Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Frustrated and scared

So I got the lapband in Nov 2010. I lost 60 lbs and have not been losing anything since. I do need to exercise and i don't always eat the right foods. Lately I have been thinking about the long term effects it could have on me and I'm honestly scared. I have my wedding in 2 years and I want to lose the last 35 lbs so I can be at my goal weight for my wedding, but I'm seriously considering removing my band. Does anyone else have any doubts about their bands? Is anyone scared about getting really sick from it? When I got it I thought it was amazing and didn't think I would ever feel this way, but now I'm completely doubting my decision. It's been almost 3 yrs and only 60 lbs down. I'm kind of disappointed and scared for my health at the same time.

Statistically speaking, unless you have one of the old 4cc bands, you only have a 5% risk of serious complication as long as you follow your doctor's instructions as well as the band rules. That means so long as you do what you're supposed to do you have a 95% chance of not having any complications.

I'm curious why after almost 3 years you're suddenly doubting your decision? Have you had a problem of some sort?

As far as weight loss, you have to remember it all boils down to simple math. When you're burning more calories than you eat you lose weight. The band won't magically make you lose weight. It's there to control your hunger and allow you to be satisfied on less food but it's not magic. The work will always be yours to do.

If you want to lose more weight I'd start eating right, exercising, and tracking your calories.

Best wishes.

Without any real knowledge of what you are doing wrong, I cant help with what you can do to kickstart your wl.

When is the last time you got a fill? Are you in green? How many cals do you consume? What does a typical day of meals look like for you?

I'm not sure what you are scared of and why you want to remove your band either. Do you suffer from complications?

I'm not scared of getting "sick" or suffering complications because I respect my band and do not put myself in a position to create a scenario where complications will most likely begin. I am 4 yrs postop and am more afraid to lose my band. I know 100% I will regain all my weight if I do.

I was banded 2007 and lost 85 pounds, about 2 years later, I messed up and got something stuck. I had the saline from my band removed. A month later we also lost our health insurance. Fast forward 4 years later, I gained 22 pounds and would have gained more if I didn't have my band. We have health insurance again and had my first fill since 2009. I am on the losing end once again and I'm grateful to that little tool that is helping me slowly lose weight again. I have chosen to eat the right foods, move around more often, and use my band as a tool. Who knows, maybe in a few more years I will finally reach my goal :)

So I got the lapband in Nov 2010. I lost 60 lbs and have not been losing anything since. I do need to exercise and i don't always eat the right foods. Lately I have been thinking about the long term effects it could have on me and I'm honestly scared. I have my wedding in 2 years and I want to lose the last 35 lbs so I can be at my goal weight for my wedding, but I'm seriously considering removing my band. Does anyone else have any doubts about their bands? Is anyone scared about getting really sick from it? When I got it I thought it was amazing and didn't think I would ever feel this way, but now I'm completely doubting my decision. It's been almost 3 yrs and only 60 lbs down. I'm kind of disappointed and scared for my health at the same time.

I'm a little confused by what your concern is exactly, is it that you haven't lost all the weight? Or that you think your band is going to suddenly cause complications? Or that you think if you try to lose those last 35lbs with the band that you'll cause problems??

Firstly, if you aren't exercising and you know you're not eating well, then I'm sure it's no surprise to you that you haven't lost all your excess weight. 60lbs while not eating well or exercising is pretty damned good if you ask me. If you really want to lose those last 35lbs, then you can use the band to help, but getting there will also be up to you. I have lost over 100% of my excess body weight, but Mis is right, you need to do the right things to make that happen.

As for complications, yes sure I worry about it. Same as I worry about the complications that could arise from the broken tailbone I got this year. Or the IVF medications I pumped myself full of while I was trying to conceive my son, but until it happens, I'm not going to cause myself more issues by fixing what ain't broke. But that's just my own opinion.

Lastly I actually DID have a complication where I had a leak last year that persisted for 15 months. I then realised how much I took my band for granted in terms of maintaining my weight for the 3 years beforehand. I gained 35lbs in the first 10 months of the leak while trying REALLY hard not to. Then I worked out and dieted to try to lose what I gained and only managed to lose 15lb in the next 5 months.

So if you think losing 60lbs without exercise/eating well, and maintaining that loss for 2 years is disappointing, try working out like a dog, counting every calorie for 5 months and only losing 15lbs. That's what life without a band was like, and made it an easy decision for me to get my leaky band replaced with another band.

Now, in 3 months after my band replacement, with getting fills and no formal cardio exercising and NO dieting, I've lost 12lbs already. So I'm not going to worry about how the band might cause me to be sick, I'm concentrating on how the band is helping get healthier.

I don't know why I'm getting attitudes for voicing my thoughts about my own experience bc I thought that was what this forum was all about.

It is what it's about, talking about experiences, which is why I have spoken to you straight. The fact is, to lose all your excess weight, you have to work at it, which you said you haven't really done, but still managed to clock up a pretty decent weight loss.

I then said to lose the last bit, you're going to have to put in the effort.

I then gave you related information from my own experience about how hard it really is without the band, having been on both sides of the fence recently.

I also tried to put into perspective your fears about complications and how bad things can happen at any time, so worrying about it sometimes is worse than it happening.

I addressed your post despite not quite knowing what you were concerned about to begin with and I may not have been as sweet about it as you might have preferred but I'm at work and posting during my lunch-break so my time is pretty limited. Yet I still thought to provide advice based on my experience. Take it or leave it, it's up to you.

I don't know why I'm getting attitudes for voicing my thoughts about my own experience bc I thought that was what this forum was all about.

I'm not seeing attitudes. Just some folks responding to your questions?

Oh no not u girls! Lol no thank u for ur feed back. I got confused...first time using this app. I saw someone's thread on a different forum and I voiced my opinion and I had someone really rude write something. So i wrote that but I thought I wrote it on that thread lol. Sorry about that!

And honestly I'm not really "scared" I'm more concerned with going back to my old habits. The band definitely helped me but I feel that I need to help myself mentally as well. I eat smaller portions now and completely changed my habits but in my head I still feel that I'm not 100% changed. So I still struggle with food and not eating the right things sometimes so I get scared I'm going to cause my own harm to the band. I just wanted to vent bc I know I could find someone on here that understands :)

And honestly I'm not really "scared" I'm more concerned with going back to my old habits. The band definitely helped me but I feel that I need to help myself mentally as well. I eat smaller portions now and completely changed my habits but in my head I still feel that I'm not 100% changed. So I still struggle with food and not eating the right things sometimes so I get scared I'm going to cause my own harm to the band. I just wanted to vent bc I know I could find someone on here that understands :)

I wonder sometimes if I had mine removed, could I maintain? I don't think I could but I think I've learned so much about myself and nutrition during the last 1 1/2 years that I could be more successful(than before band) if I didn't have the band. I know it would be very difficult though.

The band works this way: hard Protein keeps you full for longer. Eat Protein in the majority and the rest in other food groups, don't eat sliders like chips and Cookies and ice cream, and you're working WITH your band to manage your hunger.

Removing your band isn't going to change your old habits or your poor relationship with food. In fact if I were to hazard a guess, it would make it FAR worse because you have nothing there to help with your physical hunger.

I think I understand that you're saying that you want to lose, but fear that you can't work with your band due to the fear that you will damage it because you think you lack self-control. That's a hard one to solve, I expect therapy might be a good start because that's psychological not physiological. But generally speaking removing your band will probably make that far worse for you in the long run.