Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I have been banded for 6 years and so disappointed. I've had numerous fills and thought I had reached a "sweet spot"...My doctor doesn't really care here in Ventura, they have even somehow lost all my records (so upsetting)..but they've moved to a big, fancy office so obviously the money talks but caring for patients as individuals is not there. My lapband at one point was so restricted, kept having reflux and being stuck all the time, no matter how slowly I chewed...did all the things I was suppose to do. I am so tired of my lap band. In the beginning I was so excited but it is a huge disappointment. Going out with friends and family was always so embarrassing, due to feelings of being stuck and my chest making funny noises. There is no such thing as a sweet spot...take my word for it. Last time I went to the office they charged $300.00 to talk to me and remove a little saline..unbelievable!! I just feel so upset by this whole procedure. They keep saying it's a tool, well it is not even a tool, it just disrupts your whole life and revolves around this "tool" plus you don't lose the weigh. And get this, the nurse says to me...perhaps this isn't for you and we can look into other surgeries..no way!!! So you can make more money. I have talked to 7 other people that have had the lap band, they too are so disappointed. Be careful!! Take that money for the surgery and instead invest in a good pair of walking shoes, buy healthy foods, lots of big salads with balsamic vinegarette, lean meats and fruits..just be careful!! My recommendation...DON'T DO THE LAP BAND!!! Take care of yourself.

I have been banded for 6 years and so disappointed. I've had numerous fills and thought I had reached a "sweet spot"...My doctor doesn't really care here in Ventura, they have even somehow lost all my records (so upsetting)..but they've moved to a big, fancy office so obviously the money talks but caring for patients as individuals is not there. My lapband at one point was so restricted, kept having reflux and being stuck all the time, no matter how slowly I chewed...did all the things I was suppose to do. I am so tired of my lap band. In the beginning I was so excited but it is a huge disappointment. Going out with friends and family was always so embarrassing, due to feelings of being stuck and my chest making funny noises. There is no such thing as a sweet spot...take my word for it. Last time I went to the office they charged $300.00 to talk to me and remove a little saline..unbelievable!! I just feel so upset by this whole procedure. They keep saying it's a tool, well it is not even a tool, it just disrupts your whole life and revolves around this "tool" plus you don't lose the weigh. And get this, the nurse says to me...perhaps this isn't for you and we can look into other surgeries..no way!!! So you can make more money. I have talked to 7 other people that have had the lap band, they too are so disappointed. Be careful!! Take that money for the surgery and instead invest in a good pair of walking shoes, buy healthy foods, lots of big salads with balsamic vinegarette, lean meats and fruits..just be careful!! My recommendation...DON'T DO THE LAP BAND!!! Take care of yourself.

Im sorry you are going through so much trouble but I have several friends that have the lap band and oh yeah there is a such thing as hitting that mark. It looks to me the doctor you chose does not really care so to speak. I love my doctor and I have such a good support system and can talk with an advocate anytime I need to. The band is a tool I have lost weight along with hundreds of other people here. Maybe the band was not the right tool for you. It is possible. I have known someone who had the band and they could not control there eating didn't change their eating habits and still gulping down sodas and wont get off her but and exercise and guess what lol she has had no success with it.

Can't comment....get back to you in 3-1/2 more years, my 6 year mark....

Untill then, I'm enjoying MY sweet spot...no one else's.

Did you have any weight loss success with the band though? And if so have you been able to keep off the weight for the last six years? I’m just curious because I am still deciding on whether to get the Band or not. Thank you. Any information will be appreciated.

I am really happy for the people that have lost weight thru the lap band and I wish you long term success! I myself did lose 30 lbs right after my surgery, but that was also due to having a liquid diet in the beginning, but after that, I did not lose any more weight. And believe me, I followed all the rules and was very strict. I use an elliptical 6 days a week for 45 min or more and walk my dogs in the hills and the beaches...at one point I was one of those gung ho folks that would be proud of my lap band and encourage people to give it a try...unfortunately, not any more..I wish I was a success story. But the reality, the band is more bothersome and I just am tired of it. I am for the first time in 6 years, enjoying an apple, able to eat a veggie sandwich on whole wheat bread without gagging...I am eating more healthy and my skin looks so much better. I suppose it is different for everyone, if it works for you, I give a high five to you. I just don't recommend it. But, that is my opinion. Good luck!!!

I'm truly sorry that you've had a negative experience with the band. It's TRUE it happens :( I've found that AFTERCARE is soooooooooooo IMPORTANT!!! And again it's a Fact that so many Doctor's feel that their part ends when the band is placed. Sounds like the LB has paid off in SPADES if your doctor has a nice new office, sounds like he's placed enough of them and get's quite a fee for Fills to have paid for his new office on the pain and suffering of his patient's. wondering if this is one of the 1-800 GET THIN clinics If so they have a current lawsuit against them. (just a thought) ;)

​It's true some people Don't get results or lose with with band, but I'm not telling you anything you don't already know ..sorry.

Also, Sorry that you or anyone else that doesn't have the "perfect band" experience can't be open to THEIR experience without being called a Troll.

It's called Fear of Reality ;)

Good Luck!

