Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

June 2006 Band Crew

Day 3 and everything is going OK. Had my first bowel movement so really feel better now!! (I know TMI, but it was a major accomplishment).

I gotta say that I'm hungry. Not sure I could eat if I tried, of which I won't, but I didn't expect this. I am to stay on Clear Liquids and Protein Shakes for 5 more days. I think I would be happy if I could just have some thicker Soup.< /p>

Hope everyone else is doing well.

Hi All, I had my first post op appointment yesterday and I'm down 11 lbs. I feel good. I still have a "ball" like feeling in my stomach. So Monday he is going to do a swallow test. He didn't do that in the hospital before I checked out. I think it is swelling. Did anyone have that feeling too? Seems like warm tea is what is helping the most.

:clap2: I was banded Jun 12th this week by Dr. Joya in Puerto Vallarta Mexico...In the Cornerstone Hospital which was very clean...and well staffed........everything went fantastic!!!! I feel great!!! Thank you all for the well wish e-mails!!!! :kiss2: Linda

Aimee,

That was an incredibly wonderful response to Kim. Your compassion for others truly shines through.

I was feeling a little low today because I had a Dr's appt for some excessive menstrual bleeding. I was so worried that something was wrong with me that would interfere with my banding next week. While I was waiting for the Dr. I prayed that I would be ok. I have to have a couple of more tests but thankfully (I never thought I'd be saying this....) I may just be starting early menopause!

Anyway, I feel such a relief. I can't wait to join the rest of you in bandland. I feel so very blessed that I stumbled upon this site while doing the research! It's nice to know that there are other people out there with not only struggles but some major sucesses. None of us has to go through this alone.

After two hours at the Dr's office, I'm even more confidant that I'm making the right choice!

Thank you :) I know the pain of being hard on yourself, I've done it for many years. I have to keep looking at my journey from really far up, looking at it as a whole, because if I micromanage it, I'll drive myself crazy. Conversely, the only way to do that is to concentrate on one day at a time. I've made it a practice in the morning to look at my previous day and really think positively about what I achieved. That, and I threw my scale away! ;)

The only advice I can give anyone approaching this really wonderful, courageous decision they've made for themselves is to think of it as a new start. Which means different things for different people. For me, it means I'm going to be gentle with myself from here on out.

Best wishes to you on your surgery :Banane10: I'll say prayers that everything turns out right!

Thanks Janelle. I really needed that too.

tiime4change: I told my son (7) that mommy needed surgery on her tummy because she was sick. And now, since I can not eat, he doesn't really ask about it. My surgeon had said he would fix my hernia, but then said it was too low to fix, so I am going back in for surgery next week. (yeah!) Going to be a druggie for sure with 3 surgeries back to back... bring on the codeine!

P.S. to everyone in liquid phase. If I don't drink my Isopure shake in the morning I am hungry all day. That shake has 50 grams of Protein so it gets me off to a great start!

Hi Everyone --

It's been 1 week to the day that I had my surgery. Wow, I still can't believe it. Returned to work on Day 6. First 2 days were a little rough for me.

Thus far, I've had excellent restriction, down 11 pounds. My only complaint has been gas. The gas has settled into my left shoulder and it has been extreemly painful. I don't want to scare anyone getting ready to have surgery. For this particular gas, the gasX didn't work :phanvan for me. But laying down flat on a heating pad relieves it and moving my arm/shoulder as much as possible.

My energy feels like it's back to it's pre-op status. I started my chewable mutlivitamin 3 days ago. I'm looking forward to my walk tomorrow morning. I usually would walk a couple of miles a few days a week pre-op. We will see what I can accomplish tomorrow. I feel sorry for the person that walk behind me ;) (kidding --:cry i think).

I hope everyone else is having a quick recovery.

Happy to be on the banded side

Melissa Lea:hippie:

weight.png

Spivak

06/09/2006

:help: Can anyone tell me more about Isopure. I am always looking for a good Protein Drink. Does it taste good? I see it comes in several flavors, which ones are good. Also, where is the best place to get it price wise? I really don't have a post-op diet yet so I don't know what they are going to reccommend, but I would like to be able to ask them what they think about Isopure.

Thanks for all your help out there!!!!!!;)

I like the vanilla, and the orange pineapple one. I get mine from vitaminshoppe.com go to www.currentcodes.com to see if there is a discount code first. Then I order from them. I got the 7 lb bucket for $60.00 with shipping. It is a huge bucket!!!

I have found that Isopure is a little more expensive that other drinks out there, but when you compare the protein/carb ratio it is the best. I get 50 g Protein and 0 carbs. Works for me!

