Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Any Night Shift Nurses?

I'm a hospice nurse and have recently gone from day shift to nights and my whole world has been turned upside down! I work 12 hour shifts 3-4 days a week and I sit (literally - for the majority of my shift) with patients who are terminally ill. The extent of my "work" is administering medications, turning and repositioning my patients, providing incontinent care, and giving bed baths. However, we all know that doesn't take 12 hours to do. Everyone else's day is my night, so I sleep during the day and then I'm up all night.

I've noticed that I'm not losing any more weight (thank God I haven't started gaining) as I rarely have time for exercise anymore. I feel sluggish like my metabolism has up and left me. I'm super frustrated, especially since I'm 25 lbs. from my goal. If I work out after work in the morning, I can't sleep, and if I work out before work, I have to cut into my sleep time and I'm supposed to be watching my patient rest, not the other way around - lol.

Does anyone have any REALISTIC advice that won't interfere with me getting adequate rest to pull 12 hour all nighters? Thanks.

I dont work 3rd.. but i am a 1st shifter sometimes second before i was banded... one thing i read someplace forever ago is that people who work over night should act as if they are still working during the day... breaky lunch dinner working out.. etc dont skip meals or activity..also maybe you could ask your patients if they would mind if you used their tv and dvd player for a bit and bring a workout video like zumba,. yes you'll sweat but that's why they have wipes!

I'm not a nurse, but I've worked rotating shiftwork for about 20 years. The last 10 have been 12 hour shifts. Two weeks of days then two weeks of nights....so I know some of your concerns.

Night shifts are usually/hopefully pretty boring here....so the desire to be snacking/grazing is more significant for me then. .

As far as exercising...PLEASE don't take this the wrong way, but as the truth/reality, from my experience. If we CHOOSE to make exercise a part of our weighloss journey and lifestyle, we WILL. If we don't choose to....there will be plenty of excuses available. I'm not being critical, just speaking from experience...I started at 324 lbs.

About 18 months or so ago I decided I couldn't "exercise" only when it was convienient. It had to become a part of my life, a priority. I used to think...What if it interfere's with my life? Where will I find the time?, etc, etc....all the excuses I'd used to get me to 324#'s. So I cancelled my gym membership (that I wasted money on every month because I always found those excuses) ....and found what I enjoyed and would stick to.

Now...my "exercise" is a priority, BECAUSE I ENJOY IT.

Doesn't really matter what you choose, just DO IT and get that heart rate going, CARDIO! I read the same experience from folks who do various different things. Running, Walking, Cycling, Zumba, Swimming, etc, etc,etc.

You can read back on here from some super successful folks about how they feel almost an out of body experience when they are exercising. Its amazingly addicting when you find what you enjoy. And the benefits.....

You can read back on here from some super successful folks about how they feel almost an out of body experience when they are exercising. Its amazingly addicting when you find what you enjoy. And the benefits.....

Absolutely 100% agree!! Even if you work out 30 minutes per day, I promise you WILL feel better!

Thanks for the support and suggestions everyone. I guess I wasn't clear on the subject of exercise. I used to exercise regularly when I was working days. It's when I switched to nights that my entire life turned upside down. I've tried waking up an hour early to exercise before I have to start getting ready for work and paid for it during my shift when I nearly fell asleep when I was with a dying patient. When I've worked out in the morning before going to bed, I'm so wired that I can't fall asleep and I have to fight to stay awake when I'm with my patient. As far as asking the families if they mind me working out when I should be keeping their dying loved one comfortable...I just don't think that would be appropriate. Guess it's back to the drawing board...I'll figure something out.