Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Is the pre-op diet a bit extreme?

I'm currently on the 5th day of pre-op liquid diet (down 16 pounds). Basically I can have 4-5 Protein shakes a day and 2 cups of vegetables. The shakes are making me gag with every sip, I haven't been able to finish any of them. No matter what brand, what flavor, I can't take these Protein Shakes. Yesterday I literally had 1 sip of a Protein shake (that I almost immediately threw up) , Water, and a cup of cooked Spinach.

Did anyone else have such a strict pre-op diet? What substitutes are there for the Protein Shakes?

I only had to do a 5 day pre-op diet consisting of 1 Protein Shake a day and the rest liquid. Are you buying pre-made shakes or you using powder and making your own? I use Body Fortress whey powder from Walmart. Blend a cup with milk and ice. Makes a good smoothy. From time to time I will do the same with vanilla powder and add in either strawberries or blueberries.

If I could blend fruit into my own I would, the only option I have is to buy powder and blend it with Water. I can't even have fruit. That's whats making it so hard.

I had a 2 week liquid only diet - no veggies, no solids of any kind. After day 3 it wasn't so bad for me.

I am using ISAGENIX whey Protein Shakes french vanilla and I love them. Great with fruit but that will be in a few weeks.

If I could blend fruit into my own I would, the only option I have is to buy powder and blend it with Water. I can't even have fruit. That's whats making it so hard.

Ugh, you have to make the shakes with Water? No wonder you can't stomach them! YUCK!

If I were you, I'd call your doctor's office and tell them flat out you're not drinking the Protein shakes because you can't stomach them. Ask if you can make them with skim milk, or almond milk, or blend a little fruit into them. Or, ask if you can find another brand with comparable Protein and calories that you can actually stomach.

They may tell you no and to suffer through it- it happens. But, it's worth a try.

Sorry to hear your having problems. I use only chocolate. I use the following: 8 oz FF milk, 1 scoop Protein Powder (Body Fortress), a little Decaf instant coffee (kills all flavors), a little peppermint extract and then tons of ice. It tastes super. I have been drinking these for 15 months for Breakfast and I am not sick of them at all. I have a small Hamilton Beach blender. After I put in everything I fill it with the ice. I use small ice cubes. Good luck.

I'm currently on the 5th day of pre-op liquid diet (down 16 pounds). Basically I can have 4-5 Protein shakes a day and 2 cups of vegetables. The shakes are making me gag with every sip, I haven't been able to finish any of them. No matter what brand, what flavor, I can't take these Protein Shakes. Yesterday I literally had 1 sip of a Protein shake (that I almost immediately threw up) , Water, and a cup of cooked Spinach.

Did anyone else have such a strict pre-op diet? What substitutes are there for the protein shakes?

Pre -op sucks for sure, I made my shakes more palpable by adding instant decafe coffee to them then they were like an iced coffee it also helped to drink them super cold . What brand are you drinking ?

They gave me a list of "approved Protein Drinks and powders" I settled with Muscle Milk light. These things are just atrocious. I can't add anything to them because it's so limited.

Honestly, the main point is to shrink fat around the liver. If it was me and I was loosing weight, I'd do it with whatever shakes/food I damn well wanted. I do think the pre-op diet is important even though some docs don't use it. I wonder if the docs that don't use it use different precautions for the liver area during surgery?

Your limiting yourself by sticking to what you don't like. Call the Dr. tell them these are not working for you and change it up.

They give you these lists as a guideline, as long as you are within the Protein and calorie set for your pre-op diet it doesn't matter what type of shake you use.

I use a Protein powder called Pro-Flex 20 and another called Attain, and mix them with Water and it's not an issue they are delicious.

If you want this to work you have to be flexible and find a way to make it work for you. You are going to be on and off Protein shakes for the duration, and not just during pre-op. If your finding this difficult it's about to get more so, find something that works for you and then make it work.

I used the Ensure high Protein, or I bought the powder and made smoothies. The whole point is to shrink your liver. As long as you do that, I don't think it matters which liver diet you actually follow. Mine was a shake for breakfast and lunch, then a light/diet meal for dinner. I made a blender full of smoothie in the morning and that usually did all three meals, but some days I did a lean cuisine or something for dinner. I had to stay around 800 calories and at least 60g protein. Otherwise, my doctor wasn't very strict about what I actually ingested. I'd ask the doctor's office and just flat out tell them you can't stand the shakes. Or, just find out your calorie limit and make some that you can stand.

I wonder if you've got some lactose intolerance going on. A lot of Protein powders are made with whey protein (a dairy product). You could try a soy or other veggy-based protein product (ask at a GNC or similar store). And/or call your surgeon's office, tell them the protein drinks are making you nauseated, and ask them for suggestions.

Fruity Protein Shots mixed in ice Water work well, too. Go to Walmart and get the Super Whey shots, grape or fruit punch, 20 - 42g Protein each. When I mix them in water, it's like drinking juice. I would also sneak in tuna packed in water...you've lost 16lbs aready, you're doing well...whose going to know you didn't follow all the rules. Just don't go overboard - no sugar, no fat.

Strict?.........mine was one WEEK of Clear Liquids only...no Protein, no salads, no veggies, etc. Basically ZERO calories....and I didn't cheat once. Hang in there. It could be worse. :)