Thanks Poodles! I think I'll order some before I leave then it will be here when I get back! Maybe I'll try a smaller size just to make sure I like it. I also like strawberry, have you tried Isopures Strawberry?

Day 3 and everything is going OK. Had my first bowel movement so really feel better now!! (I know TMI, but it was a major accomplishment).

I gotta say that I'm hungry. Not sure I could eat if I tried, of which I won't, but I didn't expect this. I am to stay on clear liquids and Protein Shakes for 5 more days. I think I would be happy if I could just have some thicker Soup.< /p>

Hope everyone else is doing well.

It's not too much information at all... I'm day 2 post surgery, and I'm hoping for a major accomplishment of my own, maybe day 3 will be lucky for me too... LOL

I'm not sure how long they'll keep me on Protein shakes and clear liquid, they say two weeks on the post op guidelines, but also that they may start you on full liquids earlier depending on how you do. The only other exception they have to clear liquids and the Protein Shake is fat free sugar free yogurt drinks, I love the sillouhette (sp?) by Danon peach and passionfruit. I add benefibre (doesn't add thickness or flavour) and I add ISOWhey BreeZer Protein Powder, which is 0 fat, 1 gram carb, 20 gram protein powder and it's pineapple flavoured and -super- yummy, highly recommend it. They protein drink Dr. Cobourn has us use pre and post surgery is Optifast, and I -hate- it, so I'm just doing one a day, and getting the rest of my protein and carb needs from the yogurt with the ISOwhey - which doesn't thicken at all, it even tastes great just mixed with Water. I find having the constant protein is key for me to not feel hunger.

Making sure I take chewable vitamins with Iron and chewable Calcium along with my protein so that my body has all the tools it needs to heal well. I go in for my first post op visit on monday, so will wait to weigh myself till I'm there in the office. Right now I'm focused on following the rules to avoid complications and on healing. When the steristrips come off I'm going to use scar reducing product as my scars heal to try to take good care of them too, there are some good products in the pharmacy now for healing scars.

Speaking of TMI, my gas is so bad, I swear I pass gas about every half hour, and I never thought in my life I would look forward to passing gas. I want it out! Thankfully it's odor free. ;)

I have not tried the strawberry... I am allergic to artifical strawberry flavor! Being upgraded to mushies is such a blessing. All those wonderful flavored soups... Just put in a blender and YUM! I think I may try the Clam Chowder tonight... wonder how those little clams will blend???

Each can make about two meals! Yummy for the tummy!

Wow! Sounds like everything is going great with all of you. I haven't checked the postings in awhile so i have alot of reading to do.

I'm glad everyone is feeling better. You had me a little nervous about the gas pains and all the other discomforts. I feel a little better about going thru it all myself now that i see it doesn't last that long.

I have a question. For those of you that have already returned back to work. . . . Are there any restrictions that you have still from the surgery? or are you able to do all the job functions?

I'm nervous about returning back to work. I don't want to be gone for too long but i don't want to go back before i feel ready.

I should be called about my surgery date Monday. So everyone please keep your fingers crossed for me.

I'd absolutely love to be part of the June 06 Band Crew. I've been reading along with you and those July banders feel like strangers. j/k

So as soon as i find out my date i'll let everyone know.

zexxah- It really depends on the job you do. I know we have lifting restrictions. I tried to do some grocery shopping and hurt my port side (sound like a boat ;) ), so we are restricted for a reason. Check with your doctor.

BTW: Blended clam chowder tastes like fishy mashed potatoes... pretty good!

I was really surprised when I got the preop diet. My doctor doesn't want us to use any powder drinks. Period. Says they clog the band. I can only have liquid drinks. I have been having 2 a day, but will try to get 3 in tomorrow. I go back to work on Monday, office job, and need my energy.

DH went to my favorite chinese restaurant and got me some won ton Soup. He took out the won tons and the chicken flakes. Boy was that broth good. I can't wait to get on thicker Soups come Tuesday. I don't understand why we can't have thicker soups when the Protein Drinks are so thick. My doctor has me on liquids 2 full weeks and week 3 on mushies. On the 4th week food, but must give up the Protein drinks except for Breakfast.

I am still amazed at how easy this was. I like my naps, but my energy is pretty good. I was worried with fibrolmalgia, but my muscles haven't hurt much.

Hope everyone else continues to do well. Good luck to those having it done next week. You will be so glad when you are on this side of the band. ;)

Thankyou to everyone for posting your experiences. I've had my surgery date for over a month now and it has only just now occurred to me that I'm a June bandster. Yikes. My friend Jane and I will be getting it done in Mexico on June 29.

Best wishes for all this coming week's patients.