Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am 7 months post op and have had as much as 3cc in my band. I am now back down to nearly being empty again. After an adjustment things seem to go great for about 3 weeks and for no apparent reason I start having trouble swallowing anything. So my doctor takes the Fluid out and we start again. Is this something other patients are experiencing as well? I'm so frustrated.

My doctor never really gave me a visual on the size of the bite, he just said small bites and chew chew chew. Looking at the size of the bite you posted I know I am taking much bigger bites and now I'm freaked out. I have an appt tomorrow and this is what I will be discussing. I've only had one fill, still technically in bandster hell, so don't really feel any restriction whatsoever. I can basically eat like I was before - is this normal??

I tend to use a baby spoon, it definitely helps. And lately (I'm 3 yrs out) I am much more aware of my chewing and making sure at least 20 times.

My nutritionist (who was banded years ago) said that I should get a baby spoon/fork, take a small baby bite, put my fork down, chew chew chew, swollow, then repeat. She said a half a cup should take 20-30 minutes. Bite, chew (30 seconds), rest (30 seconds) = 1 minute. 20 bites = 20 minutes. 30 bites = 30 minutes. I haven't had my first fill yet - but from what it sounds like, I'm NOT looking forward to this learning curve.

I use a toddler spoon and my bites are about 1/2 to one full dime size. My first fill was 11/2 weeks ago (5cc's) and my Dr. Said fluids for 2-3 days then regular diet. I just yesterday was able to keep down soft foods without pb'ing. My first post fill stuck episode was a scrambled egg. I was so hungry and was eating too quickly and learned my lesson just as quickly! Slow down and smaller bites... It's not as fun tasting it twice!

Thanks for all the help guys. With all the small bites and chewing should I be able to eat latge amounts of food/ For instance, yesterday my Wife cooked pork chops, corn on the cob, green Beans, corn bread, and mac and cheese. I was able to finish all of it, I took small bites and chewed the crap out of it and didnt have any trouble eating it. But I thought with the band that my portion size would be dramatically smaller but this is not the case so far. Does the smaller portions come when I hit the green zone or what?

Hi BigOBoy!

You made me crack up! Lol

First, I think that the idea of eating small bites and chewing a lot is to prevent stuck episodes.

Second, I do not think you should be eating all that food, just because you could. Obviously, you are not in the green zone, and neither am I, but the difference is that I have Portion Control. I control how much I eat even though I'm not in the green zone and I could eat large amounts of anything.

I am thankful for this forum and everyone, including you, because we need to learn from each other.

I think that being in the yellow zone is like being in bandster hell. Please try your best to eat small portions. I use the tiniest bowl In the house. It does not hold more than 1 1/2-2 cups of food. In addition, since being banded almost six weeks ago, I have never cheated with any bad foods. It's already hard enough for me to lose weight. I refuse to let myself jeopardize the purpose for getting banded. You should do the same. Good luck.

To make things more confusing, I read that chewing too much is not good either. You don't want to turn your food into mush or it will clear the band too fast......is this true??

To make things more confusing' date=' I read that chewing too much is not good either. You don't want to turn your food into mush or it will clear the band too fast......is this true??[/quote']

I was told chew to applesauce consistency.

Thanks for all the help guys. With all the small bites and chewing should I be able to eat latge amounts of food/ For instance' date=' yesterday my Wife cooked pork chops, corn on the cob, green Beans, corn bread, and mac and cheese. I was able to finish all of it, I took small bites and chewed the crap out of it and didnt have any trouble eating it. But I thought with the band that my portion size would be dramatically smaller but this is not the case so far. Does the smaller portions come when I hit the green zone or what?[/quote']

YOU control portions! Portions are supposed to be 4 oz OR 1/2 cup.

You fill 1/2 cup (level, not heaping) with your entire meal (thats your portion), and when it's gone, your finished!

N2win

I don't think that 1/2 cup of food is enough for ANYBODY. That might only work for those in the green zone and people with good restriction. I know, because I could never just eat 1/2 cup of food. Most threads that I read, people talk about 1-1 1/2 cup of food, but I have never heard anybody say 1/2.

N2win

I don't think that 1/2 cup of food is enough for ANYBODY. That might only work for those in the green zone and people with good restriction. I know' date=' because I could never just eat 1/2 cup of food. Most threads that I read, people talk about 1-1 1/2 cup of food, but I have never heard anybody say 1/2.[/quote']

I eat a cup of food easily. Not in the green zone yet

As a "big boy" myself, you have to balance a new way of eating (small bites, eating slowly, no drinking, etc) with a HEALTHY amount of calories for a full grown guy. I work with 2 nutritionists - one at True Results and one at my gym. We've settled in on 1800 calories. If I stay at that I lose (70 pounds since May 28). If I go below or much above I don't. Now calories are individual - I'm 6'1" so not a small guy - so you need to work it out with your surgeon.

As far as being able to eat the pork chops, etc - you are still early enough that obviously you CAN eat that meal, you just SHOULD not. Calorie wise the Mac n cheese (one of my favs) is probably 400-500 calories for a small portion. My Fitness Pal has been a god send as it helps me keep my calories in line, and also make sure I'm getting at least 80 grams solid Protein.

It is hard. I too don't yet have the benefit of the band controlling my appetite. It's taking a TON of willpower right now as I build up my band. I'm hoping that the point that my willpower typically gives out intersects with getting my band somewhere in the green zone.

You can do it. We all can.