Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

My story starts in July of 2010. I received my Lap-Band on the 23rd. My surgery was performed by Gerald Kirshenbaum in Denver, Colorado. He said it went well after the surgery but mentioned that my liver was lacerated during retraction and he had to repair a hiatal hernia. He felt that the laceration was no big deal because it stopped bleeding before he ended.

Fast forward 8 weeks and 20 pounds less. I started having stomach cramps, vomiting and body aches. Dr. K's office felt I was having after effects of having food stuck. It lasted five days before I couldn't take the cramps and went to the ER. After blood work and CT scan I was sent home with no diagnosis except for a slightly elevated white blood count. My Lap-Band looked to be in place.

The next week I continued to feel horrible. Went back to Dr.K and he prescribed antibiotics for elevated white blood count. After four days I went to my general practitioner because I figured I must have that damn swine flu. He gave me a shot for the pain and said I should feel better in about four hours. After five hours I felt so much worse that I ended up in the ER again. They did new blood work and my d-Dimer was elevated so they did an ultrasound looking for a bloodclot. None was found. They sent me home around midnight with no answers.

The next day my symptoms worsened. I had a fever of 104.3 and was retching violently. I lost consciousness for a period of time and when I awoke my lips were blue. This resulted in another trip to a different emergency room. When I got there my BP was 80/50 and in severe pain. They quickly diagnosed me with Septicemia (also known as Sepsis). After taking a new CT scan they decided I had air or Fluid around my liver. The ER doctor started an Internal Jugular central venous line and started aggressively treating me with multiple antibiotics. My life was on the line.

I live in Colorado Springs. I was transported by Flight for Life to a hospital in Denver where my lapband surgeon was located. When I arrived they wanted to go in laparoscopically to explore my liver situation and check my lapband but my blood pressure was so low that I was unstable. They put me in ICU for a blood transfusion and platelet expansion to hopefully stabilize me. My kidneys were starting to fail.

The next morning they wheeled me down to the OR but my blood pressure was too low to use laparoscope so they had to cut me open from chest to naval. I was so full of infection that it was pressing on my organs and that was what was causing my pain. He found the infection under my liver cleaned it up and placed a drain. While in there he also removed my lapband.

I was put into a medically induced coma for two days with my family receiving a 50/50 chance of survival. When my organs started rebounding they brought me out while still having a respirator placed to help me breathe. After my body proving to them it could breathe on its own, they removed the respirator. I spent the next 10 days in ICU and CCU recovering my health.

I was sent home with a picc line for six weeks of IV antibiotics to be given up to four times a day. After a few weeks I was diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs resulting in having one tapped for the extraction of Fluid.

What a mess this all was! I can't explain what I went though physically, emotionally and financially.

I'm not telling you this story to scare you or make you change your mind. But I just want you to know that not everybody's outcome is a success. When they tell you there are risks..you should believe them!

My story starts in July of 2010. I received my Lap-Band on the 23rd. My surgery was performed by Gerald Kirshenbaum in Denver' date=' Colorado. He said it went well after the surgery but mentioned that my liver was lacerated during retraction and he had to repair a hiatal hernia. He felt that the laceration was no big deal because it stopped bleeding before he ended.

Fast forward 8 weeks and 20 pounds less. I started having stomach cramps, vomiting and body aches. Dr. K's office felt I was having after effects of having food stuck. It lasted five days before I couldn't take the cramps and went to the ER. After blood work and CT scan I was sent home with no diagnosis except for a slightly elevated white blood count. My Lap-Band looked to be in place.

The next week I continued to feel horrible. Went back to Dr.K and he prescribed antibiotics for elevated white blood count. After four days I went to my general practitioner because I figured I must have that damn swine flu. He gave me a shot for the pain and said I should feel better in about four hours. After five hours I felt so much worse that I ended up in the ER again. They did new blood work and my d-Dimer was elevated so they did an ultrasound looking for a bloodclot. None was found. They sent me home around midnight with no answers.

The next day my symptoms worsened. I had a fever of 104.3 and was retching violently. I lost consciousness for a period of time and when I awoke my lips were blue. This resulted in another trip to a different emergency room. When I got there my BP was 80/50 and in severe pain. They quickly diagnosed me with Septicemia (also known as Sepsis). After taking a new CT scan they decided I had air or Fluid around my liver. The ER doctor started an Internal Jugular central venous line and started aggressively treating me with multiple antibiotics. My life was on the line.

I live in Colorado Springs. I was transported by Flight for Life to a hospital in Denver where my lapband surgeon was located. When I arrived they wanted to go in laparoscopically to explore my liver situation and check my lapband but my blood pressure was so low that I was unstable. They put me in ICU for a blood transfusion and platelet expansion to hopefully stabilize me. My kidneys were starting to fail.

The next morning they wheeled me down to the OR but my blood pressure was too low to use laparoscope so they had to cut me open from chest to naval. I was so full of infection that it was pressing on my organs and that was what was causing my pain. He found the infection under my liver cleaned it up and placed a drain. While in there he also removed my lapband.

