Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Who went home the same day?

Just curious.

They told us to expect to go home the same day as the surgery. That makes me both scared and happy. I kinda want to be at the hospital in case -in case of what? I dunno-reaction to the anesthesia? pain? or ? or ?

Now I don't want to stay overnight. But it still makes me nervous anyway.

So? Who went home the same day and who stayed overnight.

If you stayed overnight was it due complications? or just the way your doc does it?

Thanks in advance

I went home the same day. It took me a little longer in the recovery room than most (like another hour), but the nurses watched me like hawks. I finally said "What do I have to do to get out of here?" Those were the magic words. They helped me get dressed and loaded into the van. I was so happy to be in my own recliner and drugged :biggrin1: :biggrin1: :biggrin1:

Remember to take the drugs. No need to suffer unnecessarily.

I had my surgery on a Monday...I did all my pre op work-ups the days prior to that. I arrived at the hospital early Monday morning...before 7:00AM, I went to surgery about 8:30 AM Monday. I spent about an hour in recovery, then to my room. I stayed in the hospital, the rest of Monday, all of Tuesday, and until about 9:00 AM Wednesday, when they took me back to the airport to fly home. Possibly the longer stay since I was so far from home? I think I could have gone home that day, I didn't feel bad, but was sooo tired. I slept a lot the first 2 days. By the 3rd day flying home was not too bad!

Kat

I just had my surgery May 8th. Arrived 9:30, home by 3:00Pm. Mild discomfort and controlled by pain meds. Walked around that day but mostly slept. Next day got up and moved around. Off pain meds Wednesday and drove. Felt good! Back to work by Monday and feeling very good! It's really not that bad. Good luck!

<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">My surgery was scheduled for 7 AM; I was in the car (for a 90 minute drive) by 10:30 AM. A egular surgery factory! I was barely conscious for the ride how because of the after effects of anesthesia.</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

I went home the same day. Surgery started late into 11, I went home around 2. :)

I was in overnight. In fact, I was kinda surprised because they didn't even have me up to walk until the next day - but my surgery was kinda late in the day.

Stayed in hospital 48 hours, went home on the 3rd day, back to work on the 5th day (easy, calm desk work).

niki

That's what Im talking about - I LOVE the fact that here in the US you get to go home the day of surgery if not soon after.

I am not a good patient and cannot stand being in the hospital hehehe I had no problems with the 3 other surgeries and I went home the same day except for 1 one of them.

[waiting patiently for June to get here for my appt]

I had my surgery at 730am I had to be there by 530 and was walking through my front door at 1130. (I live 1/2 hr away)

I had insane swelling and was in the hospital for 3days/2nights until I could get some fluids down and get off the I.V. I honestly didnt feel that bad though, and if it werent for the swelling I would have been a simple overnight and released the next morning.

I have not been banded yet, but do know that the banding patients that I take care of in my hospital have their surgery and are in overnight. The next day are scheduled early for an upper gi to make sure all goes well. Then they are out the door home. We have them all up and walking within 3 hours of arriving to the unit. This is part of our set orders for all banding patients.