Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Saw a different Doctor at my doctor's practice yesterday as my surgeon was out. He mentioned that not only should I not drink Water within 15 minutes before eating but also to make sure to drink some Water 15 minutes before eating and a glass full in the morning. This flushes out the thick saliva that accumulates around the band and makes the process of chewing and eating more consistent.

Huh! Makes sense, why didn't I think of that.

Confused....?

My doctor doesn't want any fluids for 30 minutes before and after eating. Every doctor has their own rules.

not only should I not drink Water within 15 minutes before eating but also to make sure to drink some Water 15 minutes before eating and a glass full in the morning.

Some of us aren't clear on this comment. It says, you shouldn't drink 15 minutes before a meal, then says you should? I don't know that your fingers typed what you were thinking :P

My doctor doesn't want any fluids for 30 minutes before and after eating. Every doctor has their own rules.

Same here.....

Sorry, I will give it one more shot.

Basically drink just before your no drinking time starts. So if the doctor says don't drink anything 30 minutes before you eat then make sure to drink something just before. So 35-40 minutes before eating, drink 1/2 to one glass Water to flush out any saliva.

Some people follow Dr. Simpson's advice on waiting just a minute before drinking, in that case drink some Water a few minutes before you start eating.

Hi PG,

Thanks for sharing your docs advice.

You'll see that many of us bandsters drink Hot Drinks as well before our morning meals to help loosen the restriction as we are normally tighter in the mornings. Secondary to any saliva build up, dehydration and a unused band overnight causes even further restriction and it needs to be loosed up. So yes!!! drink up to the alloted time.

Also, most of us are usually drinking up until our given 'no drinking allowed' time period to ensure we get adequate Fluid intake. With the (1/2 hr -1.5 hr) breaks around meals, it can be a challenge for those who fill easy, those who are busy and those who are not accustomed to drinking 64+oz a day.