Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

How do you know if you need a fill?

Hello! I was banded on 6/6/2013. I am just over 1 month post-op. I was told that some Fluid was added at the time of surgery just not sure how much. I have lost 23lbs since surgery. I eat about 1/2 C - 1 C food and I do not get hungry in between meals. I eat every 4-5 hours 3x a day. The nurse scheduled me for a appt 2 weeks post op and come to find out they made a mistake and the appt should have been 1 month post op! The nurse was asking me if I was getting hungry, what I was eating and so on.. She apologized for the mix up in scheduling and said they needed to see me at 4 wks for a fill. I asked how i would know if i needed one and she said " you are 2 weeks post op, when you get to 1 month you will be hungry and need one!" I live over 1 hour away and so going back this week for my 1 month post op is frustrating! My question is.. I am still eating the small amounts and staying satisfied for 4-5 hours. Im worried if I get a fill I would experience problems of possibly being too tight? Idk.. Need some advice. I have about 40 more lbs till my goal weight and i want to do whats right :) help...

I had my surger on 05/29/2013 and went in for my first fill but didn't get it. Here lately since last week, i've been extremely hungry in between meals. Right now I have about 4cc in my band and my band holds 10cc, I know it's time for a fill for me. Just watch over time if you get hungry. I started getting hungry in between meals over a month after my surgery. Hopefully this helps a little bit.

Thank you! I was just concerned with actually getting a fill and being too tight. I have heard some do fine with what is put in on surgery? I just want to be sure! Thanks for replying!

Hello! I was banded on 6/6/2013. I am just over 1 month post-op. I was told that some Fluid was added at the time of surgery just not sure how much. I have lost 23lbs since surgery. I eat about 1/2 C - 1 C food and I do not get hungry in between meals. I eat every 4-5 hours 3x a day. The nurse scheduled me for a appt 2 weeks post op and come to find out they made a mistake and the appt should have been 1 month post op! The nurse was asking me if I was getting hungry, what I was eating and so on.. She apologized for the mix up in scheduling and said they needed to see me at 4 wks for a fill. I asked how i would know if i needed one and she said " you are 2 weeks post op, when you get to 1 month you will be hungry and need one!" I live over 1 hour away and so going back this week for my 1 month post op is frustrating! My question is.. I am still eating the small amounts and staying satisfied for 4-5 hours. Im worried if I get a fill I would experience problems of possibly being too tight? Idk.. Need some advice. I have about 40 more lbs till my goal weight and i want to do whats right :) help...

If you are doing that good it could be possible that you are in your green zone and do not need a fill. That is possible some need 1 fill others need 6 and some need none. It just depends on the person.

If you are satisfied on the amount of food you are eating, you might not need a fill. I was banded in January and have not had any fills...and I've lost 70 lbs.

It officially has to do with amount you can eat, how quickly you eat, any pain/discomfort/vomiting and how often/when you're hungry. After a while I started to be able to tell when I needed a fill and I often suggest how much. My surgeon has always agreed so far. I fill out a checklist at the surgeons when I go for a fill that is supposed to help gauge. You sound like you're at a good level right now. I have 6.75 cc in an 11cc band.