Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Treadmill or elliptical?

M really torn between which one of these to purchase. I like both but wonder which one would give me the best bang for the buck.

Depends how fit you are ? IMO I believe if you're just starting out get elliptical as it's less impact and you can decide how hard you want to work. A treadmill IMO is for running and that's it. Treadmill is a sure way to shed those pounds but it's the harder physically of the 2

I bought an elliptical and it just sat in the garage, lol. I'm a gym person for sure.

They have an infomerical on TV for a tredclimber which is a combo of both elliptical and tredmill. Maybe look into that?

I love my treadmill!!

Honestly, if I purchased an elliptical, I am sure I would not use it daily, treadmill, you can walk at your own pace and eventually increase as you lose weight and start running...so I would go with a treadmill any day...it helped shed a lot of weight for me.

Treadmill of sure , you can actually find whole work out and different way to use a treadmill, elliptical only does one thing

i'd say try a gym for a month. some people are gym people. i mean paying dues and having somewhere to go motivates them. i'm like that, i was given an elliptical, sold it. bought an used weight machine, don't use it a fraction of the amount i go to the gym. something about having the stuff right in the house makes using it less urgent.

in any case a month at the gym would help you decide which you like better. good luck.

M really torn between which one of these to purchase. I like both but wonder which one would give me the best bang for the buck.

Here's an interesting article that talks about various different types of aerobic exercise.....of course from the authors point of view. A good read. I believe the one you will continue to do is the best.....As always, YMMV. "cycling leads to running"...I'm a believer!

http://drsimpson.net..._comparison.htm

I don't like to run (flat feet/big boobs) but owned a treadmill (and used it regularly) for many years. I love the incline ellipitcals and ascent trainers more though (and they are more $$$) at the gym. I burn far more calories on those machines vs. my treadmill b/c I am not a runner.

I would not buy a piece of "home" equipment though, I would buy a piece of gym quality equipment if I was going to use it every day. For me, I love the gym but if I had the money and space I would get an ascent trainer and n Arc trainer for home.

In the beginning, I could not run because of all the excess weight and fat...too much of a high impact that would have destroyed my knees and hips......so I became an Elliptical maniac, everyday at he gym....wore a heart monitor and was not pleased unless I was in my "Zone 4" workout for at last 45 minutes..........I then purchased the same exact commercial brand elliptical used in the gym for my home...$3000 ! ....and that was not new, but factory refurbished...but it is a "industrial model"..not a typical home model.....

Fast forward...lost the needed weight to be able to start running...I now run 5 miles every day, and I have not used my elliptical I have at home for over a year now.....but I know there will come a day I will not be able to run anymore, or care to go to the gym everyday...so the elliptical will be very much used come then.....(I'm close to 62 years old)

Running = High Impact,........Elliptical = Low Impact

I love my treadmill -- I just walk on it now and even quite slowly sometimes to work out the joints first thing AM (i have arthritis). Last year it got stuck on the highest incline. Could not fix it and finally resolved with blocks of wood underneath -- it's ridiculous but it works and blocks can be removed to achieve incline again. Also have a recumbent bicycle which is good for warming up but for me not enough for cardio. Whenever I have tried an elliptical at a gym or wherever, I can't believe how hard it is. I think we get used to what we are doing regularly and something different really changes it up. Have fun!

The elliptical has always been more difficult for me for whatever reason. I read earlier in the thread someone suggested a month at a gym. That may be great advice to see which you prefer. You may even find out that a rowing machine is something to consider. I do know you can burn more calories in a shorter period of time with the elliptical but if you don't like it (like me) you won't use it. Good luck with whatever you choose!

I like the treadmill because I can control more. On the elliptical I don't feel as though I can. I can walk, jog or run. Fast or slow it seems like I have control and I like that.

the thing they don't mention in the commercials is that you have to use either of those pieces of equipment for more than just a clothes rack. ;)

i prefer to go to the gym - even if the ppl on the machines next to me don't know it - i get in my own little competition with them - who can be on the highest incline, etc. it's motivating for me.

the thing they don't mention in the commercials is that you have to use either of those pieces of equipment for more than just a clothes rack. ;)

i prefer to go to the gym - even if the ppl on the machines next to me don't know it - i get in my own little competition with them - who can be on the highest incline, etc. it's motivating for me.

I'm a old man a few months shy of 62 years old.....I understand the motivation - competition thing very well...except in my case it is every time a young fit/athletic young woman in tight spandex starts running on the treadmill next to me, I step up up the pace and refuse to stop until she does.... :)

I don't care if they realize it or not! And I have gotten some very good runs in, not paying attention to the distance or time... ;)