Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Banded yesterday, freaking out today! :( Lots of discomfort

You just had a MAJOR surgery. Your organs are swollen and you have a fair amount of gas in your body at the moment.

Your lungs and your diaphragm are going to need some time to get back to their normal output, and the diaphragm is probably feeling the pressure of the gas and swollen organs right now causing the uncomfortable pain you have, BUT you want to keep taking those deep breaths to clear any fluids out of your lungs.

Pretty T is right you should be drinking only clear fluids the first day, and possibly the second with slow tiny medicine cup sips. Warm fluids help, as well as ice pops (sugar free of course)

Moving on to Protein shakes, and then yogurt and light broth like Soups. Every Dr. and office is different but no matter what you should always find out as much information from as many sources as you can.

This is not a simple surgery, like an endoscope this was major surgery and it will take days and weeks for your body acclimate. You should feel a bit better every day.

Walk around, and slow down the eating for now. Give your body time to rest and heal. Do some research and call your doctor so that you have more peace of mind.

Every doctor does not give the same diet and some are allowed to have full liquids after surgery and not just Clear Liquids. Follow what your nurse and doctor told you. It is their decision not ours what you should be eating. If they told you that you could eat yogurt then eat it. Not one doctor gives the same post op diet. So no one can tell you what to eat because that is what they had to eat.

I was banded on Wednesday and I am having the same feeling. I also wouldn't worry too much about eating yogurt. My doc out me on clear to full liquid diet which includes a high Protein pudding. I'm guess the pressure is the band and it just takes time to adjust

Keep up the good work

Hello all!

I am new to these forums. I have just found it and I can tell I should be visiting quite often.

However I am panicing at the moment. I got banded yesterday morning. I'm now back home' date=' in pain and experiencing a feeling that is freaking me out - basically every time i try to take a deeper breath I get the sensation of something squeezing inside my chest /below sternum. I figured it is probably the band but why would it give me such unpleasant feelings when it's not filled yet? I havn't eaten anything but tiny pot of natural yoghurt and drinking tea and Water. The feeling just comes suddently, 'suffocates' me for about 15 seconds and goes away. Really feeling alot of discomfort at the moment.

I am also second guessing myself - should i have done it? I was milion per cent sure about it before, but now i suppose all the pain is messing with my mind - normally id just hit the fridge heh...

I would be very grateful for any information regarding the band senastions similar to mine and what can I do to ease them out?

All the best,

Matilda[/quote']

Its the gas and irritation from the surgery. It will go away

Does sound like gas or a sore muscle. Remember for Laproscopic surgery they put in a lot of air in stomach to make it blow up like a balloon so they have space to work. Some of it is still floating around for a few days until it gets absorbed by the body. That is why walking helps.

I was banded yesterday too! And today I feel like I was in a fight and only got punched in the stomach! But I guess I expected to feel like this. I'm already walking and it really only hurts getting in and out of bed or the toilet. Like others have said, I'm on strict liquids for the next 7 days. And my dr said 1 oz every 5 minutes. That is soooo hard! My bedside has coconut Water, premier Protein, almond milk and Metamucil mixed in Water. I'm supposed to get at least 60 grams of Protein, so I gotta down two of these Premier Protein shakes! As for hunger, not hungry in the least bit! I actually got over food during pre-op, which I found to be easy actually.

Good luck to u! Happy recovery...

Hi there! I was banded yesterday as well. Pain is getting better. I think the gas pain in the shoulder hurts more than the abdomen. The pain is terrible when I do my breathing exercises, like someone is stabbing me in the shoulder. I am walking 30 minutes a day and moving around every hour.I have never been less hungry! I had to make myself drink 2 Protein Shakes. I am loving hot tea!

Yeah feeling tiny bit better today, the 'strangling' feeling is still there but its not as intense as yesterday. I can't stand laying in bed anymore so i do move about quite a bit (around the house for now). It must be air and irritation like you say , burping helps ugh (although it doesnt happen too often yet). gas refuses to leave with any other body part like in some cases. Slowly but surely getting better.

For the first time in my life i can differentiate between physical hunger and 'head' hunger. though it is alot lower that before the bad, i can clearly see now its been my head playing tricks on me all that time. If it's possible to be angry with your own bran - i'm there!

Hi matilda, congratulations firstly on your surgery... Secondly I had dreadful wind post op and loads of swelling. Remember everybody will respond differently to the surgery, so if you stay concerned give them a call.. I was given Tomato cup a Soup, yogurt and puree fruit the day after my op by the hospital. Follow their rules. Guidelines and opinions of the medical professionals change constantly.. Hope you feel better soon... Keep moving it seems to help. I took deflatine to ease my wind. It was brilliant..

