Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I've Got the Blues!!!!

I've been gone from BandLand for awhile due to some technical difficulties as well as an extremely crazy schedule. I'm back thanks to my dear husband who got me a brand new laptop so that I would be able to stay entertained while recovering from my band surgery.

I'm actually pretty discouraged at the moment regarding my future band. I was initially supposed to get my band on February 27th. However, I unexpectedly ended up in the hospital on Feb 7th with severe pains and ended up having a (benign) tumor removed that was pinching one of my ovaries. I was out of work for 3 weeks and had to reschedule my surgery for May 1st. Unfortunately, when I went in to my doctors office the Thursday before my surgery he determined that I had not lost enough weight to be able to proceed. I was supposed to lose 5% of my body weight prior to the surgery which for me was a minimum of a 19 pound weight loss. I had only lost 12 pounds and my doctor refused to go forward until I lose another 10. (Not sure why I have to lose more now than I did before)

I'm super frustrated because dieting is obviously an issue for me. Otherwise, why would I be having the band in the first place? We have been under a lot of financial strain lately and so I've taken a 2nd job and am basically working about 70 hours a week to try and pay down some debt and save enough for my co-pay for this procedure. Mon-Fri I eat every single meal away from home. Which means I'm living on Lean Cuisines which, while tasty, get VERY old sometimes.

My doctor wants me to be on a strict pre-surgical diet consisting of 3 Slim-Fast's per day and unlimited fruits and veggies. I'm supposed to stick to this diet 75% of the time. It's just so hard becuase I truly dislike Slim-Fast (as well as all other Meal Replacement shakes) and it's such an extreme diet that i don't understand how anyone could be expected to maintain this diet over such a long period of time. Especially a person who so obviously doesn't do well with diets in the first place. Plus, I've essentially been trying to stick to this diet since January and I suppose it's pretty obvious by my failure to lose enough weight that it's just not going well for me.

I'm experiencing an extreme lack of motivation and an overwhelming discouragement regarding the band. I was so excited to have it back in February. To be delayed essentially 3 months has really eroded my confidence that this is really the right thing for me. What if this is a sign that I am not supposed to do this? What if I can't succeed in this? I've never known success in this area and this latest setback has really knocked my feet out from under me. I have so much goin on in my life right now. And I am so FRICKING tired of focusing on food so much! Whether I'm binging or dieting it's all the same. All I can think about is what I can eat and what I can't eat and then feel bad because I either ate something I shouldn't have or becuase I want to eat something I shouldn't.

I'm just so damn tired of the whole thing. :) :think

V - I'm so sorry. That's so discouraging. Why is he insisting on so much weight loss? Did you ask why the requirement increased?

I don't know if this would work for you, but I lost 10 lbs without really trying by eating the Bandster Way. I am chewing chewing chewing and not drinking any liquid with my meals. I think that the food is staying in my stomach a little longer so I am not as hungry. I also found that by taking so long to eat I actually got fuller sooner. Maybe that would help??

wow, i understand ur hard time, ive just been banded and im having problems with the post op diet. i can eat everything just fine, but just because you can doesn't mean you should. it sounds like you have a lot of strain on you right now, but you have to remember why you choose to do this in the first place, and what the end results will be. I think and hope that it's all worth it. there are so many success stories here on LBT i hope to be one of them some day.

Have you considered using another surgeon? Perhaps there is another one in your area who does not require a 5% weight loss. If not, you really have no choice but to lose the 10 pounds. You mentioned you're eating a lot of lean cuisine Entrees. I enjoy those but limit them them to 2 a week because they're so high in sodium and can cause Fluid retention.

If you don't like slimfast, make your own shakes with some skim milk, splenda, fresh fruit, vanilla extract, Protein Powder, fat-free yogurt and ice cubes... combine it all in a blender and enjoy!

If you really WANT the band you WILL lose the 10 pounds. You CAN do it.

Kayla

Wow you do have a lot going on in your life. I was lucky as my dr. did not require a pre-op diet or lose any weight prior to surgery. I know from reading a lot of posts that some drs. require weight loss to shrink the liver prior to surgery as they have to move it out of the way to do the banding. That said, I use unflavored unjury Protein powder that you mix with milk. I added my own flavor (mostly low fat, low sugar chocolate syrup) but you can mix in your own fresh fruit as well. I think a 8 oz. serving with the milk has 28 grams of Protein. It really is filling and quite good as well. I know it's hard to "eat" three of these per day but once you've made it through this, you'll have no problems with the post-op diet. When you are banded and get through the initial stages of liquids and mushies, food and eating do not consume your every thought, at least in my case it doesn't. I can go hours and then realize, geez I haven't had anything to eat and I'm not even hungry. It is truly a wonderful feeling not thinking about it. Then when I do get hungry, a 4 oz. cup of peaches and maybe a container of yogurt actually fills me up. Good luck to you whatever you decide to do. I know you can do this!!!

