Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Before banding practice

Hi all,

I am still in the insurance phase and hope to hear something soon. I started looking at WLS about 6 months ago. I was all set for the RY until I went to an information sessions which was a requirement to even be considered for surgery. Glad I went because that is where I found out about the lap band.

Now, what I really want to know is if there is anything you could suggest I could or should be doing right now that will help me be prepared for after banding? I have done my research, both on the procedure and the surgeon. I have a copy of both the pre-op and post-op check list (thanks to everyone for their input on them), I even have some of the recipes. I am trying to eat slower and chew longer (not an easy task), I plan to start walking at least 30 min 3 times per week. I don't have McDonalds for Breakfast on my way to work, well not every morning:nervous . Is there anything else that will make the transition easier? Any input would be wonderful.

I'd say, stop drinking with meals. Don't even bring a drink with you to the table.

That's all I got! You sound like you're doing good :)

I'd say if you currently drink any carbonated or caffeinated drinks, eliminate them now. If you are used to caffeine, stopping it, will give you a pretty good headache for a couple of days, but better now than while recovering from the surgery. Start trying to trim down the amount of fat in your diet, and up the Protein, to prepare your liver even further in advance of the pre-op diet. Sounds like you are well prepared!! Best of luck to you!!!

Kat

So far it looks like you've got a pretty good start.

What I did was get a list of the "band rules". I did my absolute best to learn to live with them pre-op so that I knew I could do them post op. I went into what I called "training mode". I was a little nervous about making sure I could make such a lifetime committment when I had failed at changes like these in the past. My training included the no drinking with meals. I think that because I did that, I don't have any problem with it now. That seems to be a difficult one for lots of bandsters. Again, that wasn't the only rule I learned but it was one that I really made sure I had down pat.

You know yourself better than anyone. Look into the post-op dietary and lifestyle changes. The sooner you adopt them as part of who you are, the easier this journey can be.

Thank you for the help. Not drinking with a meal is going to be a hard one to quit so I better start now.

Again, thank you.

Don't try to eat post band portions. Without the band you'll only be hungry. anxious, and discouraged. Recognizing what a cup of food looks like is very different than being satisfied by one cup of food. If you could do that now you wouldn't need to get the band.

Yup. Do away with full sized plates. Use dessert plates or cups to eat from. Begin exercising - try different things. Treadmill, walking around the block, Water aerobics, bicycling, Curves. Find something you can actually DO without being in pain or absolutely hating it, so that you can continue. If you walk and you can't do 30 minutes yet, start with 10 and try to increase on a daily or weekly basis. You'll get there!

Practice drinking 64 oz of Water a day, but do NOT bring it to the table during meals.

Try to begin focusing on Protein - hard Proteins, such as chicken, beef, fish, eggs, Beans, THEN veggies.

I commend you for taking this approach. It is great exercise for what really will come to pass and this way you have eased your way into the new lifestyle instead of falling into it all of a sudden. Your head will be better prepared and your body will thank you for it! Keep up the great work and good luck with your surgery!

How does everyone follow the pre-op and post-op instructions. I am having the hardest time with that and have all my life. It says only eat 1200 calories a day, eat more Protein, exercise everyday, etc, etc.

Hello! If I could do that I wouldn't be fat!

That is why I had the band because I couldn't do these things! I apoligize for being negative, but do you all eat like you're suppose too?

Does the band make you eat this way or when you start losing you start eating better??

Maybe I will find out when I do start to lose or when I get the restriction I need to lose?

The other thing is, why do most of you have goals of weighing 125-150 pounds? Even when I wore a size 4, I didn't weigh 125 pounds.

Are these realistic goals?

I do hope the best for everyone and I am inspired by all of you! I can hardly wait for the pounds to start coming off!

God bless.

Hi Dee,

This post can be very overwhelming because of so many suggestions. To prepare for surgery, the most important thing is to eliminate fat from your diet. Obese people have fatty, enlarged livers and the surgeon has to retract the liver out of the way so he can visualize and operate to get the band in place.

