Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Had a really bad episode today, emergency visit to see my surgeon

ok, don't landblast me on what I ate for Breakfast, thought I could handle it. 99% of the time I make my own Protein shakes but this morning I chose to have a toasted bagel, strawberry at that with ff strawberry cream cheese to boot. Well, it didn't go so well, I finished it but then realized I was stuck and big time. Oh the pain I was experiencing and then all of the sudden the forceful vomiting. I vomited for 2 hrs, tried to sooth my band with hot tea when I thought I was done but it came back up, I couldn't even drink my Water, it came back up, time to call my dr. Of course by this time his office was closed. He called back in less than 5 mins, laughing at me said I guess you don't want any more Bagels do you, no kidding. He told me that he was still in his office and for me to come on in and he would take some out of my band. Got there and sure enough he took out 1cc and instantly I felt better and was able to drink. I go see him again on the 5th and he said he would put back what he took out but for right now I was really aggravated in there and for me to take it easy for the weekend on foods. Somehow during the course of the day I managed to lose 1 lb when I weighed this morning and tonight.

Let's just say I don't want a strawberry bagel for a long long long time.

Donna here and still learning this darn band!

Some time

What I was tryin to say was sometimes we want to try something then it just doesn"t agree with r band but we try and then we know but so sorry that it was a awful feeling and episode for u but just do ur shakes and stay on liquids for a day or 2 and hope you feel better glad u didn"t have to go to e r what a learning experience we"re going thru to be healthy n the long run , keep doing what you have been doing cause you have been using thee tool u were given the right way and it shows.

Sounds like you had a good ole fashion band whipping. I've had a few in the last 7 years and they are no fun. None of mine required emergency unfills, but I have had food stuck for SEVERAL hours and vomited for hours until the food came back up with my first lap band, but I surely thought I was gonna die.

Many people have had to get their bands REMOVED in an emergency from obstruction, one girl I know about 6 years ago was out eating with her family at Breakfast and ate a biscuit (BAD CHOICE) and the biscuit got stuck so bad, she vomited repeatedly and could not stop, removing all the saline from the band did not help, they ended up removing her band that same day, her stomach was just too obstructed.

I would say MOST of lap band removals are from either eating too much food on a too tight band (which eventually will cause horrible reflux, damage esophagus) and frequently getting food stuck and vomiting every single day..

When you get restricted optimally, there are some foods you should never eat, or eat with EXTREME caution, these foods have caused people to get their bands removed which are thick bread, hard apples, grilled dry chicken, chinese food, especially the rice, it's Gummy and will swell, and will cause obstruction, I've had repeated vomiting from it with my old band.

You have to eat band friendly foods as long as you have a restricted band, bread and Bagels are not lap band-friendly, all of your food should be moist, like baked very moist chicken and not grilled, things like low calorie Protein based casseroles, anything in a crock pot, like stews.

Many people will say they vomit every single day, but they forget to mention that they tried to eat a burger and fries, these foods will cause obstruction and vomiting on a very restricted band.

Some people will vomit so much until they cause band damage and once the band is damaged by slippage or dilation, unfilling will not help, and they will get reflux so bad until the band will have to be removed.

It's not really hard living with a band and avoid vomiting but you just have to choose your food wisely.and chew well.

Sorry about your experience, hope you and your band is on the mend.

Hope you feel better! I really, really, really hate to throw-up, which I hope will not be happening once I get banded and it's stories like these that I'm filing away in my brain. No Bagels (whoops, sorry, I said the B word). Seriously, I'm so glad this did not result in something worse and I hope you recover well. Best wishes!

Bagel dough is the worst for we bandsters. I still eat Bagels a few times a year but I buy the orowheat flat 100 cal bagels and go very slowly. I try to make sure each bite makes it through before munching on the next bite.

You're so lucky to have a doctor who responds so quickly.

yep been there done that.....so glad your feeling better now

Eat and learn. It's a ongoing journey. Happy you are OK now!

I stopped eating regular Bagels but I do toast the bagel thins by Thomas. I toast the thin sliced bagel, add Smucke's sugar free marmalade and I take very small bites but I've never had a problem with a regular bagel either. I'm just very cautious and take tiny bites

Glad your ok. Yesterday, My wife and I ran to the store for a quick buy. Then we decided to go to the movies. I didn't have any foods with me and we only had 20 mins till the movie started. I was getting hungry and knew there was nothing good in the theater. Subway was next door, so we went. I ordered a flatbread club, big mistake. Two bites in and I could feel it not going down well. I sipped some Water and in a few minutes it passed. Non stop hiccups started. I hiccuped through 3/4's of the movie. My wife dealt with it well. Not as bad as your episode, but a learning experience. Note to self: bread bad.

Sounds like you had a good ole fashion band whipping. I've had a few in the last 7 years and they are no fun. None of mine required emergency unfills, but I have had food stuck for SEVERAL hours and vomited for hours until the food came back up with my first lap band, but I surely thought I was gonna die.