I was put into a medically induced coma for two days with my family receiving a 50/50 chance of survival. When my organs started rebounding they brought me out while still having a respirator placed to help me breathe. After my body proving to them it could breathe on its own, they removed the respirator. I spent the next 10 days in ICU and CCU recovering my health.

I was sent home with a picc line for six weeks of IV antibiotics to be given up to four times a day. After a few weeks I was diagnosed with pneumonia in both lungs resulting in having one tapped for the extraction of Fluid.< /p>

What a mess this all was! I can't explain what I went though physically, emotionally and financially.

I'm not telling you this story to scare you or make you change your mind. But I just want you to know that not everybody's outcome is a success. When they tell you there are risks..you should believe them![/quote']

Sorry to hear about this. Very happy you made it. It seems your doctor screwed up in the OR and never should have sent you home.

Be well

Wow that's a horrible, terrifying experience. I'm so very sorry.

One thing I do think is important to point out- your near death experience had nothing to with the Lap Band. It was caused by your surgeon's repeated errors, starting with cutting your liver during surgery and missing the warning signs after.

Best wishes

Wow that's a horrible, terrifying experience. I'm so very sorry.

One thing I do think is important to point out- your near death experience had nothing to with the Lap Band. It was caused by your surgeon's repeated errors, starting with cutting your liver during surgery and missing the warning signs after.

Best wishes

YES, that is why it is titled '...with the Lap-Band' instead of '...from the Lap-Band'

I am sorry for your pain and suffering, but as Mis73 stated it was caused by your physicians error and not the band itself.

The lap-band itself is a proven tool in the fight to loose weight...however my advice to ANYONE and EVERYONE considering this surgery is do your homework...check out SEVERAL doctors before making your decision. Given the choice, I would chose a surgeon who specializes in bariatric surgery (not all do). Then consider the risks of the surgery vs not having the surgery...For me the risks to my health and indeed my life if I did not do something about my weight, were greater than the risks associated with the surgery. And last but maybe most importantly ASK QUESTIONS? If the physician or his staff can't or won't answer your questions, you should consider finding a different surgeon.

I am sorry for your pain and suffering, but as Mis73 stated it was caused by your physicians error and not the band itself.

The lap-band itself is a proven tool in the fight to loose weight...however my advice to ANYONE and EVERYONE considering this surgery is do your homework...check out SEVERAL doctors before making your decision. Given the choice, I would chose a surgeon who specializes in bariatric surgery (not all do). Then consider the risks of the surgery vs not having the surgery...For me the risks to my health and indeed my life if I did not do something about my weight, were greater than the risks associated with the surgery. And last but maybe most importantly ASK QUESTIONS? If the physician or his staff can't or won't answer your questions, you should consider finding a different surgeon.

Couldn't have said it better myself! BUT, what I want people to know is that I did all that. My bariatric surgeon had a perfect track record! It doesn't matter...other things can happen. Check him out on this website.

Why can't somebody come on here and state their experience? There are plenty of successful stories on here. I just want people to KNOW THERE ARE RISKS!

Couldn't have said it better myself! BUT' date=' what I want people to know is that I did all that. My bariatric surgeon had a perfect track record! It doesn't matter...other things can happen. Check him out on this website.

Why can't somebody come on here and state their experience? There are plenty of successful stories on here. I just want people to KNOW THERE ARE RISKS![/quote']

No one is saying you can't share your story. In fact, I think it's important for people to realize the risks go way beyond the band itself. You're proof that even the best surgeons are only human and make mistakes.

I only pointed out it wasn't the band that caused it because the title of the thread made it sound like it was. That's all.

I was fully aware of the risks when I went into surgery. I'm really sorry you had to go through all that stress. Did they remove your band due to these problems or are you still banded? I wish you well and pray your complications are over for good.

Wow! I appreciate your honesty; your story is relevant to this forum and I think you are a remarkable person for experiencing all those complications / near death experiences and being able to disclose it.

I am SO very sorry you have gone through such trauma.

I'm glad you are okay and made it through in one piece. I, too, came out of surgery damaged due to surgical error. It's a hard recovery process. I'm glad you shared your story. I wish you the very best.

What a horrible experience for you! Thank you for sharing you story. If it makes even one person think twice and look at the risks (and benefits), then that's a good outcome. I hope you're doing well now.

I am truly sorry that you almost lost your life.

For me the risks involved with the surgery were worth the benefits that I am currently enjoying.

My mother died at an early age, my grand parents died much to soon all due to diabetics, obesity, and other weight related problems.

Having spent a year researching the procedure I made an informed objective choice. My surgeon originally suggested the Gastric Sleeve but I did not want to go down that road.

He informed me that with the lap band or the sleeve that I would need to be entirely committed to a new healthy lifestyle and focus MY efforts on Portion Control and maintaining a consistent fitness program.

wow, def sounds like your dr and (not the band) was to blame via what you wrote

sorry you had to go through this....