After surgery, you're focus will be on healing and that means getting in 60 grams of Protein a day, walking, and assuring you get enough sleep. Once the swelling subsides, your appetite WILL return so don't panic. The surrgical site needs to heal so it will be 4-6 weeks before you get a first fill and work your way towards the "right" amount of restriction.

For now, make gradual changes in your diet so you're eating healthier, not snacking on processed foods (cakes, Cookies, chips, etc.) and try and eliminate fast food altogether. Trying to make too many changes at once will result in failure.

As for goals, they vary quite a bit. I am 5' 2" and have a tiny frame, tiny hands and feet, etc. When I weighed 200 pounds, I wore a size 12. I wrote down a goal for the sake of writing down SOMETHING but I work in mini-goals of 10 pounds. When I look in the mirror and like what I see I'll step on the scale. Whatever it registers will be my goal weight.

How does everyone follow the pre-op and post-op instructions. I am having the hardest time with that and have all my life. It says only eat 1200 calories a day, eat more Protein, exercise everyday, etc, etc.

Hello! If I could do that I wouldn't be fat!

That is why I had the band because I couldn't do these things! I apoligize for being negative, but do you all eat like you're suppose too?

Does the band make you eat this way or when you start losing you start eating better??

Maybe I will find out when I do start to lose or when I get the restriction I need to lose?

The other thing is, why do most of you have goals of weighing 125-150 pounds? Even when I wore a size 4, I didn't weigh 125 pounds.

Are these realistic goals?

I do hope the best for everyone and I am inspired by all of you! I can hardly wait for the pounds to start coming off!

God bless.

Dee,

I don't remember my dietician recommending 1200 cal as a pre-op, but I suppose she may have. I did the best I could to eat the recommended Protein and lower my fat intake. When I did the actual pre-op prep, which was liquids it wasn't hard to only eat 1200 cal. Broths and SF Jello isn't too high in calories :). After banded, the band helps you with your portions and helps you feel satisfied, longer. Only you can make the right choices to eat healthy foods. It's the "eat quality foods" part of the rules. For at least 8 or 9 months I kept a food diary religiously to keep track of what I was eating so that I could learn. Now, I do it only when I feel like I've stalled. It helps me figure out what I'm doing wrong.

As for our goals. Everyone's goals should be different. It should be based on your own body shape, type, height, etc. The last time I was 150 lbs I was in high school. That is my ultimate goal. I think I wore a size 10. 150 lbs is at the high range of normal weight for someone who is 5'8". If I don't make 150lbs I won't die of disappointment. I'd be happy somewhere around 160 or so. My surgeon said he'd be happy with 175 lbs. I just don't want to be in the "obese" category anymore. These individuals you're seeing with a goal of 125, are they very short? (125 for someone who is about 5' of 5'1" would be ABSOLUTELY reasonable) OR Are you seeing the amount of weight they want to lose? Some people put their actual weight down and some people put the amount they want to lose.

One of the tips was a small spoon - Im on the "live like you're banded tour" also - due to kidney complications.

I found a great tool - in the South Beach Diet wraps there is this very small red plastic spoon (like a baby's spoon) they give you to eat your Jello with.. I buy 7 or 8 wraps each week and have tons of the spoons and use those to eat with.

The wraps with lettuce and tomatoes added are a great addition to a low carb lifestyle.

So, small spoons, forks, plates and cups. Don't drink at meals, but how soon after would it be okay? Exercise, cut fat, eat more Protein, no carbonated or caffeinated drinks, and drink 64 oz of Water a day. WOW! I get started, after this cup of coffee, LOL. That is going to be another hard one. I like my coffee in the morning, but nothing taste as good as thin is going to feel.

Mrs Husker: you have to wait at least an hour after you eat before you can drink again.

I practiced chewing my food at least 25 times/bite and taking tiny bites. I was surprised after my surgery that you can chew such small amounts for that long. I even swished Jello around in my mouth a while (sort of chewing). The hardest thing for me was not drinking before during of after meals. My dietician also said to be sure and take 25 to 30 minutes to eat each meal, and lay the fork down after each bite, etc. etc. All of the stuff that I should have been doing all the time. I didn't believe I could take 30 min. to eat a little cup of jello, but yes, it can be done! Good Luck!