Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

PS and the Domino Effect

Hello all,

I am approaching my 2-year bandiversary. My highest weight was 330. Today, at 5'8", I am at my goal of 165. Woo hooo!!

On December 8th of 2005, I had an abdominoplasty and a bi-lateral mastopexy with augmentation. It was an 11 hour surgery. I have healed wonderfully from the PS and I can only marvel at life without a stomach that hangs down to my thighs and boobs that hang down to my navel. I didn't find recovery to be that painful or difficult.

HOWEVER, this surgery set into motion a series of health issues that I am still combating to this day (6 mos later). First, due to the Fluid that my body retained after surgery, my stomach tissue became swollen. My band got too tight, my stoma got irritated and I became completely obstructed. I ended up in the hospital on I.V. hydration and a barium swallow study showed my band had migrated and that my pouch had a dilitation. I had to go on 6 weeks of fluids. Even though the migration was resolved (Thank you, God!), we are still battling my adjustment level. 10th's of cc's make the difference between too tight and too loose. (I'm at 0.15 cc's in a 4cc inamed band)

I also developed a raging sleep disorder after 11 hours under anesthesia. I can get to sleep just fine, I just can't stay asleep. Most nights, I get about 5 hours of sleep. I am a VERY high energy person. 5 hours is not enough. I crash about halfway through the afternoon. So, my PCP has worked with me trying every sleep strategy and sleep medication known to man. Nothing has helped me get more than 6 hours of sleep per night.

Between the anesthesia, the migration, the grey New York winter (I'm a Georgia girl), the liquid diet and the sleep disorder, I developed major depressive disorder (single episode) and am on an SSRI. Fortunately, the medication resolved the depressive symptoms. But, for a few weeks I was sliding down a hole that I didn't know I could ever climb out of.

NOW I am struggling with what may be a partial bowel obstruction, adhesions or an illius. I have a full abdominal CT scan on Wednesday to determine if any of those conditions explain why I am in pain 30 minutes after I eat in an area below my navel.

The plastic surgery went fine. The dominos that keep coming down are about to drive me crazy. I'm 44 years old and feel like I have "lost" the last 6 months of my life. I've gone from doctor to doctor, and as much as I adore my team of physicians, I grow weary of being "the patient." This whole episode has had ramifications in my personal life, my spiritual life, my married life, and my work life. Being sick and tired all the time puts a strain on all of those relationships.

So, I thought I would write and share my experience. I truly believe that I am on the road to recovery... it just seems that road is much longer than I ever expected it would be!

Wow, I'm sorry to hear that you're going through such a difficult time. I wish you the best and hope that things get better very soon. :)

Wow Julie. I'm sooo glad you posted this perspective and I'm wishing you all the best! I know you will make it through.

LaMadam had a bowel obstruction, maybe you can PM her? I know she'd be happy to talk with you.

Please keep us posted on your MRI. I would love to know how all this turns out. And you KNOW we want to see pics! Pics please! Oh yeah!

Hang in there, lady. God bless!

Julie, what incredible weight loss! You really did it! So sorry to hear of the "domino effect" after surgery. I bet that was a real surprise to think, "I've lost the weight, perked up the body, then BAMM PROBLEMS."

Sounds like you've gone through an ordeal. Hope you feel better soon. Being a patient does get old...

Shawn

Gosh..... this is scary stuff!!!! I'm thinking of checking in to have some PS done but after reading this I'm shaking in my bat wings I mean skin!!! LOL!!!! I really need a Tummy Tuck and my arms done for sure!!

Seroiously this is something that most people don't think will ever turn into something so hard on your health.Thanks for sharing and keep us posted . I sure hope in the end it will be all worth it for you....you are such an inspiration to the rest of us !!!!

Sounds like maybe too long under Anesthesia is not a good idea... at least the sleep disorder might have been avoided.

Sorry you are having these problems now - after working so hard to get to goal. Hugs! And good luck with your continued healing. Hopefully it will be smooth sailing in the future for you!

Julie, wow, what a story! Thanks so much for sharing. You've articulated a lot of my fears about surgery; stories like this are one reason I am not at all leaning toward plastic surgery no matter how saggy my skin is.

Big hugs and strong vibes for complete and total healing!! :hug:

Congratulations on making it to goal and I'm sorry to hear that your PS set off a chain reaction of bad events. I hope you'll soon have answers and be on the road to recovery.

Thank you all for your kind responses. This whole scenario was a wake up call for me. I went into the PS being well aware of the "typical" complications that I could expect. However, I had no idea that my band would impacted along with all the other things that followed.

Frankly, I can't answer the question "Would you do it all over again?" right now. Hind sight is 20/20. We could have taken the Fluid out of my band BEFORE my surgery had we known I was going to get so tight. Maybe I would have done one procedure at a time to be under anesthesia for a shorter period of time. But, now I know... I know the things that MY body is sensitive to. MANY, MANY people go through these kinds of things without one iota of a problem. I was SURE I would be one of those people.

Fortunately, I have not lost my natural optimism. I know that things are going to be okay. It's just that my issues are not like a broken leg when they can tell me that my cast will come off on "x" date. There is a nebulous ending, and I'm always better with a PLAN! hehe.

