Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Surgery clearance letter from primary

I have been trying with no luck to get the surgical clearance letter from my primary care doctor. It is required by my insurance for approval for the surgery. I went to see him again last week and he says he can't do the letter with out a new EKG, blood work etc. He did an EKG last month an blood work 2 months ago. The first time I spoke with him regarding this letter he was very negative about lapband and wanted me to try weight loss pills thru his office. He also old me all pre-op stuff needs to be done by him because he knows my history..........I think he just wants me to come to him often so he can charge my insurance :-/ I'm worried that if I go to a new doctor for the letter they won't do it either. Any advice?

Is your surgeon requiring a pre-op EKG and blood work? If not, he should just examine you and complete the required paperwork regardless of his personal opinion regarding lap band.

Is your surgeon requiring a pre-op EKG and blood work? If not' date=' he should just examine you and complete the required paperwork regardless of his personal opinion regarding lap band.[/quote']

No, they are not requiring that. He makes it sound like he can't clear me for surgery without a new EKG etc. I typed up a letter explaining everything to him once again. I'm going later to drop it off at his office. Hopefully it will work this time. I'm finding a new doctor soon!!!

The doctors I manage will just do the pre-op exam/testing based on what the surgeon is requiring. Unless you have a cardiac history, it seems that another EKG would be unnecessary. Just my opinion. I would just make an appointment for the pre-op exam then question the need for another EKG and blood tests directly with your PCP. Make him/her explain to you why its necessary. Good luck!

The doctors I manage will just do the pre-op exam/testing based on what the surgeon is requiring. Unless you have a cardiac history' date=' it seems that another EKG would be unnecessary. Just my opinion. I would just make an appointment for the pre-op exam then question the need for another EKG and blood tests directly with your PCP. Make him/her explain to you why its necessary. Good luck![/quote']

I just called and made another appt to talk to my PCP. I don't have a cardiac history. Hopefully I can explain to him I just need a clearance letter and will do the pre-op stuff once approved by my insurance. If that doesn't work I guess I will find a new PCP :-/

My daughter ran into the same thing with her doctor. They changed her insurance so she has a new doctor and she is supportive, however her insurance won't clear her. As for me, my doctor wanted me to complete my weight loss on my own, but my insurance did not require her clearance. Besides she said it was up to me I have chosen to have the band and go in on the 24th of this month.

It sounds like that doctor likes the money he'll receive from your insurance if he does all the testing. Have you appealed to your insurance and explained that you just had an EKG and they paid for it? It sounds like your doctor is bilking the insurance company. He can get in serious trouble if he is especially if he's dealing with any type of insurance such as Medicare or Medicaid.

If your doctor is still stubborn by all means change your PCP.

My daughter ran into the same thing with her doctor. They changed her insurance so she has a new doctor and she is supportive' date=' however her insurance won't clear her. As for me, my doctor wanted me to complete my weight loss on my own, but my insurance did not require her clearance. Besides she said it was up to me I have chosen to have the band and go in on the 24th of this month.[/quote']

My doctor wanted me to lose weight on my own as well.

It sounds like that doctor likes the money he'll receive from your insurance if he does all the testing. Have you appealed to your insurance and explained that you just had an EKG and they paid for it? It sounds like your doctor is bilking the insurance company. He can get in serious trouble if he is especially if he's dealing with any type of insurance such as Medicare or Medicaid.

If your doctor is still stubborn by all means change your PCP.

Nothing has been sent to my insurance yet. My weight loss dr has to have the clearance letter from my PCP before my file can be sent to insurance for approval. I am going to see my PCP doctor one more time to try and get this letter. If he doesn't so it I'll find a new doctor ASAP. ( I won't be going back to my current doctor after I get the letter from him)