Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I had a fill in March that probably was too tight. I just really focused on eating small bites and chewing. After a weeks it got better. I have not gone in for a fill since then because I get stuck fairly easily. About a month ago I began getting stuck on everything. I eat my yogurt...stuck. I cannot eat anything of any nutritional value. I thought going on liquids a few days would resolve this and it does help for about one meal and then I get stuck on everything again. I am now to the point that I am pretty miserable. I will call the doctor Monday morning. I am not a complainer so I did not want to go into the doc for every time I get stuck. I want this to work after all this is what I signed up for. I am feeling a bit defeated. Any recommendations?

I had a fill in March that probably was too tight. I just really focused on eating small bites and chewing. After a weeks it got better. I have not gone in for a fill since then because I get stuck fairly easily. About a month ago I began getting stuck on everything. I eat my yogurt...stuck. I cannot eat anything of any nutritional value. I thought going on liquids a few days would resolve this and it does help for about one meal and then I get stuck on everything again. I am now to the point that I am pretty miserable. I will call the doctor Monday morning. I am not a complainer so I did not want to go into the doc for every time I get stuck. I want this to work after all this is what I signed up for. I am feeling a bit defeated. Any recommendations?

Since March is a very long time to wait. I understand not wanting to whine or always run to the doctor, but I believe you have made the right decision to go back.

I have read some that said even 1/2 of a cc makes a difference.

Let me know what happens.

Best luck in your journey!!!

I cannot even presume I know anything about you or your situation, I can only speak on my own experiences....

To me, the band's intentions are to change the way I eat, the amounts, and to a certain extent the types of foods I eat....including the time of day.....

It is a fine line...a true balancing act, walking a tight rope, for me to find that "magical" place between being too tight and eating differently...changing my habits....and it took a few months after my final fill to learn it....it was a very hard thing for me to learn, with many stuck episodes..sometime 2-3 times a day.....because I am stubborn, and a hard learner...not wanting to give up my old habits I picked up over the years....

The way I eat today...without giving it a second thought, 2nd nature, new habits,...I could never have imagined possible before being banded.....but change I did....I eat like a bird as the saying goes....many peoiple comment I do not eat enough, and worry I am ill or something....yet I run 5 miles a day and work 8-10 hrs with energy to spare....I put those who are concerned to shame.....

if I were to attempt to eat the way I used to, it would be a stuck episode for sure...but I learned....so I no longer attempt....it has become a lifestyle...

I am no in that lifetime phase, where everything new is now ingrained in me...I do not have to think about what I can and cannot do..there are certain foods I now simply ignore....I can walk right by them....

I do not need to count calories, worry about portion sizes....DIET is a 4 letter word! It is truly a lifestyle!

But it took some hard knocks and hard lessons to get here....BANDSTER HELL....at any time I could have backed away and given up...the band is adjustable...fortunately my Dr. kept pushing me to go onwards...he understood that my life depended on it and I may not get a 2nd chance at this....

But again, only YOU know what is happening to you...and only YOU have control over your life....

You have perfectly described a too tight band. We are not substituting one unhealthy lifestyle for another. I know we are all eager to shed pounds and feel motivated when that scale goes down, but we cannot neglect our health by depriving ourselves of the basic nutrition our bodies require. Depending on how much of a fill your doc gave you in March, you may only need a smidgin of an unfill. For example, if you are relatively new to being banded and your doc gave you an aggressive 3cc fill, you may just need 0.5-1 cc taken out. If you are on the other spectrum where you are getting maintenance fills and your last fill was only 0.5cc than maybe a 0.1 - 0.25 cc is warranted. Eating continuously on a too tight band can set you up for serious complications ranging from slipping/erosion to malnutrition. Although these complications may be experienced by the small percentages, you can believe they are higher in those who are noncompliant too. Get to the doc and get a partial unfill.

I agree with Hazelsbliss, what you describe is text book for a band too tight. It's a good thing you're going into your doctor because bands that are too tight can lead to slips.

Here is a great article called "Tighter Isn't Always Better"- http://www.lapbandtalk.com/page/index.html/_/support/post-op-support/tighter-isnt-always-better-r118

Does any one know the symtoms of a slipped band??

lillieleonard, usually the person will have alot of abdominal or chest pain and nausea and vomiting. I suffered a slipped band and I definately knew something was wrong. I could not hold down anything I ate, vomited all the time and had alot of pain in my chest.

Thank you everyone. I do have a lot of gas pains in my chest even before I try to eat anything in the morning and all day. I am going in to see the doc next week. I will have him check everything and unfill if needed but if it is just learning how to eat I would rather just leave it. I still have a lot to learn just being banded in January. Thanks again!

Went to doc. Nothing damaged but did take .2 out. I hope I don't regret this but they thought it would be best.

I actually just had my third unfill today in the last couple months. I have always gotten bad allergies during summer time, and so I will go for an unfill and then a few weeks later I will feel my band tightening up. When I start to consciously make the decisions to only eat "safe" foods (soft foods that wont get stuck), I know something is wrong.

Always be proactive when it comes to your band. This is only a tool, but it is one that you have to treat properly. Being too tight will most likely not lead to weight loss and could lead to a host of other problems. If you get Fluid out, you can always get it put back in.

If you feel as if something could be w-r-o-n-g with your band, tell your surgeon so you can have the proper tests scheduled. I requested a barium swallow between my second and third unfills because I wanted to make sure that nothing had gone wrong internally with the band. Luckily my allergies had just caused another round of marathon tightening and nothing was wrong with my actual band, but it's always something we need to be proactive about. If we don't tell our Dr's what's going on within our bodies, they won't have any idea something is wrong and won't be able to help us.

My experience is a too tight band csn cause a dilation abd a big ir full unfill. You don't wsnt yhat. You made the right choice.

you all are awesome. thank you.

Hi Hope2, just wondering how are you feeling this week with the small defill?

I am feeling much better. I am not constantly stuck. I worry a bit about not having the restriction but I will let you know how it goes. It is very nice being able to actually eat a small meal without PBing. Thank you for asking.

That's great to know. If you just keep watching your portion sizes, all will be fine. Good luck and remember to chew, chew, chew (small bites). :)