I am so sorry you are having to go through this. Every surgeon seems to have a different opinion about weight loss before surgery. Yes the fat from your liver burns first making your liver smaller and lighter. Surgeons requirements go from not required to absolutely required and large amounts at that! If it were me I would look for a different surgeon or at the very least get a second opinion. My surgeon strongly recommended a 10 lb loss, this was not a requirement but was stressed as being very important and to do the best I could. If you don't have any other options for a surgeon and you really want the band then you will have to meet his requirements no matter how grueling.

Good luck we are all here for you :)

Hi Kayla, you really do have a lot to deal with right now, and when we have that much stress on us everything is magnified. I would also look for another doctor in the area. If yours is the only game in town.... than buckle down and do what you have to do. I think some of those lean cuisines have too high a carb and sodium content. Just think of it this way, you'll be 10 lbs. closer to your goal weight after surgery. And if ten lbs. is going to make your surgery safer, I know you'll be willing to do whatever it takes. You decided on this surgery for a reason.... the reasons have not changed, I just think your in a bad place right now with too much pressure. Don't give up on your dream!!!!!!

Roberta

I've been off lap band talk for a couple weeks now. I came to be with my daughter in Tennessee to have my surgery. I have had pneumonia for the last couple of weeks and been very ill....much too much so to do much with my surgery at this point. The dr. figures it will be 2 weeks before I can even think about finishing up my appointments and the Lord only knows how long after that it is going to take. I know one thing...I sure have to feel a lot better first. I guess we all have some setbacks in life and there isn't much to do but take them in stride.

Much luck to you.

There are only two surgeons in our area (Boise) who do the lap band and they both work in concert with one another, even using the same nutritionists. So, unless Kayla goes out of state, she's stuck with the order to lose the 10 pounds. How do I know? I'm here too and her surgeon is mine as well.

Kayla, I know it's been tough for you. Very frustrating and discouraging and I had also wondered if something wasn't trying to tell you that now's not the time. I can't say whether it is or isn't but I am here to help all I can. Don't be discouraged by the delays, maybe you just needed this time to really get your head on straight about what you're going into. It will take commitment on your part and it's not something you'll never have to work at. It takes determination and I know you have it in you.

Do you have to wait a whole month to weigh in again? Or can you call him and say, "I've lost 10 pounds, let's get this party started!"?

You are a strong woman, evidenced by the way you are handling your current working situation. I know you can do this. Forget all you've been through until now and focus only on the NOW. Ten pounds is easy to lose. You've gotten some good suggestions so far. I'll add start drinking 4-6 bottles of Water a day to flush out the Water you are retaining. Get creative with those veggies and fruits, add some tuna or chicken to your salads. Get off the lean cuisine meals and enjoy the flavors of fresh foods. You can do this, Kayla. :)

Thanks to all of you for your encouraging words and advice. I woke up this morning with a renewed sense of determination regarding this whole issue. I finally buckled down and bought a scale that could weight me accurately. (Sad to say but my old scale only went up to 280 and I am well beyond that) I've always had to go to the doctor's office in the past to weigh myself so it was much harder to keep track of my progress (or lack thereof!) I'm hoping that being able to weigh at home a few times a week will help me stay on task a lot better.

I know that ultimately it all comes down to a choice on my part. I can choose to be positive and do what it takes, or I can choose to be negative and talk myself back to poor eating habits. I truly do want to succeed in this.

Unfortuantely, even if I did lose the 10 pounds in the next week or two, I am at the mercy of both the doctor's availability and my co-workers vacation schedule. So I am stuck with the June 5th surgery date, although I wish I could go earlier. My plan is to count calories and exercise the next 2 weeks but not be as strict with myself about the Protein shakes until the final 2 weeks before the surgery. I just think if I try to go gangbusters for the full four weeks I'm afraid I will burn out half way through and the temptation to cheat will be too great. Right now I just want to focus on staying away from fast food restaurants and keeping the junk food out of the house. Luckily the weather has been nice lately so I've been able to get out and walk more often. Yay!

Again, thank you to all of you for your support. I'm glad that I can be online again. I think having support will make a world of difference. :)

Love the new Avatar chickie-boo! Looking up with a big smile. Awesome!