Thanks for all your support and encouragement. The band has been a miracle in my life. With the band there is NO question whether I'd do it again. IN A HEARTBEAT!!!!!

You sound like despite your troubles you are not letting anything cloud the triump you've enjoyed! You've done so so well.

But its a good reminder that plastic surgery is not just any old thing to be taken lightly, a nip here and a tuck there. So warranted in terms of many people who''ve lost large amoungs of weight but major surgery all the same.

I hope you recover well and quickly from hereon in, you must be champing at the bit to get out and enjoy life with your new body.

Julie you really have a great outlook on all this. Its good to see you post the things you would change about your ps. My motto has been do it all at once and get it over with...but now I see that this isn't the best way... I guess I should rethink and have some of my ps done seperatly.Hang in there and keep posting for those of us looking in to ps it sounds like a drastic process to go through!!! Good luck!

Good for you Julie, and I love your new avatar!

Hey, thanks for the affirmation on the avatar! I am a public speaker and I also write articles for a professional magazine. So, I needed a good head shot to in conference brochures and next to my articles. It was tough picking out the "right" one. I wanted the picture to invoke, "Hey, I'd really like to go to that lady's workshop." Or, "She's not SO stuffy... let me see what her article says." lol

But... I digress.

Thank you!

Julie you really have a great outlook on all this. Its good to see you post the things you would change about your ps. My motto has been do it all at once and get it over with...but now I see that this isn't the best way... I guess I should rethink and have some of my ps done seperatly.Hang in there and keep posting for those of us looking in to ps it sounds like a drastic process to go through!!! Good luck!

Hi ya! I think the major thing is that I would encourage ANY bandster to have a discussion with their bariatric surgeon about having the Fluid removed from their band before ANY abdominal surgery. This would especially apply to those of us ladies who have "monthly" tightness. You see, I KNEW that pre menstrual weight gain made me tight. I just didn't transfer the knowledge to Fluid retention after major abdominal surgery. (I coulda had a V-8! :faint:)

My program (in Cooperstown, NY) has had a lot to learn from me! I am one of their very earliest band patients, and the first band patient to reach a normal BMI. I am also the first band patient at a normal weight to undergo reconstructive surgery. We learned, alright! lol

I have a friend who is going to have a hysterectomy this week. She is one who has struggled with monthly tightness with her band. So, based on my experience, she went to our bariatric surgeon and asked him to remove the fluid in her band in an attempt to avoid excessive swelling and tightness after her surgery. I think she is very wise woman.

Okay... I've rattled on enough now! Thank you all, again, for your marvelous support. I just LOVE bandsters!!!

I'm living a Domino Effect too. I had an Abdominoplasty just a few months back, and now I am having more surgery.

... We could have taken the Fluid out of my band BEFORE my surgery had we known I was going to get so tight. Maybe I would have done one procedure at a time to be under anesthesia for a shorter period of time.

My Cosmetic Surgeon works closely with a LapBand surgeon, and has worked on a lot of LapBand patients - that was a big comfort point to me. However he was absolutely firm on not having me 'unfill' because he's seen enough LapBand patients tighten up and then 'sweat off' a bit of fill after surgery. Plus even though he barely nudges the band during the surgery, he says most patients fill a bit of tightened restriction after a Tuck. I did fill VERY restricted after surgery, and afterwards I got a the 'sweat off' as I went from over 2.8 fill to a measly 1.7 or so within 6 wks of my abdominoplasty. Go figure! Glad I didn't unfill though because after the tightening eased up, I found myself feeling barely any restriction. I could really eat! I'm just getting back to my pre-op fill level, thankfully.

As for the dual procedures, I also planned on having a Mastoplexy ("Boob Lift") at the same time, but my doc felt that it was a lot to put the body through. He said I could just get the Lift later, since I also planned on some getting some Lipo later on, too. He thinks Boob Lifts and Lipo pair better surgically than Boob Lifts with Tummy Tucks do - of course this is just one surgeon's take on it.

But, now I know... I know the things that MY body is sensitive to. MANY, MANY people go through these kinds of things

I feel like I'll discourage others from Cosmetic Surgery. We should not shrink from it. After losing significant weight, there is some sagging that no amount of dieting and exercise will correct. I needed an Abdominoplasty to get rid of the excess skin around my middle, and it was going away in the gym. My recovery from the Abdominoplasty went decently enough (although I was a swelling/bloating machine, and my Professionally-Fat body went into overdrive to replace those missing fat & abdominal cells within days after surgery) but my plastic surgeon discovered an enlarged uterus which it turns out was housing a big hidden fibroid. So now I'm going in for a fibroid-removal surgery in a few days - meaning that the money and leave time that I'd earmarked for my Boob Lift & Lipo now goes to an unpleasant gynecological procedure. I don't regret my Abdominoplasty for one minute but then I sometimes tell myself that if I hadn't had the Tummy Tuck, they would have never found the Fibroid. Isn't that crazy? But it's absolutely how I feel.

So in my case, one procedure led to another - but it was not due to ANY type of plastic surgery complication. I'm crossing my fingers for a successful fibroid surgery.

Best of Luck and continued success on your recovery, Julie.

And Happy Band (and Life) Journeys To All...