Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

What Foods did you have to give up?

I haven't found any food that I just cannot eat, ever. I don't have a big fill, though...but it is fickle. some days, chicken is just fine. Other days, it gives me a "golfball." Like others, I've found that dark meat is easier. I have eaten bread, rice, potatoes, eggs, shrimp, salad, cake, melted cheese, etc...just smaller amounts, and smaller bites. I honestly think, for me, that it is more of a matter of the size of the bite, and the speed of eating than anything else.

For the newer members, this is good advice: just because you CAN eat something, doesn't mean you SHOULD.

I ought to remember that more often! LOL!

I have only had a problem with deli ham...but i think well i know i ate it way to fast.....i am scared to even try bread so i just stay away from it.....I have had small amounts of Pasta and by small i mean a bite.....i can tolerate pretty much everything else...all seafood, groundbeef, turkey, chicken (dark meat), chili, eggs and all veggies.....BUT....i have not had a fill yet so i am sure that will definitely change....i will have my first fill july 6th and i am kinda nervous because eating is so easy right now....just worried that i will have a hard time....i dont like PB'ing it is not pleasant at all...really gross....lol

I three years I have given up chicken, veal, pork, turkey, steak, burgers, seafood, Pasta, bread, toast, Bagels, sandwiches, wraps,all cold cuts, pizza, chinese food, no hot dogs at a stadium or sausages.

I CAN eat sashimi, seared foie gras, steak tartare, most fish if in a sauce and undercooked ( not salmon unless raw or sushi grade). Very crusty French bread, crackers, good hard cheeses, brie etc. Some Indian and Tai food that is unhealthy so I kinda avoid it. I can eat berries, watermelon, canteloup, honey dew but not fresh pineapple or apples or oranges. I can eat Mexican but without the soft taco or burrito...just the insides. I can eat fish tacos but again without the "wrapping". Can eat vegetarian tortilla Soup anywhere and CPK 1/2 order chopped barbecue salad with lots of dressing so it's pretty unhealthy. I consider Qdobo, Calif. pizza Kitchen etc. like fast food places so it is rare that I eat there or take out from them. I can eat Wendy's $.99 chile in a pinch.

With me it has always been a texture type thing with foods working or not working and not my chewing them up. Crispy but not fried will work. Chilean Sea Bass always works as does Sole, Flounder and Red Snapper.

I don't feel that I miss anything and no one knows that I am banded. I eat all over the world but order what I know I can eat. I love Mediterrean Fish Soup that I lived on when we were in Nice in December. No one was the wiser either.

BAD NEWS---all candy, ice cream, cheesecake, gelato, and most cake like brownies never gets stuck as do all the bad snack chips. I buy everything in the 100 calorie sizes and do treat myself to them on a regular basis however, I only eat one bag and not all the bags. If I opened and purchased a big bag I would be a dead duck. I have bought regular size and measured and made my own snack size but I cheat when I can open the Zip Lock bag too easily. I have thrown away all kinds of things that my husband has brought into the house such as donuts which get STUCK and are just not a food group to be eaten. :)

I have found for ME that the band just doesn't do the work. I have to make the RIGHT FOOD choices daily or I can gain weight. I know that there are others who can eat everything and lose. I wasn't a high BMI but I do exercise daily too. It is a struggle to maintain and hopefully get to my unrealistic goal!!!!!!! BTW, I eat a ZONE bar every day for Breakfast and travel with them in my pocket book everywhere. I also carry the Crystal Light individual packets to for Water bottles.< /p>

I know that my eating habits may not be your norm but it works for me since you asked!

I eat triscuits and wheat thins but you could eat any hard cracker. Check the box for fiber...you could use them as scoops for refried Beans , some chopped Tomato a bit of fat free cheese and have 'nachos'.:biggrin1:

Also consider soy cheese, they have loads of Protein and they taste really close to regular cheese. ~Mandy

Here is my list of things I have PB'd on:

Scrambled eggs

Hummus and veggie chips (this gave me a PB so bad I had to get an emergency unfill due to my stomach swelling shut after hours of vomiting)

McDonald's anything

Ricotta cheese mixed with Peanut Butter

KFC chicken fingers

Sushi

The texture of the food seems very important. Anything "gluey" like hummus or ricotta cheese is impossible. Also has alot to do with how fast I eat and how big of bites I take...

I was just recently banded July 11, 2006. I am starving and feel a little dizzy. I have been drinking Water, eating broth. I have my follow up visit On the 26th of July. All I want is a salad. And is it true that there is no bread ever from now on. I can deal with that I guess. I have not weighed yet, since it has only been 6 days.

Flour Totillas, Cokes, White bread, Rice, White Poultry, Left-Over anything, OH AND SWEETS! (thats the hardest one, They go down but with a HEAVY price)

So far the only "foods" I've had are SF pudding, applesauce, and Cream of Wheat. Oh, and yesterday and the day before I had Egg Beaters eggs scrambled and they were great, and went down good, and satisfied me for at least an hour and a half. Otherwise I'm still doing slim fast and adding Protein powder, popsicles, and chicken broth. I go for my follow-up this coming Thursday. I am going on a trip on Friday and will have to eat out. I'm trying to decide what I should order.

I'm seeing a commonality between a lot of you - bread, Pasta, dry and coarse meats, and sweets. This thread has been very helpful.

A PB is what we call a productive burp. It is where something that you have eaten or sometimes a drink comes back up, like a baby spitting up, there is no stomach acid involved just what you have consumed. Sometimes it is because you have swallowed too big of a bite and sometimes it is from eating too fast or not chewing well enough. It's not as bad as it sounds, really just a little uncomfortable. ~Mandy

I had to give up bread-any kind of it, sometimes Wasa light makes me PB other than that Im doing ok