Your plan for the food and Protein shakes is right on. Trying to do that for more than a couple of weeks would be way hard! I'm not going to be able to walk today. We waited too long and the family has me now. We are going to the gym in a few minutes. But! If I can meet you to walk between jobs, let me know and I'll do my best. I'm happy to see this renwal of determination, Kayla! *big hugs*

If you want to track your food/calories, I HIGHLY recommend www.FitDay.com . It's really made a difference for me and I wish I had known about it before surgery. There is a free version and I recommend you sign up for it and try it out for a few days. If you sign up for the free version you get a discount on the downloadable version WHICH IS MUCH BETTER. With your membership, the downloadable version costs $20 which has been the best $20 I've ever spent on myself. I know money is tight for you right now but it's a great investment in your future success. At least it has been for me. If you like the free version, don't wait too long to buy the downloadable because you have to start over with your custom foods - it won't let you transfer from the free version :-( The free version will not store your portions on your custom foods so keep a cheat sheet with your portions so you won't have to figure it out every time you log your food! That's the biggest fault I found with the free version. The downloadable version also has LOTS more features. It's worth the $.

I heard from my band doctor that SlimFast isn't a very good Protein Drink - has too many carbs or fat or something - I don't remember. I used Isopure which you can get in GNC. It gives you 40g of Protein with zero carbs in a 20 oz bottle. It's not GREAT tasting but it's not horrible either (the blue one tastes the best IMO). Watch out because some of the flavor DO HAVE CARBS. I also use Body Fortress protein powder you can get from Wal-Mart. I use the vanilla flavor, 2 scoops mixed with 1 1/2 cups of fat free milk, 3 tablespoons of sf ff chocolate pudding and 1 tablespoon of reduced fat Peanut Butter. It tastes like drinking a Reese's Peanut Butter Cup! Yum. Having said that, this mixture is pretty high in carbs and fat so I alternated days with this and the Isopure. I lost 8 pounds in the 7 days before surgery using this liquid diet. I hear good things about Unjury unflavored protein powder too.

Good luck with your weight loss journey - I'm sure you'll succeed. You sound like a very strong woman to me. Most importantly, remember you're not alone. Come to LBT anytime and there will always be someone to offer you support when you need it.

Kayla, you and I have alot in common - as I read your post that sounded just like me.

Read my journal - you will go wow lol Im on my 4th rescheduling due to one complication or another.

After my 2nd rescheduling, I decided to start living like I was banded (see previous posts) thank goodness I did - now 6 weeks later and I am STILL waiting on my Urologist to release me to even go farther.

I switched from Slimfast to EAS low carb chocolate shakes and started losing steadily. I was really afraid I would not get down the 14lbs I needed before surgery either. Now I have lost 29lbs on my own and other than a week with sick children I have exercised no less than 5 days a week.

I usually have coffee and 1 EAS drink at Breakfast, Pork rinds or fruits/veggies at snack, a chicken salad with cheese and dressing at lunch, cheese & crackers for a snack in the afternoon, 1 EAS drink if I get hungry before dinner and dinner with the family - just smaller portions and very limited carbs plus a salad, after dinner if I get snack hungry its another EAS drink or pork rinds.

Exercise exercise exercise.....water ~~ omgosh I had no clue 80 oz was not enough until Heather told me in another thread for my weight I needed 130 oz :P

When I don't exercise, I can tell a huge difference in the way I handle stress and what I have to deal with in our household.

Luckily, I work out of my home and that helps some, but then sometimes it just adds more stress :speechles

Hope this helps and good luck with your journey, and don't give up hope

I forgot to add (my isp is acting funky) this might not work for everyone and being boring and BLAND bleh! but it's helped me get my eating in control.

If it weren't for the support and understanding of alot of people here, I might have given up.

My plan is to count calories and exercise the next 2 weeks but not be as strict with myself about the Protein shakes until the final 2 weeks before the surgery.

That is exactly what I would do. If you try to limit your calories to 1200-1500 for the next 2 weeks, plus get a bit of exercise in, then hit it hard the last 2 weeks with the liquid diet, then you should lose that 10 pounds.

Have you tried different types of Protein Shakes? I have tried them all and I can't stand any of them, except for one. Trader Joe's has a whey Protein powder (chocolate is good) that has more carbs than the others because it contains sugar instead of artifical sweeteners. I really like it. I blend it with 1% milk and ice and it makes a malt. It has a tiny aftertaste, but it is small and it doesn't hit until after you drink it. I love it... Do you have a Trader Joes? It costs about $8 a can... It is not the Designer whey (that one is gross!)

Good luck!!!

Its amazing to me how docs and insurance companies dictate what hoops we have to jump through to get the things we need. I was a self pay and went to Mexico. I had no required weight loss, no required pre-op diet. I'm not saying these things can't be helpful, I guess my point is, the WHOLE reason we have this procedure is b/c we have been unable to sustain weight loss right? Seems to me that sometimes these docs don't realize that STRESS has caused some of us to gain as well! Hang in there girl, nothing good comes easy, it is SOOOOOO WORTH it once you get it! Good Luck!!! We're rootin for ya!!