It seems to me from your post that your problem isn't your band, it's a lack of a good doctor and information. Losing your records? That's inexcusable- and it's also something that can get them in a lot of trouble legally. Being embarrassed to go out because stuck issues isn't normal. Neither is reflux. It sounds like you spent the majority of your banded life too tight.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience, but the band IS a great tool when used properly. I've lost over 220 pounds in 18 months and my band is definitely in the "sweet spot" and has been for a long time. The band has never disrupted my life- it saved my life.

Saying the band doesn't work is completely untrue- I'm living proof it does work. But, it only works when the person with the band actually does what is necessary to be successful with it and they have good aftercare.

Best wishes.

It seems to me from your post that your problem isn't your band' date=' it's a lack of a good doctor and information. Losing your records? That's inexcusable- and it's also something that can get them in a lot of trouble legally. Being embarrassed to go out because stuck issues isn't normal. Neither is reflux. It sounds like you spent the majority of your banded life too tight.

I'm sorry you have had a bad experience, but the band IS a great tool when used properly. I've lost over 220 pounds in 18 months and my band is definitely in the "sweet spot" and has been for a long time. The band has never disrupted my life- it saved my life.

Saying the band doesn't work is completely untrue- I'm living proof it does work. But, it only works when the person with the band actually does what is necessary to be successful with it and they have good aftercare.

Best wishes.[/quote']

^^^ I completely agree. I'm new- banded April 29th an have lost 50 lbs. I am so thankful for my band and will continue to follow the rules, check in for aftercare every month and continue to lose weight and most importantly get HEALTHY!

If I wasn't getting the care I needed- like you speak of- I would've done something about it LONG before now.

Good luck!

Oh how badly i want to respond to this post. I myself went through lap band hell. I went through lap band hell because my doctor wouldn't listen to me. You are right, he was making lots of money off me each month. I am a 46 yr old woman and i know my body. My band was good for me for about two yrs. and then after a fixed flipped port, everything went downhill but my weight (which i am accountable for) i would lose restriction after 2 or 3 days of a good fill and i had horrible port site pain. So after 7 months of arguing with him i had it. Sure enough, he finally paid attention to how many cc's were in there. One time i asked him what is in there, and he didn't know. i was so pissed i slammed the door. So he found a leak and my port was being rejected. I switched doctors within the clinic and have been so blessed. I chose to have the band out and switched to the sleeve. My insurance covered it because the band was being rejected and i couldn't have it. So far i am 45 pounds down 10 weeks post up and a very good surgeon that listens to me. It sounds like you are trying and doing what you should be doing. I have nothing against lap bands, but why does it seem like if someone has a band thats working they think its you that is doing something wrong. I don't think you are slamming your band, you have every right to slam your incompetent doctor. If you have a chance and decide to change surgeries, the sleeve is so easy. The recovery was a bit hard due to two surgeries at once (band out, and sleeve) but i am good now. I am so sorry you are gong through this. I wish people that had successful lap bands would be more supportive of those that are struggling. If your insurance is paying for it , maybe they can tell them your body is rejecting it and you may want to consider the sleeve. And i never found my sweet spot either after two years. So i feel for you and support you. We have all walked in each others foot steps, so lets make suggestions for those that need it, not tell them how successful you have been with your band. She is hurting enough and feeling sad, she doesn't need more ridicule~~~ You should change doctors if you can., one that listens to you. Yes, my fills were over 200.00 too every month. All it did was build a big medical bill. After i had the sleeve i had 3 post op visits and cancelled the rest. I feel good and am doing fine. I wish you well and please send me a personal message if you want to talk. i am here for each and everyone of you. AS I HAVE WALKED IN ALL YOUR SHOES!!!!!! Lets make sure we are supporting all our members on here. I have heard some harsh things on this site and it makes me sad. Just because one thing works for, it doesn't mean it works for another, even if they are doing everything right. Again, I am here to support all of you. This is a terrible disease that had debilitated many of us...my heart goes to those that are struggling. BUT I BELIEVE IN EACH AND EVERYONE OF YOU!!!

Bottom line is everyone is different. Its not right to come here and bash something that might save someone life just because you had a bad situation. I have had no problems with my band at all and neither 7 of the people that I know. Everyone here that has bad things to say seems like its not the band its working with your doctor is the problem. That's why one should do research of the doctor, talk to those who have used that doctor and find out how he practice.

may not have have worked for you, but it is working for me...

Oh my goodness!!! I am just being honest. People should hear both sides who are considering the lap band and then make their own decisions. That is called educating and researching the topic thru reality. If I would have heard the pros and cons years ago, I would have realized that I may be successful or unfortunately not be successful in losing the weight...anyways, let's not wander off what this site is about. Providing realistic information. I still have my lap band and will try again with a slight fill in a few weeks. Maybe..lol..but since I have very little restriction, I lost 1 lb. and feel healthier eating more veggies with whole grains and actually gulping ice cool, refreshing Water with lemon..ahh

Keep up the good work everyone and sincerely happy it worked for you. Thank you Hoover123,happy you finally found help..you should not have gone thru all the complications but finally you're on the right road..yay!!! Good luck pretty lady!

The disappointment accompanying the band isn't unusual. Neither is being physically damaged. If a person is lucky, they'll only be disappointed. Good luck to you. I understand where you're coming from!