Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I ate some food while still in the liquid/pureed stage. I am I doomed? HELP!

Hi All- I was banded on 07/26/13. About one week post op, I sucked on some goldfish (about 10) and swallowed them when they were mushy. I also ate some chips the same way about two weeks after surgery. Have I really messed up the healing of my scar tissue to where my band might slip? I am feeling really bad about it. I definitely did not gorge myself or get too crazy, but did eat some of these foods. I was careful too only swallow when they were mushy, but I read on another topic that the churning of your stomach when you eat the solids too close to surgery messes up the healing and can make it much easier for the band to slip. I also felt like I drank to much one day and went to bed feeling extra full.

Please let me know what your experience has been and if anyone else did some of these things too. I've lost 20 pounds and have mostly followed the diet otherwise and I get in my recommended 75-95g of protein/day. My anxiety is in overdrive thinking I messed it all up, especially because I am self pay and cannot afford to NOT have this work.

Thanks.. :(

I think you'd know by now if you'd done damage so I'd stop worrying.

I would recommend following your surgeon's plan from here on out.

Yeah, if there's a time to be strict about your diet, it the first four-six weeks when you're healing. Good luck and CONGRATZ on the 20lbs!

Hi All- I was banded on 07/26/13. About one week post op' date=' I sucked on some goldfish (about 10) and swallowed them when they were mushy. I also ate some chips the same way about two weeks after surgery. Have I really messed up the healing of my scar tissue to where my band might slip? I am feeling really bad about it. I definitely did not gorge myself or get too crazy, but did eat some of these foods. I was careful too only swallow when they were mushy, but I read on another topic that the churning of your stomach when you eat the solids too close to surgery messes up the healing and can make it much easier for the band to slip. I also felt like I drank to much one day and went to bed feeling extra full.

Please let me know what your experience has been and if anyone else did some of these things too. I've lost 20 pounds and have mostly followed the diet otherwise and I get in my recommended 75-95g of protein/day. My anxiety is in overdrive thinking I messed it all up, especially because I am self pay and cannot afford to NOT have this work.

Thanks.. :([/quote']

Firstly,why sabotage your diet with chips and gold fish? The lapband is not a magic bullet that makes you lose weight automatically. It is a tool to assist you in eating less food during meals and help assist you in not being hungry between meals. You should start logging your food and the app My Fitness Pal is a good way to keep you accountable for what you eat. Therefore, it's wise to count calories.let's face it a taste here and a handful of chips there add up. I used to dismiss my little tastes and not count them in my calories. I learned the hard way that just a taste of chocolate chip cookie dough cost me 135 calories! Before banding I would never have thought to include that in my calorie count.

If you follow your doctor's orders you should be successful but you have to hold yourself accountable for everything that goes into your mouth. Best wishes to you!

CALM down! Go back to following your surgeon's rules. I am sure that you will be okay! But know that "slider" foods can sabotage your weightloss just as much as overeating! Back away from the chips, gold fish, pretzels, ice cream, etc.!Best wishes. Karen

oh cb...I can't reiterate enough what the other posters have said. You need to change the way you eat or you will not have the success you want. I know people who are still eating the wrong foods and while they have lost weight initially, they do not keep it off and often have complications because they are not compliant. Don't worry about damaging the band...worry about what you are eating. Yes....track everything. It is an amazing wakeup call when you see what a little here or there adds up to. Good luck. You can be successful as long as you do what you know you are supposed to do.

Look, the reality is that a few goldfish will not ruin your weight-loss attempts. chips did not wound you. So don't worry at all, you're fine!!!

This whole weight loss thing is a really really long journey. Some people are able to follow the rules right away, and their weight comes off quickly. Others are not able to follow as well and they have to get used to it and the weight comes off slower.

For me, I'm a food addict and the mental side of having the band has really been the hardest part. It's not easy to have your fix taken away... In the beginning, I had major mood swings, was depressed, angry, and I fought against it as hard as I could about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time I followed the rules.

It took me about 8-10 months to stop panicking, and now, at 14 months post-op my weight-loss is in its highest gear yet!!!!! I've lost steadily since the beginning, a lot initially but slowly (like 2-3lbs a month since). But the last 2 months I've FINALLY hit the green zone and lost 10lbs each month!!! Being really tight scared me at first but now I love it!!!! I'm down around 80lbs, probably 90 at this point because my new clothes are starting to look dumpy, but I don't have a scale.

Most of the time I follow the guidelines and the spirit of the guidelines. Sometimes I don't. Last night we had Thai food and i got a Pad Thai. A noodle dish??? The horrors!!! But I picked out and mostly ate the chicken first and ended up having only a few bites of the noodles. Couldn't eat more than about 2/3 of a cup. Didn't count or measure. The band told me when to stop because I started burping. Again! Some people on here would probably call that cheating. I call it a huge success.

