Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Overheard conversation regarding WLS

Two women were talking about losing weight and the one was complaining how she was t loosing, and her cousin started after her and lost so much more. The. The other woman chimed, "well she probably had surgery!"

I so wanted to say something like, "lap band is a tool, y still need to follow a diet." I wanted to correct her and educate her.

And the way she said it was very demeaning like. Almost as if we took the easy way out. When that is farthest from the truth.

I dunno, maybe I should have educated them. I think if I did i would have lost it.

Oh well, I had to vent.

....and this is why alot of posters do not tell others that they had/have WLS. BTW, you were probably right not to say something. People like that think they know all the answers no matter what.

Thanks for sharing and this is the place for venting! I find it hard to keep my mouth shut sometimes when it comes to "educating" people.

Not just about WLS surgery either :) When people just don't understand the struggles we go through to lose weight no matter how we choose to do it, I get a bit upset.

No matter what you do in life to improve it, there is work involved. No one is perfect and we are all trying to live our lives the best we can from moment to moment. I'd rather spend my time making my life better and understanding why I make the choices I make, then judging someone else for theirs.

Though I will admit sometimes I can't control my eye rolls :)

Alot of times people hide their insecurities through attacking others and their decisions. You and I both know how badly these woman would just like to lose weight. You also know how bad they wish surgery is not the only solution for them. They too have to come to the realization and accept that indeed surgery is the only solution for some. They will learn through self education in many ways.

I catch myself wanting to approach people who are extremely obese and share my story and tell them about the lapband. But than I quickly remind myself how embarrassing that might be for that person and how inappropriate it really might be lol. It just hurts to see people suffering (and in your case ignorant to options).

It is very frustrating when stupid people make the comments they do. They love to criticize things they have absolutely no clue about, and pass judgement as if they were the almighty Himself. One dimensional thinking....

I'm one who rarely talks about having surgery. I'm to a point where I don't really give a s-hit what anyone thinks, at the same time, don't have the time or energy to educate the ignorant. I'm happy, and the immediate people in my world are happy for me. That's all that really matters. I also avoid the subject, because depending on who is making the comment, I could respond in a very calm, but demeaning way. So, I don't even start :rolleyes:

Two women were talking about losing weight and the one was complaining how she was t loosing' date=' and her cousin started after her and lost so much more. The. The other woman chimed, "well she probably had surgery!"

I so wanted to say something like, "lap band is a tool, y still need to follow a diet." I wanted to correct her and educate her.

And the way she said it was very demeaning like. Almost as if we took the easy way out. When that is farthest from the truth.

I dunno, maybe I should have educated them. I think if I did i would have lost it.

Oh well, I had to vent.[/quote']

So true and I agree with you. Thanks for venting for me lol!

no point in saying anything. there are people that are just negative gossips and will find anything to be negative about. that just happened to be the topic of the day. tomorrow the same person will be critical of someone and something else.

Thanks all! :D