Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Acid reflux, vomitting, coughing all night

I'm also diabetic and it does make things more tricky, I find a one ounce piece of soft cheese is enough for my Protein, and therefore my diabetes is managed. I find the same with a good quality yogurt with half a spoonful of honey also works. It's not hard on the band and is technically a slip food but not too damaging. This helps when I have had acid reflux. For me tho acid reflux has been when I have tried to fight the band rather than work with it.

I have read here, that if you limit your night time eating and drinking that your night cough, reflux and other terrible symptoms will go away. Well, what about if you're a diabetic as I am. You just cant stop eating 5-6 hours before going to bed. I also bowl twice a week and need some sort of fruit, snack, or even a drink of Water before going home to go directly to bed. I've had so many fills and unfills that I cant even count anymore. Some things are easier said then done, and it's not always the sufferers fault.

Then have a Protein shake. It's actual food that causes my problems. If I opt for a Protein Shake instead of food then I don't have problems at night and that should mesh fine with your blood sugar needs. I try not to eat 'food' at least 2 hours before bed but 3 is usually safest. 5-6 hours is a bit extreme.

Thanks for the suggestions. I go to see a dietitian tomorrow to see about getting back on track after 3.5 yrs. I had to have a large un-fill a year ago B/C I was constantly getting fills by my Dr. due to never reaching that sweet spot. It didn't matter what I ate or drank if it was after 6PM, I would have the worse acid reflux imaginable(and I didn't go to bed untill 11:30 or 12). I mean throat burning, vomiting in my sleep, coughing,coughing,coughing and just plain miserable. I have a dilation now and have gained back around 12 lbs. Hopefully I can start anew tomorrow. My stomach is stretched, sitting high and about three times its original size. wish me luck, I don't want another surgery if it could be helped.

I have been trying to find the "right" place to tell my story and this seems as good a place to start as any.

I was banded in 2007. I did quite well for a few years. I had only one fill the entire time I had the band in. I lost 75 pounds and kept if off for a while. I started having a cough at night that became chronic. I coughed EVERY night, most of the night long. It was unbearable for my husband and became a real problem for me when I started to lose my voice. I am a singer and this was something I couldn't live with.

I started to investigate why I might be coughing and went through a lot of testing. I had allergy and asthma testing, all negative. I had an endoscopy to see if there was anything going on with my esophogus, also negative. I had a laryngeal stroboscope to make sure my vocal chords were ok. They were fine.

As time went on, I started to have reflux at night to the point of vomiting. I would wake from a dead sleep with vomit in my mouth, or worse, coming out my nose. It was horrible and this horrible side effect began to happen every single day! Not only at night....if I fell asleep during the day, it happened then too and not only laying down, it happened if I fell asleep sleeping in the car or on a plane. I thought for sure that I must have cancer of the stomach or some other disease.

The next thing that started happening was I would wake up feverish with EXTREME chills, unable to warm myself. My body ached as if I had the worst flu ever. I missed work on these days because I could not function. One day when I awoke like this, I had a doctor's appointment. While at the doctor, I mentioned it to him and he ran some blood tests. My white cell count was high that time, and every time after when I would wake with a fever. This led to more tests! Lyme disease, negative. Lymphoma-negative. They thought it might be endocarditis. It really became ridiculous. The end result of all of this madness....they diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. I knew that was NOT what was going on.

Throughout all of this testing, I was put on multiple drugs for the various symptoms I was having. None of them did anything. Family and friends urged me to consider that the LapBand was the problem. I didn't want to believe it, but I couldn't take it anymore and since the regurge was so bad, the docs wouldn't even consider adding liquid to the band. I decided to have the band removed.

My band was taken out on June 3, 2013 and I want you all to know that ALL of my symptoms ENDED that very day!!! I no longer have regurge at night. I no longer cough at all unless I have a cold. I have not had a fever since the removal! I do not have Fibromyalgia. I do not have anything wrong with me. My ailment was the LapBand and nothing else. The doc that took the band out said he thinks that when I was coughing and regurging at night, I was aspirating into my lungs and that is why I had fevers a couple of times a month. My body was fighting the foreign substance in my lungs!!!

I cannot tell you how happy I am to feel better and know that I am not a hypochondriac or a nut case! All of these symptoms happened to me and from what I see, they are happening to a lot of LapBanders. I am extremely grateful that I got it out of me before something more serious happened to me.

I am interested in speaking to others that are experiencing any of these symptoms. Your life is more important and I know your quality of life sucks if you are going through even half of what I experienced.

