't cover the repair surgery, my fear is the more leak issue I think. Can anyone tell a little about their Mexico experience? Seems like Dr. Aceves has strong supporters here, was wondering what the experience was, is it a very sterile, clean environment? Hospital like, or procedures done in the office? Are temps cold or cool in the operating room? I would love the first hand perception, thank you all so much for your invaluable insight!!!!!!!

thank you so much again, I will get the unfill, its too much! yes, the business dinners are horrifying. Thank you so much, Ruthi & Wasabubblebutt for the info! My concerns for Mexico aren't the tourism issues, its more to do with the potential for leakage and their response should that happen when I'm there. How long are the stays in Mexico? I know what the recovery general times are, but I was wondering what your personal experience was? I have an office job, very low energy, how soon can I go back? How soon are leaks found generally after the procedure? I am fearful if there is a leak & I go home, my medical insurance won't cover the repair surgery, my fear is the more leak issue I think. Can anyone tell a little about their Mexico experience? Seems like Dr. Aceves has strong supporters here, was wondering what the experience was, is it a very sterile, clean environment? Hospital like, or procedures done in the office? Are temps cold or cool in the operating room? I would love the first hand perception, thank you all so much for your invaluable insight!!!!!!!

I had my surgery on 6/12 and my fiance just had his surgery yesterday (7/11) - both performed by Dr. Aceves. The hospital is the cleanest hopsital I have ever been in, yet it doesn't smell like a hospital at all. They are constantly cleaning and mopping floors - all day long. They empty your trashcans and mop the floors in your room at least 2x, if not more, daily. I can't speak for the OR, as I don't remember anything after being taken from my room to the OR; however, based on the rest of the hospital, I can only imagine that it is spotlessly clean.

You are in the hospital for 3 nights following your surgery and Dr. Aceves performs 3 leak tests - one in the OR, one the following day with a bluedyed apple juice and one the following day which involves a GI and you can see your stomach on the xrays. He provides you with a copy of those films.

If you were to have a leak, due to the fact that you are a revision, then you are right in the hospital where that can be taken care of immediately. If you have a leak after leaving Mexico - you are only a 3.5 hour drive so you could drive back and Dr. Aceves will treat you. I live in LV and originally we were driving here solely for me to have a GI to see what the reason was for my having difficulty with my eating/drinking (cause is spasms at the site where my hernia was repaired and this will dissipate over time). It's a 6 hour drive from LV and I so trust and believe in Dr. Aceves, I would drive the 6 hours for any issues I have; so you could do the same as your driving time is half the distance.

In addition, Dr. Aceves or Dr. Campos check in on you no less than 3x a day and his staff is awesome and there for you at any time.

I had my surgery on a Friday, was released on Monday - planned to go back to work on Thursday; however was having diarrhea so took Thursday off as well. I have a desk job, so I had no problems going back to work on Friday -- If not for the diarrhea, I could have realistically returned to work on Wednesday.

Hope this answers some of your questions, if you have others, please ask.

Edited by VegasAngel

VegasAngel answered most of your questions. He does have an office, I saw it when I was originally banded. It's less than a block from the hospital. I remember I was outside walking after my band surgery and Dr. Aceves happened to be walking to his office to get something and asked if I wanted to go for a quick walk with him. That's the only time I have ever been in his office. He does everything out of the hospital. He did all my band fills/unfills and check ups in the hospital. I don't really have a need to go back anymore since I'm sleeved.

Yours will be a revision and your recovery might be a bit longer than someone just getting a sleeve. I really had no problem going back to work but the one thing that was really annoying was where my port was. That felt like a bon fire was going on in there periodically. I seem to be the only one that had that issue, Susan, Daisy, and Elisabeth didn't seem to complain as much as I did. ;o)