Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Barium Meal results & GERD - What does it mean?

Hi all

I hope someone could please help me. I have had my lapband since 2007 - I have had 4 reconstructive surgeries since my first lap band surgery. First was because my port had disconnected from the band, 2nd was for a port flipping and 3rd was the same again and my last surgery was for re-positioning of the port itself from the lower right side of my abdomen to the middle of my chest (between my breasts) and I had a upgraded port inserted (apparently more durable but lighter?) all at the request from my surgeon (I changed surgeons after my 3rd Op). I have not had great results with my band and I regret the surgery 100% although I am not prepared to give up hope just yet and I am trying to keep faith in the lap band and I am doing my best to work with it.

HOWEVER I hadn't had a fill for a long time as after my last surgery I thought I had finally found my 'green zone' weight was not dropping off significantly but I was steady and had no problems. Until April last year, I had horrific acid reflux (never had in the past) and vomiting and nausea. I went to my GP as my Surgeon is based 3 hrs away from me and my GP ordered a Barium Meal. I have since seen my surgeon and he prescribed me Losec (Omeprazole) and unfilled me entirely. The reflux went away, not completely but it was so much better. So naturally I tried to be good and restrain myself to not over eat as I had no restriction, I did okay but then the weight creep back up - I went back to my surgeon for a fill and it was a whole ml, it was too much so I had half taken out and it felt better and this was 4 months ago.

Present day and the reflux is back (I am still taking Losec), I have awful bloating, especially on the upper right side of my abdomen and I vomit every now and then if the acid gets to much and I have pain ping me even when I have a empty stomach and at random times, when I eat I feel the food stop and then 'dump' into my stomach, I don't know how else to describe it. ANywho I requested a copy of my Barium Meal results from last year which reads:

"There is mild hold-up only at the level of the lapband which is positioned proximally just distal to the lower oseophageal sphincter. Significant associated gastro-oesophageal reflux. "

So question is - WTF does that all mean??? I asked my surgeon about it but he said its all okay just reflux??? I realize it means I have bad GERD but is my lapband positioned okay? And should I ask for further testing? I have also have had alot of blood work done at the request of my Dr because they keep showing high levels of CRP (Infection, Inflammation or something else) I am worried that the high CRP levels are related to something wrong with my band. PLEASE HELP - If anyone has any advice of what I should do or have had similar experiences I would love to hear from you

It sounds like your band is still too tight for some reason so you still have reflux.

Have any of these doctors bothered to check your gallbladder and appendics?

High CRP levels mean something is wrong aside from band issues. I'm no doctor, but it makes me wonder if your band problems aren't secondary to some medical issue causing the high CRP levels.

This definitely needs to be followed up on.

It might help to check on the medications you are taking. There are some medications that relax the sphincter muscle in the esophagus and actually cause acid reflux.

You might also want to check with your PCP and maybe follow up with a gastro-enterologist. Definitely follow up though so you don't have any damage that can't be corrected.

Hope you feel better soon!

Are you walking? Eat only 1/2 meal & walk, walk & walk. Breath deep & relax. Emotions & tense body do something too. My Dr is clear across the State, and is a day of travel, so I try to do some things myself before running to the bariatric center. Good going. . .don't give up! :wub:

From my understanding of how the lap-band works is that it creates a pouch and food 'hangs out' awhile after you eat. Sounds like the positioning is ok. While the food is hanging out it sounds like your LES (lower esophageal sphincter) is relaxing and opening and that is causing reflux. The LES is suppose to stay closed unless you are laying down and then it automatically relaxes and opens up which is why you don't lay down or recline after eating. For people with GERD for whatever reason the LES muscle is weak and opens up when it's not suppose to causing food/acid to push back up the esophagus. Your GERD is most likely not caused by the band but aggrevated by it for sure. Maybe try a different medication? Also caffeine, nicotine, chocolate, spicy foods, alcohol makes it worse. I usually deal with the neck up but have a lot of clients who have GERD. Hope this helps!!

Amazing, i just got the results from my upper GI and it says the same thing: intermittent gastroesophageal reflux without hiatal hernia. My Dr now has me on 40mg of prilosec for a month, then follow up.

Sounds familiar. ..I went to dr july 8th for simple blood work and on the following mon the 12th she called and said my labs showed crp at 6.9 but said ooh no worries....well I have been hurting like a pulled muscle in my right side for three weeks...I went to the er on friday and they said nothing was wrong but I feel horrible. ..they said ooh possible intercoastal muscle tear between rib cage...they did a CT scan and said liver kidney and spleen showed no signs of swelling... well I left and went home..Sat the 22nd of july I just felt bad....well I woke up sunday the the worst ever knot feeling in my upper stomach and the hottest reflux to my throat. ..took 2 zantact with no help...baking soda and Water with no help..maylox with no help...drank milk with no help...and took prilosect with no luck. ...Haven't ate NOTHING all day...haven't had a bowl movement since the 8th....I have gained 6 pounds.....but my last fill was in March. .I'm at 6 cc...don't know what to do... I went to the ENT dr on Mon. Well and he said I had a bacterial infection in my esophagus and game me meds......hard to turn over..bend..laugh or anything because of my left side....does anyone think it could be the band?