Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

HELP!!!Acid Reflux at night and GURGLING!!! HELP!!!

Newbies don't need fear. They need to be educated and not by fear. As for your 7 years on here...big deal it won't get you a free cup of coffee. Another thing if you are so down on the band and it's high rate of failure then why did you not only get it once but twice?

I normally don't feed the trolls but it seems you have this pattern of spreading gloom and doom about the band yet you've been banded twice and because you have a combined 8 years of band experience you seem to think it's OK to come off with this "Knowledge of everything Band" attitude.

Every experience is unique to the individual and just because you've heard of this or that or this happened to you doesn't mean it's going to happen to the next person.

Well based on my many years in healthcare and teaching nutrition to lapband patients it COULD be should never be brought up here. We are not doctors to say what it COULD be and every post you make to people is so negative that they are probably going to lose their bands. Take all your 100 years of banding out of your head because it means nothing. Your experience is only that YOUR experience. You have not right to tell newly banded people that this is what it could be. You should only be giving encouragement not telling people how you failed at the band and had to have it put in twice. We all are not like you. I would say 95% of us are not like you. If you don't have any good advice to give then don't give any. All you are doing is putting fear in these new banders and that is not right. I don't know what high horse you rode in on but you need to stop it. You come out of no where after how many years and now because you needed two bands everyone else will fail. Sorry but its not true.

Sorry, but The Lap Band isn't all sunshine and rainbows. People do have complications. Last time I checked, this was a forum, to share info (good and bad) and to support others, and tell of our journeys. Support isn't always positive. Sharing concern is support. As for you saying that NaNa should only give encouragement, well that's just ignorant. By having a blind eye to issues, you could cost a person their health or band. I personally would appreciate any and all advice from a Lap Band veteran. I choose to be informed. Knowledge is power. NOT ignorance and turning a blind eye to the possible truth. This forum isn't the gospel on banding, just a path to others experiences, if people choose to accept everything that is posted in here, that's just not smart, but weigh all info here and research the conditions to be prepared to discuss with your WL surgeon. I agree 100% with NaNa :D People need to learn to chillax in here. JS

Just cause a person has had two bands, it doesn't mean it's something they did wrong. I've heard of veterans who have had band replacements due to port leaks, or band leaks.It's silicone, it can fail. JS

Just cause a person has had two bands, it doesn't mean it's something they did wrong. I've heard of veterans who have had band replacements due to port leaks, or band leaks.It's silicone, it can fail. JS

Thank you Whispers...

You are correct, my lap band DID NOT HAVE TO COME OUT. I decided to get it replaced because of a hiatal hernia. I am very fortunate to be able to get a new band, many of my friends are no longer able to get rebanded due to esophageal dilation..pouch dilation's and esophageal dilation are totally different.

In my first year of being banded, my surgeon filled me too tightly, and I traveled and developed edema...which dilated my pouch, which was a "mild dilation and did not warrant repairing or removing my band, I was able to get good restriction and "live with my band and continued to lose weight for many years".

Also remember I had the older 4cc band that was more prone to pouch dilation's and issues, the reasons why surgeons no longer use 4cc band in the USA.

However, I also had an undiagnosed hiatal hernia which surgeons were not routinely repairing hiatal hernias back in 2005....so my hernia got inflamed...and I no longer could get into the green zone without reflux....

But I still could have kept my old band, my band replacement was NOT URGENT and my new surgeon intended to repair my hernia and NOT replace my old band, because I WANTED TO KEEP MY OLD 4CC BAND...but since the older bands don't unbuckle like the new AP bands do without destroying the entire lap band system, my new surgeon removed my old band, repaired my hernia and installed a new 10cc band all in one surgery..

And so far NO ISSUES....I have excellent restriction with my new 10cc band and no reflux....I am a happy camper...

I come here to bring value, of what I've experienced and seen others go through over the years....I have no bones to pick...or try to scare people..

I hope others understand this...seems to be people who are trying to suppress information especially about reflux...may be having this issue themselves and may not want to hear that it can be dangerous to lap banders...but even if they do have reflux, if caught early it can be managed....

Also, the good news is with the new AP bands, surgeons can unbuckle the band and fix a dilated pouch or hiatal hernia without removing the band.....so reflux can be managed and treated surgically for people go be able to gain restriction again, without issues....

I never said she did anything wrong. I just stated for someone who seems to have a low opinion of the band I find it surprising she had it done not once but twice.

Newbies don't need fear. They need to be educated and not by fear. As for your 7 years on here...big deal it won't get you a free cup of coffee. Another thing if you are so down on the band and it's high rate of failure then why did you not only get it once but twice?

I normally don't feed the trolls but it seems you have this pattern of spreading gloom and doom about the band yet you've been banded twice and because you have a combined 8 years of band experience you seem to think it's OK to come off with this "Knowledge of everything Band" attitude.

Every experience is unique to the individual and just because you've heard of this or that or this happened to you doesn't mean it's going to happen to the next person.

I am NOT spreading gloom...but if someone here posts and SAY...Help I have Acid reflux and coughing at night....and I've KNOWN MANY FRIENDS that eventually had to have emergency surgery to remove their bands...I should just keep quiet..and say nothing and say -- everything is going to be OK?