Many people have had to get their bands REMOVED in an emergency from obstruction, one girl I know about 6 years ago was out eating with her family at Breakfast and ate a biscuit (BAD CHOICE) and the biscuit got stuck so bad, she vomited repeatedly and could not stop, removing all the saline from the band did not help, they ended up removing her band that same day, her stomach was just too obstructed.

I would say MOST of lap band removals are from either eating too much food on a too tight band (which eventually will cause horrible reflux, damage esophagus) and frequently getting food stuck and vomiting every single day..

When you get restricted optimally, there are some foods you should never eat, or eat with EXTREME caution, these foods have caused people to get their bands removed which are thick bread, hard apples, grilled dry chicken, chinese food, especially the rice, it's Gummy and will swell, and will cause obstruction, I've had repeated vomiting from it with my old band.

You have to eat band friendly foods as long as you have a restricted band, bread and Bagels are not lap band-friendly, all of your food should be moist, like baked very moist chicken and not grilled, things like low calorie Protein based casseroles, anything in a crock pot, like stews.

Many people will say they vomit every single day, but they forget to mention that they tried to eat a burger and fries, these foods will cause obstruction and vomiting on a very restricted band.

Some people will vomit so much until they cause band damage and once the band is damaged by slippage or dilation, unfilling will not help, and they will get reflux so bad until the band will have to be removed.

It's not really hard living with a band and avoid vomiting but you just have to choose your food wisely.and chew well.

Sorry about your experience, hope you and your band is on the mend.

Thank you so much for your insight from a veteran like you. wow. I know, I somehow still crave old foods and that day I chose a bagel instead of my normal shake and well I paid for it. I am able to eat toast or bread but try and limit myself on these things because of carbs. I usually eat fish, chicken, stews in the crockpot. Today I cooked chicken breast with ff mushroom Soup in the crock pot with some Amish fresh veggies steamed oh so yummy. Just when I was feeling restriction too, dang, and he took a whole 1cc out but I go back on the 5th and he said he would put it back in. Believe you me lesson learned. lol

thanks all for the well wishes, better today, still took it easy on food choice, I did however eat moist chicken in the cockpot with ff mushroom Soup on it so it was like gravy on it and I basically shredded it.

I do have a wonderful surgeon, he said to me and my mom who was with me, I just don't trust the other surgeons in the hospital (non lap band dr's) to do this therefore I want to be avail to my lap band patients 24/7. I have even called him at 10:00 at night before and he calls right back.

A week ago tonight, off subject here but a week ago tonight I had to be rushed to the ER here in Hopkinsville, I was falling, staggering and leaning towards my right side and couldn't walk, literally scared my mom to death, of course she was thinking stroke. She called an ambulance, got to ER, they did CT scan and then the ER DR came in and said I had a blood clot on the brain and they weren't equipped to handle it and I was being transferred to Nashville asap so off I go in the back of an ambulance again at midnight. Got to Nashville and throughout the night tests were done and Sunday rolled around and more tests, then the Neurologist came in and said "no blood clot, nothing, maybe this is inner ear, you need to follow up with an ear nose and throat dr", I was discharged Sunday night. Then Tues I went to see my dr here in town and he is treating me with Meclizine for inner ear, not helping much with dizziness so I will call him Monday. But the best part of this story is my lap band dr caught wind that I might have had a mini stroke and called me at home to see what was going on and to check on me, I was like dang, ok, thanks. So yes I do have a wonderful dr.

thanks all for the well wishes' date=' better today, still took it easy on food choice, I did however eat moist chicken in the cockpot with ff mushroom Soup on it so it was like gravy on it and I basically shredded it.

I do have a wonderful surgeon, he said to me and my mom who was with me, I just don't trust the other surgeons in the hospital (non lap band dr's) to do this therefore I want to be avail to my lap band patients 24/7. I have even called him at 10:00 at night before and he calls right back.

A week ago tonight, off subject here but a week ago tonight I had to be rushed to the ER here in Hopkinsville, I was falling, staggering and leaning towards my right side and couldn't walk, literally scared my mom to death, of course she was thinking stroke. She called an ambulance, got to ER, they did CT scan and then the ER DR came in and said I had a blood clot on the brain and they weren't equipped to handle it and I was being transferred to Nashville asap so off I go in the back of an ambulance again at midnight. Got to Nashville and throughout the night tests were done and Sunday rolled around and more tests, then the Neurologist came in and said "no blood clot, nothing, maybe this is inner ear, you need to follow up with an ear nose and throat dr", I was discharged Sunday night. Then Tues I went to see my dr here in town and he is treating me with Meclizine for inner ear, not helping much with dizziness so I will call him Monday. But the best part of this story is my lap band dr caught wind that I might have had a mini stroke and called me at home to see what was going on and to check on me, I was like dang, ok, thanks. So yes I do have a wonderful dr.[/quote']

I got the crap beaten out of me by my band for the same reason one morning. I think it was roasted chicken tho. No big right! . Well in the morning I just wanted something solid and not sweet for a change.. BIG MISTAKE, I'LL NEVER FORGET IT!

Glad ur better.