Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I think I need an "un" fill

It's been two weeks since my aggressive fourth fill. I'm uncomfortable but I thought it might be just readjustment. But, now I feel discomfort with liquids sometimes. I'm scared to eat because I'm not sure how I will handle it. I've regurgitated a few times and I belch a lot. However, no heartburn, nausea or vomiting. I know I've lost weight but don't think it's worth it.

Is it bad to have some saline removed because I can't quite handle it yet? It seems like a dumb question but I was so ready for restriction ... I guess be careful what you wish for?

Thank you both. I spoke to my patient advocate last week but I am definitely going in on Monday to have some removed.

It's been two weeks since my aggressive fourth fill. I'm uncomfortable but I thought it might be just readjustment. But, now I feel discomfort with liquids sometimes. I'm scared to eat because I'm not sure how I will handle it. I've regurgitated a few times and I belch a lot. However, no heartburn, nausea or vomiting. I know I've lost weight but don't think it's worth it.

Is it bad to have some saline removed because I can't quite handle it yet? It seems like a dumb question but I was so ready for restriction ... I guess be careful what you wish for?

Well...this is what happens when you go past the green zone with aggressive fills. I know we sometimes get inpatient and want the band to help us quickly, but going directly into the red zone can sometimes come with a life time of band issues, if saline is not removed promptly.

Sometimes, if you go back immediately after you've realized you are too tight to remove about .2 to .4ccs it can put you in the green zone without damage to your band, but you must act immediately, band issues can happen pretty quick.

If you decide not to get saline removed NOW, eventually it will come out -- by force because eventually that tight pressure will become unbearable and uncomfortable, including all the vomiting that will happen, and reflux don't start immediately for most with a too tight band, the reflux usually starts to happen when band damage occur, and all the weight you've lost (the wrong way) will come back very quickly.

Usually before getting a fill you have to be honest with your surgeon and really gauge how much you can eat BEFORE your fill, for example, if you can possibly eat way over 8 oz per meal or a entire sandwich, and still get hungry afterwards, then it;s ok to go a little aggressive, with caution.

But if you are almost close to the green zone, and already have a little restriction, for example in the mornings, but can still eat over 4oz per meal and get hungry in less than 1 hour, you probably don't need an aggressive fill, only a small amount added.

The closer you get to the green zone, the less saline you need in your band.

Remember it's NEVER how much saline is in your band, it's how you feel, and right now you are dangerously too tight, and at risk for complications, and yes, the scales will probably move rapidly (this is the trap) that many lap banders fall in and sadly eventually lose their bands, saline can get addictive so be careful.

Good to hear you are doing the smart thing by going back to see your surgeon.

You can get a .1 or .2 cc unfill and makes a big difference! Bets wishes!

You can get a .1 or .2 cc unfill and makes a big difference! Bets wishes!

Thank you.

Everyone can provide their own opinion, based on their experience, but I don't see you mention any symptoms that indicate you are "too tight".

You don't mention anything about food or liquids not going down....just that you are scared to eat...and discomfort with liquids sometimes.

Is it maybe a Protein shake/smoothie? I get discomfort sometimes if I try and drink a thick shake/smoothie...especially early in the day. Hear it all the time on here from successful people.

"No heartburn, nausea, or vomiting." Those would/could indicate a problem...yet you don't have any of those symptoms.

PB'ing occasionally, especially while learning a new restriction level....changed how I ate. Thank goodness it did! I needed it too...

Belching....happens quite often for me. I don't think thats a sign you're too tight?

A little discomfort when I ate too fast, OR even drank too fast, was/is a reminder to me to slow down! If I wouldn't have changed my eating habits.....I WOULDN'T HAVE CHANGED.

But no matter what, certainly not dumb to ask those questions.... And If youre not quite ready for that restriction level...what could possibly be wrong with getting a bit removed? After all, ITS ADJUSTABLE for a reason.

I wish you much success in your journey. :)

Everyone can provide their own opinion, based on their experience, but I don't see you mention any symptoms that indicate you are "too tight".

You don't mention anything about food or liquids not going down....just that you are scared to eat...and discomfort with liquids sometimes.

Is it maybe a Protein shake/smoothie? I get discomfort sometimes if I try and drink a thick shake/smoothie...especially early in the day. Hear it all the time on here from successful people.

"No heartburn, nausea, or vomiting." Those would/could indicate a problem...yet you don't have any of those symptoms.

PB'ing occasionally, especially while learning a new restriction level....changed how I ate. Thank goodness it did! I needed it too...

Belching....happens quite often for me. I don't think thats a sign you're too tight?

A little discomfort when I ate too fast, OR even drank too fast, was/is a reminder to me to slow down! If I wouldn't have changed my eating habits.....I WOULDN'T HAVE CHANGED.

But no matter what, certainly not dumb to ask those questions.... And If youre not quite ready for that restriction level...what could possibly be wrong with getting a bit removed? After all, ITS ADJUSTABLE for a reason.

I wish you much success in your journey. :)

Discomfort and scared to eat seems like she is too tight to me, sometimes when you are EXTREMELY TOO TIGHT ...you are scared to eat anything, hence ...you don't vomit because you are too tight to think about solids...been there and done that one....

Also she should not be having discomfort with liquids...but again, some people maintain their band way over the recommended level.

Also she is only 2 weeks out from that fill, heartburn don't always show up immediately and vomiting is not the only sign someone is too tight.

Everyone can provide their own opinion' date=' based on their experience, but I don't see you mention any symptoms that indicate you are "too tight".

I wish you much success in your journey. :)[/quote']

Catfish, thank you. You seem to know exactly how I'm feeling. I don't think I'm too tight; my surgeon agreed to the aggressive full because I went 4 months with 3 fills that did nothing for me.

I absolutely think I am adjusting to the new feeling. I think I want to take out a tiny amount because I had trouble with Soup and Water today but, yes, it has been Protein shakes that have given me the most trouble!

I appreciate everyone's input and have a couple more days to decide what I want to do.

Everyone can provide their own opinion' date=' based on their experience, but I don't see you mention any symptoms that indicate you are "too tight".

I wish you much success in your journey. :)[/quote']

Catfish, thank you. You seem to know just how I'm feeling.

I think I am absolutely adjusting to the new "restriction." I went 5 months with 4 fills that did nothing for me. Today Soup and Water bothered me but, yes, it's usually Protein shakes.

I truly appreciate everyone's input and opinions. I have a couple days to decide how I want to proceed.

Some people have excessive swelling with fills also and that does not mean you are too tight. It may take a week or two or three for the swelling to go down to see if you really are too tight. I have gone up to three weeks after a fill and had severe swelling and was not too tight. If you are scared to eat then how will you manage to know when you are in the green zone. You can't live the band life of what ifs. The only way to find out is to eat. No one likes getting stuck or vomiting but you can not possible get to goal by being scared to eat. Take your time and eat slowly. Putting the fork down in between bites. Not everyone is too tight because they are scared to eat. I also do not see any symptoms that would point to her being too tight. Maybe just swollen. Its basically your decision what to do and not ours but I would wait and try to eat before you decide you are too tight.

saline can get addictive so be careful.

Couldn't agree more!

**Update: I went back to surgeon today, three weeks after my aggressive fill. I had lost nearly 10 pounds in 3 weeks! However, I had him remove 0.1 cc because I was still feeling some discomfort. I am really happy, and think I'm extremely close to the green zone!

Sounds good!