To me, that's not being supportive, true support means advising newbies -- on how to avoid complications with their bands...and letting them know dangerous symptoms that NEVER should be ignored.

I have a brand new AP 10cc band, at my sweet spot.(I am very lucky to have a successful band replacement)..losing weight again...after gaining back some weight over the years....I am back on the board helping those who WANT TO BE HELPED....everyone can ignore my posts and ignore reflux too....

I put the message and warning out there....people don't have to listen...this is a free country and people can take the advice that I give or ignore it....

Edited to add: I got a new band because I was successful with my old band...and Loved my old band, I never had any horrible complications...even with a mild pouch dilation, it was managed and treatable....

Also with my old band my hiatal hernia was preventing me from getting into the green zone without having reflux...this is the main reason I decided to get a new band again....

However....I've seen others have horrible complications from Acid reflux...even though I've not..

By the way...I love my new band...you can still love your band and warn newbies of issues with them.... ;)

I never said she did anything wrong. I just stated for someone who seems to have a low opinion of the band I find it surprising she had it done not once but twice.

I don't have a low opinion of the lap band at ALL-- I was/still is the biggest lap band supporter, if I hated the band do you honestly think I would have gotten a replacement?

I could have easily revised to the Sleeve or Bypass --LIKE MANY LONG TERM BANDERS DO who've had issues with their bands.

However, I've learned that there IS NO PERFECT weight loss surgery, I've seen others revise to the Sleeve and had little to NO weight loss, and have worse reflux that the band causes....

Also, I am not happy about revising to the Bypass...or rearranging my insides...so the lap band was a viable option for me again...

All weight loss surgeries COMES WITH SIDE EFFECTS AND ISSUES...NON ARE PERFECT...even the lap band...

There are ways to live with the lap band to avoid complications and reflux....telling newbies how to avoid these issues...is actually helping them TO AVOID GLOOM AND DOOM....

I hope to avoid gloom and doom with my new band too.

Jim,

I've watched you post, and I really like you and noticed that your wife has a new band too, so I know you are probably a bit nervous and don't want to hear anything negative about the band.

However, when people REPORT negative things we have to be upfront and advise people about the dangers.

I know we all wish there were no side effects and there was always rainbows and sunshine with the band, but unfortunately it's not.

I hope you are not going into this with your eyes closed because you don't have any issue -- now...and if you were to develop any issues down the road, hopefully you will know what to do.

You've never heard me create a topic about band "issues" lately because I've not had any and I hope to keep it that way from past knowledge and lessons learned throughout the years...but I am not naive either to know that unforeseen issues can't crop up...

But I would like to keep MY band journey as positive as possible and cheer on the newbies with their weight loss and scale victories..etc...that's what support is all about.

I wish you and your wife a continued uneventful journey!

to the original poster on this thread

wishing you all the best in the future

This site should never be used as a diagnostic tool. IF you have a serious question, the default answer to it should always be speak to your surgeon or bariatric doctor's office.

There are some here with medical background, and some who are long term veterans having been banded longer then others. Some with non compliance issues and some with issues just because they are that one anomaly that factor into the percentage. There are some with out an issue from 3 months to 20 years.

All of us are newbies to this we were not born with this band inside us, and we are all as fallible as the band itself can be. Sh*t happens, and we ask questions to see if we can learn from other peoples experience and knowledge and so that we can share ours in return with the hope to help even more people.

Take it in that vein, and you won't go wrong. Nothing here is to be taken literally or as gospel, other then the words "Call your doctor." They and only they can give you the answers you truly seek. They know you literally inside and out.

Please share your stories, give me your advice, tell me what you think, and know that when in doubt I will call my doctor.

Having this forum helps me to better form my questions to my doctor, and if info scares me, I'll ask my doctor if this is something to fear, or practice or something to take in stride and left at the curb.

I am not you, you are not me, but together as banded people we are all learning from each other to be better and move forward from where we were to where we want to be.

Hope your doing better today KT and I'd like to know what your doc said to do. :rolleyes:

How does NaNa have a low opinion of the band? She stated medical conditions and facts that could accompany the band. This isn't some fairy tale, complications do arise, although rare. But to say that a fellow band veteran has a low opinion of the band is just so very closed minded. In this case, ignorance is definitely bliss... :blink:

Please ladies let's rest the issue! We're here to support each other , so please let's all be friends. Peace!

Hi everyone....I saw my surgeon today and am fine. I suffered from acid reflux before my surgery and took Prevacid before and right after my surgery. I was eating too late and believes that caused the problem. I have been taking the Prevacid since Monday evening and will make sure I do not eat late. Also the night that was really bad I had some red wine...which is not great. Thanks for all of your support!

Hi everyone....I saw my surgeon today and am fine. I suffered from acid reflux before my surgery and took Prevacid before and right after my surgery. I was eating too late and believes that caused the problem. I have been taking the Prevacid since Monday evening and will make sure I do not eat late. Also the night that was really bad I had some red wine...which is not great. Thanks for all of your support!

I'm really glad everything is good! Hopefully the doctor's suggestions will take care of the reflux so you can rest well again.

Hang in there :)