Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

T-minus 14 days and I'm starting to freak out a bit!

I apologize in advance if this thread gets a bit graphic. I plan to regularly post post-op pics to show the good, the bad and the ugly! :blink: There aren't as many pre and post-op pictures of black people showing scarring, bruising, etc, so I hope others will find these useful. Pre-pics are a bit low res b/c they're from a webcam, but hopefully my surgeon will provide his copies afterwards.

I finally worked up the courage to schedule a brachioplasty and mastopexy. It's been dreadfully hot and humid in the DC area this summer and I'm tired of being too self-conscious to even wear short sleeves, much less the sleeveless ensembles everyone else seems to be enjoying. I find babydoll cut shirts are particularly obnoxious! I'm 29, black, 5'7", 177lbs (as of this morning).

Pre-Op Arm Pics:

Arm babydoll

arm1

arm2

I'm totally flexing in this one! lol but it helps show where the dangling skin is.

arm3

According to my surgeon, I still have enough breast tissue to be a large C or small D when he's finished. I really wanted implants, but I'll heed his advice to at least give them a chance. If I still want more volume and a better profile, I can always add them during my next surgery. I'll admit my boobs look great in a full coverage bra, but they have an amazing ability to escape their confines. Seriously, I'll bend over to put something into the oven, and by the time I stand up, half my boob has managed to ooze out of my bra! <_< Awkward.

Pre-op Boob Pics:

breast1 covered

breast2 covered

Well...there it all is! Now I'm busy scrambling and over-preparing for surgery. To those brave souls who have gone before me, in you post-surgery recovery did you use:

- Vitamedica Bromelain wth Quercetin Nutrients with Anti-Inflammatory Properties

- VitaMedica Arnica Montana

- Biotin

I'm going to ask my surgical staff, but I've read plastic surgery forums that have recommended them. Also, I live alone, so I'm hiring a nurse to stay with me for 2 days and someone to walk and feed my dog for a week.

Is there anything you wish you'd had on-hand for your recovery that you didn't? So far I've purchased:

- 2 long icepacks with sleeves

- bed/sleeping wedge

- 2 strapless dresses

- Protein drinks

- bathing washcloth wipes

- 2nd compression garment (surgery center provides first one)

- getting my hair braided so I don't have to worry about that!

Yes, I'm a bit of a psycho, OCD, over-preparer...

Upon the advice of the pre-op nurse, I've started taking a Multivitamin and Vitamin c twice a day. I'm also going to stop drinking alcohol today (well...tomorrow. lol).

Thanks for your help!

Congratulations on your weight loss and thanks for sharing. I wish you all the best in your upcoming surgeries!

Good luck my dear. Thanks for sharing..it makes me feel better to know that I'm not the only one with saggy breasts, arms, tummy. I plan on doing plastic surgery as well once I am at goal and my weight is stable for a while.

Black, white, purple, pink or green -- I REALLY admire your bravery in posting the before pics. As someone who really needs the same surgeries, but for various reasons will have to put it off for a while, I'm looking forward to following your journey! I have a good friend that will be having some lifts in October. I hope you both do well and am anxious to hear about the after effects. You do sound like someone that is extremely prepared and I wish you the best!!

Yay!! 14 days!! I look very similar to you (just a tad bit lighter :) ) And I just had my 3 week post op appointment today!! YAY! Everything is great!! My scars look good. I was told that I could stop wearing the compression sleeves but I am not sure I like the way my arms feel without them. I have to stay in a soft full support bra for another couple of weeks. Then after the 6 week mark I can wear any type I like. I started to get feeling back (A little) in my arms but still a long way to go. Over all I feel good. I did take a pill for the swelling but I can not remember what it was and the PS gave it to me at my post op. The ice was a wonderful the first couple of days and so where LOTS of pillows. Keeping my arm up all night seemed to really help. I just have to let me dogs out into a yard but I was up and doing well after day 2. The drains freaked my out a bit but I had them out on days 3 (thank god!) I could totally dress myself and shower if I needed to, having the help was nice but not totally nessary. I quiet smoking a month out and I drank a little in the few weeks up to surgery. I also drank A LOT of Water right before so my skin would be nice a hydrated ( not sure it helped but it made me feel better!) Keep us updated!

AND ..... I did not have implants and my boobs look great. I was a 38DD (I have a picture in my album) and I too look great in a full coverage bra. I am now a 38D - after swelling from Lipo done on my sides goes down I should be a 36 D. I am wearing 38 D . I am totally happy I did not do implants.

@ Kirsten - lol. We do look similar, so I hope my results turn out as great as yours! I'm a 36DDD now, so we'll see what I'm left with at the end!

@ gowalking - yeah...this is only phase 1. The next phase will be an inner & outer thigh and butt lift. I want a Tummy Tuck too, but I haven't had children yet so I'm trying to put that off as long as possible!

Janiece, it sounds like you're really prepared! You'll do great! Thanks for posting your pictures. I can't wait to see your after results.

My surgery (TT with anchor incision, mons lift, breast lift with implants, arm lift, Lipo on thighs) has not been very painful but the arms have been the most painful part. I think that is at least in part because you're always moving them. My movement is still restricted somewhat. It makes washing my back difficult, well impossible. So just be careful with the arms and don't over-stretch too soon.

I envy you gals who don't need implants. There was almost nothing left but skin in my breasts. The doctor put 550 cc implants in me and I'm really happy with the results. I asked to be a full D and I am probably a DD right now due to swelling.

I'll be watching your thread for further updates!

T-minus 7 days!!! I'm not as nervous as I expected...but I'm sure I won't get any sleep at all next Monday night! I've been reading Kathy and Kirsten's posts religiously. Thank you ladies so much for posting your journeys! Just think: this time next year, we should be mostly healed and we'll have to buy a whole new summer wardrobe! :D I hope to pay off this surgery and be ready for phase 2 next fall.

It is funny, nothing fits or looks the same now and I am not even a month out!! I am in the same $$ boat as you. I hope to have this all paid for so I can get my thighs done and Tummy Tuck. But for right now I am happy. I have never seen my boobs and arms look so good. I almost don't know what to do!!! I can not wait to for you have your surgery too!!! xoxo :)

Omg, time has flown! I'll be wheeled into surgery in less than 12 hours!

Keeping you in my thoughts and prayers today! Post as soon as you can after you're done!

Kathy

How did it go?????

Thank you Kathy!

They wheeled me into prep at 9 and I was back in my hotel room around 1:30pm. I'm surprised at good I feel! I don't want to jinx it though! It kinda stings under my boobs and in my armpits a bit, but it's not bad at all. I totally lucked out and they didn't use any drains. I'm SO happy because that part creeped me out the most!

I tried to go for a walk around the hotel after taking my last pain pill and I think I over-exerted myself a bit. I got really hot and everything was too bright, so my parents took me back to the room. I'm so glad they could come up for a few days and I didn't have to pay a nurse, The quotes for "home care" are outrageous! We're basically just talking, watching movies...and occasionally arguing about what time I should take which medicine again... <_<

Here are a few pics. Not much to see. lol. There is a bit of blood oozing through under both arms but the nurse said it's fine as long as it doesn't get larger.

2013/8/27 - a few hours post-op1

2013/8/27 - a few hours post-op2

2013/8/27 - a few hours post-op3