Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've heard that some people get depression after having the surgery, and it hasn't helped that I lost my grandfather a week before I was banded. As I've been losing weight I can't find myself being positive about it.

I was told that they determine what size of band to put in when they cut you open, and they put a large band inside of me - I can't help but feel as though I completely disagree with this decision :/ My stomach feels so much heavier, my ribs are constantly uncomfortable with a "stuck" feeling under them and I've always been flexible, sitting with my legs cross or pulled up to me, and now I'm unable to sit that way. Whenever I move/sleep/roll over I can feel it shift inside of me. One side of my stomach even hangs noticeably lower than the other.

It's only been a week and now I feel like I already want it out. It's made me feel as though I don't know my own body anymore.

Anyone else go through this? How long did it take for this feeling to go away?

Sorry to hear of your loss. And that can't help the emotions of having an operation either. You're only a week out from surgery, your body is going through the healing process, and you don't feel like your old self. There's no wonder you're emotional. I was too. I wondered what in the world I'd done..etc. But with each passing day, I'm happy with the decision I made. The pain beneath your ribs may be gas, and it helps to walk to relieve the pressure. But, as always if you're unsure about anything with your recovery, always call your surgeon. But what you're feeling emotionally is to be expected due to your loss and recovery from surgery. Do you go to a local support group for Band patients? You may want to consider finding one, it helps to talk to someone that is going through what you are now. Hang in there, you've made a wonderful decision to get healthy! Best wishes to you! :)

I felt a lot of pent up emotions and still am!! I had surgery the 19th and ended up with stomach flu the 23rd! I was sooooo sick I had to see my surgeon and he had to take out the 2cc's of saline he put in during surgery so I could get as much liquid in as possible!! I went yesterday and he put it back in!! I was so afraid because I do not ever want to vomit like I did again!! My port has felt like it is protruding more than I thought normal and I was worried I did something wrong!! My surgeon and nurse told me to remember I am only 2wks post op and I still have swelling and need to heal most likely a month or more before I won't feel the band weight (like you stated) and the port feeling funny!! Give yourself at least another week and see if your weird sensations change! If not definitely call your surgeon!! Sorry about the loss of your Grandfather that isn't helping either!! We are all here for you!!!!

I was pretty emotional myself after surgery. I would cry and wonder why did I do this. I think a lot of mine was being scared of living a"thin" life. I have always been over weight so it was my normal and I'm not one to handle change well.. I also felt discomfort where my port and bands were feeling them when I say a certain way or laying on my side.. 2 months post op and I no longer feel it, and this weight can't come off fast enough. Things will get much better.

I hear you! I was banded one week ago. I had complications the day after surgery where I could not even swallow my own spit. I am so nervous about more complications, that I can't get excited over the future. To top it all off, my anti-depressants are too big for me to swallow and I have not taken them in a week. My nerves are frazzled! The good thing is, I have moved to full liquids and doing good. I think we have to take it one day at a time and firmly believe things WILL get better. Soooooo....you are not the only one LOL! Things are rough right now and I guess they call it bandster hell for a reason! Trust that things will get better and try to think positive thoughts! Sending well wishes your way :wub:

I doubt you can feel your band. It's deep inside your chest. I agree with the poster who said you probably are still feeling the gas. It's too soon to be concerned about flexibility. Recovering from major surgery like this can take up to 6 weeks. tmf

I can relate to that very same pain !!! I was feeling like something must be wrong...it's so uncomfortable sitting I had so much pressure under my ribs and on my left side...I'm 9 days post op...had my first appt today with my dr...he assured me it was gas pain...something my nurse who had lapband surgery told me to try is papaya extract...it's in the Vitamin section...she said its a miracle in getting rid if the gas..I wasn't able to find any today but will look again tomorrow !! Good luck and I hope you feel better soon

Im a little over a week post op and I went through the depressed stage too and i thought I was the only one! I thought why did I do this? I cant sleep and the pain isnt worth it! I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldnt eat what my family was eating and I only had a few choices of what I could eat...I was miserable but I got through it. I got switched to "mushies" and went back to work in the same day and I feel so much better and cant wait to truly start losing! Im so sorry for what your going through...I hope things get better for you!

Thank you every one.

I'm usually a very positive - silver lining - light at the end of the tunnel - sort of person so being depressed has a major effect on me.

I do feel better, but still very down. I'm hoping that once I've healed the emotional part will subside. I've tried to keep positive but it has been difficult for me as the sleeping is a huge issue, dairy gives me tonsil stones, and fake sure (basically in all sugar free things) triggers my cold sores - it's been ridiculous! For now all I can see is the negative impact it's had, once the positive outweighs the negative I'm sure I'll have a better attitude toward it.

After I got to goal I was depressed and sought therapy. He basically said, I eat to cope and now I can't do that anymore. So I had a choice, I could either find a new way to cope or I could cut the stress in my life. It seemed pretty simple when he put it that way. I don't think many of us realize how much we eat to feel better.

Im a little over a week post op and I went through the depressed stage too and i thought I was the only one! I thought why did I do this? I cant sleep and the pain isnt worth it! I was feeling sorry for myself because I couldnt eat what my family was eating and I only had a few choices of what I could eat...I was miserable but I got through it. I got switched to "mushies" and went back to work in the same day and I feel so much better and cant wait to truly start losing! Im so sorry for what your going through...I hope things get better for you!

If be careful about abruptly stopping antidepressants, that is extremely unsafe. It can contribute to increased depression. Be careful

When you feel like that, I do meditations, it helps me. I am very positive person, and believe me I had my challenging moments but when that happens i get on my bed get my ear buds and do guided meditations inyoutube, i usually do a relaxion one and the a healing on, the peace and calm comes back. I hope you feel better soon, sorry about your granpa!

One week and 2 days banded!