Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Absurd Cost of Medical Care

SIJoe

Hi all - I read an article a few weeks back about the varying costs of a colonoscopy throughout the US and other countries. The differences in costs was huge. I had my lap band surgery last month. This morning, I checked my insurance website and found the following: the surgeon billed $10,000, the anesthesiologist billed $2,500, and the hospital billed $49,250 - the total = $61,800! My procedure, that started at nine PM (yes, PM), lasted all of 75 minutes. I was in the recovery room an hour at most, and I was discharged home the following morning around 11 AM. I can understand the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's fees, but almost $50,000 for the hospital when I was there for about 14 hours?! This is so absurd. No wonder our healthcare system is in such disarray. No wonder why some of us - US citizens, are forced to seek medical care outside our country. Deplorable.

Hi all - I read an article a few weeks back about the varying costs of a colonoscopy throughout the US and other countries. The differences in costs was huge. I had my lap band surgery last month. This morning, I checked my insurance website and found the following: the surgeon billed $10,000, the anesthesiologist billed $2,500, and the hospital billed $49,250 - the total = $61,800! My procedure, that started at nine PM (yes, PM), lasted all of 75 minutes. I was in the recovery room an hour at most, and I was discharged home the following morning around 11 AM. I can understand the surgeon's and anesthesiologist's fees, but almost $50,000 for the hospital when I was there for about 14 hours?! This is so absurd. No wonder our healthcare system is in such disarray. No wonder why some of us - US citizens, are forced to seek medical care outside our country. Deplorable.

It's really a shame, and if you don't have insurance in our country you are pretty much screwed! They even had a investigation on a particular hospital recently on the news of "over billing" for simple things like those little tiny cups that they bring your pill in while you are in the hospital and I think they billed the insurance about $1,500 for each tiny cup that they gave each patient, which is criminal.

The medical business is BIG business, and sadly most people lives on the line,

I guess it's a slippery slope because in some countries healthcare is free, BUT, some people may not get specialized care even if they have a lot of money and they come to the US IF they are rich to get that specialized care.

But something really needs to be done about fraud and excessive and outrageous billing practices in the US healthcare system.

Tell me about it! I went through True Results. Since my insurance required my surgery to be done in a certain kind of facility (hospital of "excellence" instead of surgical center) my surgery cost over $37,000! And it was day surgery! Those that did self pay at the surgical center, with the same surgeon, paid $11,000. What an insurance rip off!

Well, being a US citizen living in Canada I can tell you socialized medicine is nothing to gravitate towards. I actually fly back monthly to the US for health care because of the horrendous care here. Let me tell you, cheaper means less quality...

Also, being an RN I would have to see the US healthcare system be reduced to socialized medicine standards.

There are many factors that contribute to the extraordinary expense of medical care. Factors like excessive liability insurance rates for doctors (many OBGYNs dont practice anymore because of it), absorbed costs for uninsured patients, FDA, OSHA and Joint Commission regulations and standards, lobbying for lower patient:nurse ratios, the list just goes on.

But at least you don't have to wait 1 year for an MRI and 2 years for a procedure that in the US would take same week for an MRI and one month for your surgery. (True story, it's mine).

Easy to point out the numbers, but a real subjective look at the entire picture is necessary to understand that this is not purely profit motivated.

Our healthcare costs are completely ridiculous.

I have MS and the medication I need to control it costs $55,000 per year. In Mexico, it costs literally half that. It's the exact same medication, made by the exact same company, but there's a $20K different in price.

Americans have the highest medical costs in the world because unlike other countries, our government doesn't have legislation against inflated medical charges for both services and product. As a result, costs here are ridiculous.

I agree with Hazel, that socialized medicine isn't something to move toward. I won't even start in on Obamacare..... Another conversation, for another type of website....

Though my hospital bill was something like $86K (stayed one night), what insurance paid, was dramatically lower. When someone has insurance, they inflate the bill so they will be paid out based on a higher percentage. That's why the self pay folks have a lot lower bill. I'm not condoning this, but it's just the way the current system works. There IS something very wrong with our heath care system, but I don't believe that socialized medicine is the answer. I have friends who live in countries with this medical care system, and it's not very good, for the reasons stated above. I'm afraid of where this country is headed.....

Hospitals and doctors can bill whatever they want, but that doesn't mean they are going to get paid that amount. There are insurance negotiated rates that apply to each and every procedure code, office visit, medicines, supplies, etc. Also, be aware that most patient balances are negotiable and hospital systems will accept a lesser amount from the patient to settle outstanding balances if you pay in full. Example: you have a 80/20 plan, you have surgery then receive a bill for your 20%. Call up the billing department and offer to take care of your balance in full for a 25% discount. I agree that the fees are outrageous, but know that hospitals are willing to work with you to get paid.

when people start running down socialized medicine practiced by other developed nations they conveniently forget to mention those populations are healthy than we are. they don't talk about people going bankrupt to save a family member's life. they don't talk about the original death panels run by the insurance companies.

finally they sell america short. if they believed in americans they be willing to accept we could improve upon what other countries do but no they don't believe in america or their fellow americans.