Thanks for listening.

Kathy

Hi Kathy,

Do you have any type of autoimmune disorder or family history of such? Hypothyroidism, Celiac, Lupus, MS, et al?

A friend of mine has complained of similar symptoms.... hummmm... maybe she should read this thread.

Last year I started having coughing at night and severe nightime reflux. I ignored it for 4 mths cuz I knew my dr would unfill me. Finally' date=' hubby ordered me to the dr. My band had slipped. They unfilled me by 1/2 and let me rest 4 weeks. Without a followup xray, he put 1cc back in 4 weeks later. I had no reflux but also no restriction. So he put another 1cc in. That nite the reflux started. My band had not fixed itself. The dr took out the previous 1cc out and told me it wasn't bad enuf to come out and the weightloss was now 100% up to me.

Fast forward to about 4 mths ago. My stomache was KILLING me for 4 days. Finally went to the ER (my dr is 3 hrs away) and after the CT they diagnosed me with a herniated band (when your band is up and over your band) and unfilled me and told me it needed to come out.

5 weeks ago I had a band to sleeve revision. it took my dr 30 minutes to dig my band out of my stomach. It had embedded itself. Making the recovery much harder than my lapband 4 yrs ago

Don't mess around with reflux. The band can be doing damage without you even knowing it. PM me if you have any questions...[/quote']

I had been diagnosed with aspiratic pnuemonia about 1 mth ago..took some anti's got better...but i was definately having that night time coughing which caused it. I got 1cc taken out which fixed the problem. I got another .75cc in since then and had one coughing episode but im guessing becuz i ate too late. I dont want this band taken out...im terrified of gaining this weight back. Im hoping i can keep everything under control. Any thoughts?

I have been trying to find the "right" place to tell my story and this seems as good a place to start as any.

I was banded in 2007. I did quite well for a few years. I had only one fill the entire time I had the band in. I lost 75 pounds and kept if off for a while. I started having a cough at night that became chronic. I coughed EVERY night, most of the night long. It was unbearable for my husband and became a real problem for me when I started to lose my voice. I am a singer and this was something I couldn't live with.

I started to investigate why I might be coughing and went through a lot of testing. I had allergy and asthma testing, all negative. I had an endoscopy to see if there was anything going on with my esophogus, also negative. I had a laryngeal stroboscope to make sure my vocal chords were ok. They were fine.

As time went on, I started to have reflux at night to the point of vomiting. I would wake from a dead sleep with vomit in my mouth, or worse, coming out my nose. It was horrible and this horrible side effect began to happen every single day! Not only at night....if I fell asleep during the day, it happened then too and not only laying down, it happened if I fell asleep sleeping in the car or on a plane. I thought for sure that I must have cancer of the stomach or some other disease.

The next thing that started happening was I would wake up feverish with EXTREME chills, unable to warm myself. My body ached as if I had the worst flu ever. I missed work on these days because I could not function. One day when I awoke like this, I had a doctor's appointment. While at the doctor, I mentioned it to him and he ran some blood tests. My white cell count was high that time, and every time after when I would wake with a fever. This led to more tests! Lyme disease, negative. Lymphoma-negative. They thought it might be endocarditis. It really became ridiculous. The end result of all of this madness....they diagnosed me with Fibromyalgia. I knew that was NOT what was going on.

Throughout all of this testing, I was put on multiple drugs for the various symptoms I was having. None of them did anything. Family and friends urged me to consider that the LapBand was the problem. I didn't want to believe it, but I couldn't take it anymore and since the regurge was so bad, the docs wouldn't even consider adding liquid to the band. I decided to have the band removed.

My band was taken out on June 3, 2013 and I want you all to know that ALL of my symptoms ENDED that very day!!! I no longer have regurge at night. I no longer cough at all unless I have a cold. I have not had a fever since the removal! I do not have Fibromyalgia. I do not have anything wrong with me. My ailment was the LapBand and nothing else. The doc that took the band out said he thinks that when I was coughing and regurging at night, I was aspirating into my lungs and that is why I had fevers a couple of times a month. My body was fighting the foreign substance in my lungs!!!

I cannot tell you how happy I am to feel better and know that I am not a hypochondriac or a nut case! All of these symptoms happened to me and from what I see, they are happening to a lot of LapBanders. I am extremely grateful that I got it out of me before something more serious happened to me.

I am interested in speaking to others that are experiencing any of these symptoms. Your life is more important and I know your quality of life sucks if you are going through even half of what I experienced.