So my guidance to you is to just to cut yourself a break, and let the band do it's job. Follow the rules as best you can, but don't beat yourself up over your imperfections. You will be imperfect, this will be a long journey, but I KNOW you CAN be successful!!!!!

Look, the reality is that a few goldfish will not ruin your weight-loss attempts. chips did not wound you. So don't worry at all, you're fine!!!

This whole weight loss thing is a really really long journey. Some people are able to follow the rules right away, and their weight comes off quickly. Others are not able to follow as well and they have to get used to it and the weight comes off slower.

For me, I'm a food addict and the mental side of having the band has really been the hardest part. It's not easy to have your fix taken away... In the beginning, I had major mood swings, was depressed, angry, and I fought against it as hard as I could about 25% of the time. The other 75% of the time I followed the rules.

It took me about 8-10 months to stop panicking, and now, at 14 months post-op my weight-loss is in its highest gear yet!!!!! I've lost steadily since the beginning, a lot initially but slowly (like 2-3lbs a month since). But the last 2 months I've FINALLY hit the green zone and lost 10lbs each month!!! Being really tight scared me at first but now I love it!!!! I'm down around 80lbs, probably 90 at this point because my new clothes are starting to look dumpy, but I don't have a scale.

Most of the time I follow the guidelines and the spirit of the guidelines. Sometimes I don't. Last night we had Thai food and i got a Pad Thai. A noodle dish??? The horrors!!! But I picked out and mostly ate the chicken first and ended up having only a few bites of the noodles. Couldn't eat more than about 2/3 of a cup. Didn't count or measure. The band told me when to stop because I started burping. Again! Some people on here would probably call that cheating. I call it a huge success.

So my guidance to you is to just to cut yourself a break, and let the band do it's job. Follow the rules as best you can, but don't beat yourself up over your imperfections. You will be imperfect, this will be a long journey, but I KNOW you CAN be successful!!!!!

Totally agree. How fast you lose your weight is only partically up to the band and the rest up to you. So, forgive yourself and move on.

I didnt see the part where you asked everyone opinions about whether what you ate was healthy for you... must have missed that.

Anyways, I would not eat the chips and goldfish - not for caloric reasons BUT because you need to stick to your pre-op diet unless you doc says otherwise. Save yourself the pain it causes (I cheated and paid the price) it is honestly not worth it. I know you will have cravings and head hunger but you have to be strong right now. I dont think you have done any damage YET. Dont worry this time passes by quicker than you think. Hope everything goes well for you!

Look' date=' the reality is that a few goldfish will not ruin your weight-loss attempts. chips did not wound you. So don't worry at all, you're fine!!!

So my guidance to you is to just to cut yourself a break, and let the band do it's job. Follow the rules as best you can, but don't beat yourself up over your imperfections. You will be imperfect, this will be a long journey, but I KNOW you CAN be successful!!!!![/quote']

I really like and appreciate your outlook SashaWLS. I agree that a few chips and goldfish crackers are not going to sabotage weight loss efforts. I understand replies that show concern for following pre and post op directions. I get that. It's important. But we all need support and a lot of us, including myself, are here because we used food as a crutch. I had a slice of pizza for lunch a couple days ago. I'm on solid foods with no fill yet (coming up on 8/23) and I was not beating myself up. I had one slice instead of the usual 4. It's a journey and everyone is different. Congrats on your 20 lb loss! You're doing awesome.

I really like and appreciate your outlook SashaWLS. I agree that a few chips and goldfish crackers are not going to sabotage weight loss efforts. I understand replies that show concern for following pre and post op directions. I get that. It's important. But we all need support and a lot of us' date=' including myself, are here because we used food as a crutch. I had a slice of pizza for lunch a couple days ago. I'm on solid foods with no fill yet (coming up on 8/23) and I was not beating myself up. I had one slice instead of the usual 4. It's a journey and everyone is different. Congrats on your 20 lb loss! You're doing awesome.[/quote']

I struggled with this but see if you can occupy your day more until your filled. That sounds funny but the more you do the less you'd reach for the crutch. Also I pack healthy snack bags with foods if I do reach for something that won't ruin my hard work.

If on solids here are a few I learned to love...

Kale chips with ranch seasoning ( sounds gross but they r good if done yourself)

Snap peas and spray dressing (one calories one spray kind)

Hummus and wheat pita (I crisp myself as they have less calories)

sugar free Popsicles (budget saver better than blue bell or name brands)

Cottage cheese

Guess I'm just a prude! I have walked the strait and narrow! Following to the letter so far, but I'm sure you're fine I'd guess you'd had problems by now if you were going to! Best wishes for a continued recovery!