Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I am post op day 5 and losing my mind craving something crunchy! So today.... I feel so embarrassed about this.... I chewed up and spit out a handful of potato chips. I brushed my teeth after to make sure I didn't swallow anything at all.

I refuse to eat solids and regurgitate and risk messing up my band, and I'm not even hungry. I just needed to chew something so badly!

I feel absolutely ridiculous, but have to ask- is this something many of you battled in the liquids phase (or even beyond, with texturally problematic foods)? Is it ok to do?

I have a friend who is banded 2 years for who this became a habit. Everytime she wanted to eat something but thought she shouldn't, she would chew it then spit it out. I only found out because I was saying recently I was craving something and she suggested it.

I actually don't personally think that this is something I would do, or continue to do. Because half this battle is fighting your food demons, and this, to me, is like saying I'm not really smoking if I hold a cigarette, puff but don't inhale. Because it's still feeding the addiction.

In the end it's up to you, but it's not something I would do. Just on the aside as well, my friend is not a successful bander, and has only lost 20lbs in 2 years despite exercising a LOT more than me. I don't know if there is a correlation, but in my uninformed opinion, she has never really won her battle against her addiction to food.< /p>

I am post op day 5 and losing my mind craving something crunchy! So today.... I feel so embarrassed about this.... I chewed up and spit out a handful of potato chips. I brushed my teeth after to make sure I didn't swallow anything at all.

I refuse to eat solids and regurgitate and risk messing up my band' date=' and I'm not even hungry. I just needed to chew something so badly!

I feel absolutely ridiculous, but have to ask- is this something many of you battled in the liquids phase (or even beyond, with texturally problematic foods)? Is it ok to do?[/quote']

Lol.. I so did that the other night!! Your not alone;)

I recommend chewing ICE. I went to the movies today and I used to always get a large popcorn but I only ate it during previews. (weird i know) But instead I went to the concession and asked for a cup of ice. It feed my need to chew something and the hand to mouth motion was comforting.

I put some of my Protein Shake in an ice cube tray and sucked on them and chewed them like a popsicle.

i am sure its okay to do but dont think its a good idea

i was bulimic in high school and did something like this alot aside from the other part of that disease..i dont recommend it anyone doing it..

as lellow said, time to get your mind in the game...the entire game....right now you are healing and uncomfortable, you just endured and came through major surgery, so your body is like WTF....i suggest, sipping some more liquids, get your Protein in and def use the free items they allowed you to have...its a mind thing really....most of us who have surgery did the 2 week all liquid pre op and the 2 week liquid post op..so i have been there.....SF popsicles saved me GF.....use your great mind to help you get through this...in reality, it wont be much longer until you are able to chew/eat again but right now it seems like FOREVER....go slow, stay busy, take a bath, take a walk, and def keep sipping (to quench the head hunger)..congrats on your surgery.

I have a friend who is banded 2 years for who this became a habit. Everytime she wanted to eat something but thought she shouldn't' date=' she would chew it then spit it out. I only found out because I was saying recently I was craving something and she suggested it.

I actually don't personally think that this is something I would do, or continue to do. Because half this battle is fighting your food demons, and this, to me, is like saying I'm not really smoking if I hold a cigarette, puff but don't inhale. Because it's still feeding the addiction.

In the end it's up to you, but it's not something I would do. Just on the aside as well, my friend is not a successful bander, and has only lost 20lbs in 2 years despite exercising a LOT more than me. I don't know if there is a correlation, but in my uninformed opinion, she has never really won her battle against her addiction to food.[/quote']

I agree :/ I felt guilty afterward, and wanted to cry. I really do just need to win the war against food in the long run, and that takes mental fortitude. I think next time I will try ice, esp since I wasn't craving food, just chewing. Maybe I just needed to get it out of my system!

So from now on, no more chewing and spitting! And if I do I promise to come back to this thread and share... that should keep me accountable.

Thx for all the advice and support!

I have absolutely done that! With bread. But I am just about over my bread addiction and I don't do it anymore! Consider it like a smoking patch. You get the nicotine without smoking but soon you will not need it!

I refuse to eat solids and regurgitate and risk messing up my band' date=' and I'm not even hungry. I just needed to chew something so badly!

I feel absolutely ridiculous, but have to ask- is this something many of you battled in the liquids phase (or even beyond, with texturally problematic foods)? Is it ok to do?[/quote']

I actually did this during my liquid phase, I would get flavored Pringles or Doritos & lick everything off them and throw away the chip. However I wouldn't recommend this to anyone because it was too much of a temptation to just not eat the whole chip

I'm not banded yet so I cant relate BUT could you chew gum instead? They have so many wild flavors now, maybe the constant act of chewing could help?? I like the ice idea too. I do that now ;)

I'm not banded yet so I cant relate BUT could you chew gum instead? They have so many wild flavors now' date=' maybe the constant act of chewing could help?? I like the ice idea too. I do that now ;)[/quote']

Omg I tried chewing gum today. Fail. Swallowing all the extra flavor-y saliva (gross, but this is real life lol) came hand in hand with swallowing a bunch of AIR. Didn't realize it until I tried to eat (drink) my lunch. After one bite I was hurting so badly I thought I was going to throw up. Not sure if it's like this for anyone else, but I'm gassy like I need to burp almost constantly. After every sip of everything I drink I can feel it crossing the band and its like the liquids trade place with the air below my band.... I can feel it, then there's like a mini itty bitty burp. I know sounds bizarre, but it's been like that since day one. Its not painful, just something I'm aware of. But anyway after the gum and one sip of Soup it was like there was nowhere for the Soup to go bc I was full if air :/ Couldn't swallow anything for about an hour of walking and having a friend pat my back. Could barely breathe...

It went away, thank God. But to answer your question: no gum for me thanks!

Omg I tried chewing gum today. Fail. Swallowing all the extra flavor-y saliva (gross' date=' but this is real life lol) came hand in hand with swallowing a bunch of AIR. Didn't realize it until I tried to eat (drink) my lunch. After one bite I was hurting so badly I thought I was going to throw up. Not sure if it's like this for anyone else, but I'm gassy like I need to burp almost constantly. After every sip of everything I drink I can feel it crossing the band and its like the liquids trade place with the air below my band.... I can feel it, then there's like a mini itty bitty burp. I know sounds bizarre, but it's been like that since day one. Its not painful, just something I'm aware of. But anyway after the gum and one sip of Soup it was like there was nowhere for the soup to go bc I was full if air :/ Couldn't swallow anything for about an hour of walking and having a friend pat my back. Could barely breathe...

It went away, thank God. But to answer your question: no gum for me thanks![/quote']

Birping and air constantly ... Oh yes. That's me! I take gas x like every day!

Oh no! I'm sorry-- bad suggestion! At least now you (and I as well) know to stay away from gum!! Eek. Hope you're feeling better soon!

I'm some how feeling the need to eat peanuts or cashews. I think it's the boredom kicking in today but your not alone.