Sent from my GT-S5830 using LapBandTalk

Your main problem is that you shouldn't be eating anything right now, Clear Liquids only at this point. Secondly, you just had extensive surgery - you aren't going to feel normal for the next few days, so please expect discomfort...it will be worse tomorrow, just so you know. Your body is adapting to a device being placed underneath a major organ and around another, it is going to respond accordingly. I'm really surprised you have an appetite at all, I couldn't stand the sight of food - much less want anything to eat for the first few days. I forced clear liquids, because I knew I needed something to keep me hydrated and get a few calories in.

You should really follow your doctors orders and there isn't a single surgeon that would allow you to have yogurt the day after your surgery. Jello - yes, because it's a clear liquid. But if you don't watch what you're doing, you are going to find yourself in trouble in a short amount of time. I'm not being negative, but your post alarms me.

agree with this pretty

for best results, always follow your doctor's post op instructions...any questions/concerns always call the doctor especially if pain is involved...need to go day by day

Hi, I haven't even had surgery yet but I am a nurse and I agree with all the " gas " diagnosis. Also always call your doctor, no one on a "social site" should be giving anyone medical advice about diets or treatments. Suggestions are fine but always follow what your doctor, nurses, or nutritionist had told you. Ultimately they are responsible and liable for your care especially if something goes wrong, if you didn't follow instructions they may not be. Good luck and hope you get to feeling better. I'm looking forward to joining the "banded"!!

Hello all!

I am new to these forums. I have just found it and I can tell I should be visiting quite often.

However I am panicing at the moment. I got banded yesterday morning. I'm now back home' date=' in pain and experiencing a feeling that is freaking me out - basically every time i try to take a deeper breath I get the sensation of something squeezing inside my chest /below sternum. I figured it is probably the band but why would it give me such unpleasant feelings when it's not filled yet? I havn't eaten anything but tiny pot of natural yoghurt and drinking tea and Water. The feeling just comes suddently, 'suffocates' me for about 15 seconds and goes away. Really feeling alot of discomfort at the moment.

I am also second guessing myself - should i have done it? I was milion per cent sure about it before, but now i suppose all the pain is messing with my mind - normally id just hit the fridge heh...

I would be very grateful for any information regarding the band senastions similar to mine and what can I do to ease them out?

All the best,

Matilda[/quote']

Hi, I'm a UK Bandster and want to add some comments to try and assist in calming you down. I was banded 11 days ago. My after surgery Breakfast was a fruit juice, yogurt with no 'bits' and a fruit compot. I questioned the Breakfast that I was being given in hospital by the medical team. The breakfast was ok and surgeons instructions. I have not been on clear fluids at all, just any food that would be able to pass through a straw (you don't use the straw as this causes wind).

My medical team advise liquids for two weeks to give the stitches around the band time to heal and dissolve. Weeks 3 & 4 will be mushy food. My surgeon is banding 10 patients every day and has the highest UK success rate. Chosen by me for this reason.

In relation to the pain you are experiencing, below central sternum area, I have had this for the first 8-9 days. I could not breath deeply without this 'strange' pain starting before my lungs were fully expanded. It was a very very uncomfortable feeling. It's the device settling in. It passes.

I am no expert. I have had a lot of help from this fantastic forum. We are all different. Protect yourself from 'over reacting' to initial symptoms BUT take stock of the feelings. I write a diary every day and yes, I can see, I am describing pain as getting less and less. Be aware of the emergency situations though. (Severe pain not drinking etc all on the notes given when you left, the stuff that you need to class as emergency)

You haven't made a mistake. Something that's going to last a lifetime and take away all the angst around food, yo yo dieting, high blood pressure, binging, unhappiness, tiredness, lethargy, lack of confidence, social indifference, fertility...... It's worth a little bit of pain. It will pass. Good luck. I'm only 10 days in front of you.

Just an update: all the discomfort, while still there is much less intense. Still sore on the port incision though, can't lay on that side at all. overall I can tell I am recovering steadily. I am actually feeling really ok.

I for once still feel hunger though. It's different than before, way more controlled. I blame my surgeon for doing such a good job I seem to have little swelling/scarring that would kill the hunger completely :D. I get full instantly after eating a tiny pot of yoghurt/soup/protein shake.. I am drinking about 3 litres of water/tea a day, actually starting to wonder if I'm not pushing it, but I got told to drink alot so I don't mind that.

onwards to sorting head-hunger o/