Thanks for listening.

Kathy

Hi Kathy

Thank you for sharing your experience!

Im so sorry you had that frustrating and scary experience. What a relief that you were able to get resolution by taking the band out.

I appreciate that you wrote so clearly of your own experience and stressed quality of life. So very important.

~hiddn

I am contemplating going to the ER today because I don't have a doctor in the Dallas area. I was banded on June 25, 2012 and have lost 100 pounds. For the last few weeks, eating has gotten increasingly more difficult and have been having "refulx" and couging at night. Have also been waking up with indigestion most mornings. I had a hernia repaired when I had my band and it's very frustrating to be having indigestion again. It's also even starting to be uncomfortable to drink.

I worried that there is something major going on and I hope that going to the Emergency Room won't be a total waste of time. I need suggestions ASAP

Yes, hopefully the ER you go to will have a bariatric surgeon on call. It sounds like a slip. I have had one, I keep a lose band now. Better a slight weight gain than permanent damage to your body! Best wishes.

I went to the ER and they didn't do much. gave me Phenegren and hydrocodone, which I don't need. But they did give me Protonix, for my indigestion. I'm trying to make arrangements to go to a Bariatric surgeon/Gastrolenterologosit. I know it's nothing to mess around with.

I am contemplating going to the ER today because I don't have a doctor in the Dallas area. I was banded on June 25, 2012 and have lost 100 pounds. For the last few weeks, eating has gotten increasingly more difficult and have been having "refulx" and couging at night. Have also been waking up with indigestion most mornings. I had a hernia repaired when I had my band and it's very frustrating to be having indigestion again. It's also even starting to be uncomfortable to drink.

I worried that there is something major going on and I hope that going to the Emergency Room won't be a total waste of time. I need suggestions ASAP

It could be a slip or it could just be a pouch dilation. I would take some liquid motrin and go on full liquids for a few days and definitely see the doc.

Kathy759..

THANK YOU for your post!!!

I am typing this response to your post at 5:24 a.m. on a Saturday morning because I have been up since 1 :30 a.m. coughing. Your post has saved me having to type out my symptoms because my issues mirror yours.

I feel so much better knowing that I am not imaging my symptoms- and the constant fear and worry I have over my health. I know the band has to come out and I am ready for that to happen.

The band is great for some and not so for others. I am so happy for the people that have a success story to share and feel the pain from those of us that do not share in that experience.

However, I would not trade having the band because I know that had I not had the surgery in 2007, and has my health was at that time, I would not be typing this now..I would be suffering from major debilitating physical issues or dead.

Your post brings me comfort for my health and I appreciate you sharing.

Best of luck to all no matter which side of the fence falls your band experience.

I'm sure we can all agree that living an obese life is not one we chose and there are no "one size fits all" solutions to losing the weight.

Good judgement, strength and blessings to all!

Kathy759..

THANK YOU for your post!!!

I am typing this response to your post at 5:24 a.m. on a Saturday morning because I have been up since 1 :30 a.m. coughing. Your post has saved me having to type out my symptoms because my issues mirror yours.

I feel so much better knowing that I am not imaging my symptoms- and the constant fear and worry I have over my health. I know the band has to come out and I am ready for that to happen.

The band is great for some and not so for others. I am so happy for the people that have a success story to share and feel the pain from those of us that do not share in that experience.

However, I would not trade having the band because I know that had I not had the surgery in 2007, and has my health was at that time, I would not be typing this now..I would be suffering from major debilitating physical issues or dead.

Your post brings me comfort for my health and I appreciate you sharing.

Best of luck to all no matter which side of the fence falls your band experience.

I'm sure we can all agree that living an obese life is not one we chose and there are no "one size fits all" solutions to losing the weight.

Good judgement, strength and blessings to all!

Dear bandofhope, please see your bariatric doctor, as soon as you can, if you are having the same trouble as Kathy759. I, also, had the trouble, and my band had slipped. It is a dangerous situation. Good luck! Karen

It could be a slip or it could just be a pouch dilation. I would take some liquid motrin and go on full liquids for a few days and definitely see the doc.

I have only been banded 9mo and am having the very same symptoms. Fearing it's not a slip, I see my surgeon this Friday if I can hold out that long. The pain is almost unbearable

Maybe need a Monday apt!!

I have only been banded 9mo and am having the very same symptoms. Fearing it's not a slip, I see my surgeon this Friday if I can hold out that long. The pain is almost unbearable