Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

I'm a week post op, and I am seriously questioning my decision. I am so miserable! I know it's still early and I'm healing, but the pain is horrible. I have sharp pains under my left rib cage and shoulder and a deep pain in the diaphragm area that doesn't seem to go away! I know it's gas and healing, but it's hard to see past it at this point. I am trying to keep up on the liquids, but it's hard to get them down . I am still on liquids and the Soups and Proteins. I have no idea what I'm eating calorie wise, creamy Tomato or butternut squash soups and chicken broth. I finally had bm today after 2 doses if milk of mag, and I almost couldn't choke it down :( forgive the rant, and I'm sure this is all normal, but I am having a hard time. I tried to take only Tylenol today, but I had to take the liquid Vicodin tonight as it just hurt too bad. I am sure a week from now I'll look back and it will be just a memory. My first post op appt is tomorrow so I'll relay all this to my doc. Just hanging on!

Girl use that Vicodin. That is what they give it to us for. I hate taking pain meds but I had to post op. I had to sleep in my recliner for two weeks. There was no way i could have gotten through sleeping at night without it. It will get better, promise. The pain goes away and in two weeks you are going to be back to doing things you need to do. Just give yourself time. If you have a good support system, let them take care of you. You can do it. Walk, walk, walk for the gas pains. That was the only thing that helped my pain. The vicodin just helped me sleep at night.

Take care, rant all you want!! You need to heal, and it can be painful. take some Gas-x strips for the gas, and walk as much as you can. Walking will make the gas pass, quicker. Best wishes, Karen

Hang in there, each day gets better and better and soon, (you're right) it will be a distant memory. I questioned my decision a lot that first week too. I tried stopping the pain meds within a couple of days after surgery and I was miserable. At that moment I realized why he prescribed the amount he did. The first week you just need to take it easy and heal. It will all come around and you will soon be feeling like yourself. I haven't regretted my decision since then!

I'm a week post op' date=' and I am seriously questioning my decision. I am so miserable! I know it's still early and I'm healing, but the pain is horrible. I have sharp pains under my left rib cage and shoulder and a deep pain in the diaphragm area that doesn't seem to go away! I know it's gas and healing, but it's hard to see past it at this point. I am trying to keep up on the liquids, but it's hard to get them down . I am still on liquids and the Soups and Proteins. I have no idea what I'm eating calorie wise, creamy Tomato or butternut squash soups and chicken broth. I finally had bm today after 2 doses if milk of mag, and I almost couldn't choke it down :( forgive the rant, and I'm sure this is all normal, but I am having a hard time. I tried to take only Tylenol today, but I had to take the liquid Vicodin tonight as it just hurt too bad. I am sure a week from now I'll look back and it will be just a memory. My first post op appt is tomorrow so I'll relay all this to my doc. Just hanging on![/quote']

I can completely relate, those first days are so full of pain, fear, disappointment and doubts!! Know that you're going to get thru this and be stronger for it!!

It didn't matter how much I read and researched here and other places, I could not prepare for how my body would react. You need to manage your pain first then begin moving around. At first my movement was just standing. I know that sounds weird but I hurt less standing and I walked more. Getting up hurt the most pulling at my midsection and I have 6 incision spots.

Hang on, the pain will get better but truthfully the first few months are all learning a new way of thinking. I'm just today at 3 months and 2 weeks and just recently feel I know how to eat as a Bandster.

There are a lot of wise people here ready to help and support us all!! Hang with us!!!

Sent from my iPhone using LapBandTalk

I am ony 3 days post-op and I can certainly relate to how you are feeling. I have had some serious pain and definitely questioned why I inflicted this on myself! I have bad shoulder pain, pain near the left rib cage, and big pain, mostly on the left side when I take a deep breath. I had to get my sister to stay with me because I could not get out of bed without someone pulling me out!! Holding a small firm pillow against my incisions seems to help. As the replies above indicate, this will pass and we will soon feel so much better, but in the meantime, we need to take our prescribed pain meds as prescribed (mine is every 4 hours) and that helps some (though not so much with the gas pain). I too am not able to get much down...the sweet juices and Protein Shakes turn my stomach and I am pretty sick of broth. Last night for the first time, I got really nauseated and took the phenergan the doctor prescribed. Despite the pain and nausea, I know that this rough patch will pass and we will soon feel great and lose some major pounds! Keep your chin up, we are all in the same boat and are there to commiserate with you!

Keep walking and moving the pain medication is temporary i kept walking and got rid of pain on the third day

Thanks guys!! Today was a little better and I'm sure tomorrow will be even better than today. The doc says the pain in the middle of my gut, when I try to burp, and it just pushes itself back down , and then radiates to my shoulder is from the stitches from the hernia. Who knew!! The worst of my day was the killer headache I woke up with after a nap. Not sure if it was the position I slept in, propped up in the bed, but it was brutal. I did take the pain meds twice, but my Prescription was four x a day for 6 days. but i'm on day 8 and only using twice a day, so i figure its ok. I got some chicken tortilla Soup from el pollo loco and blended it for Breakfast and lunch and then had thinned out cream of wheat for dinner. My foods are backwards! Lol! But I am so over broths and Protein drinks! Looking forward to feeling even better tomorrow . I have weekend plans and I want to enjoy them!! Plus I go back to work Monday! Hope you all are feeling better too! Thanks for the encouragement , it means a lot!

The only pain I had was in my left shoulder... it last for 3 days and was REALLY bad. I found a heating pad really helped and walking. I said to myself... WHAT HAVE I DONE!!!... but on day four If felt sort of "normal" after I had a good burp.

PLEASE hang in there... it does get better!!!

I didn't have to do the pre-op diet and I followed my menu plan to the letter... it was so worth it. I lost 17 lbs my first week.

Keep a food journal and do the best you can. If you have access to a support group try and go to a meeting. Support from other bandsters can be very beneficial... especially in the very beginning.

Please feel free to ask any questions.

Tom, Toronto

Banded July 6 06

Wt. Loss: 160 lbs

tomander@bell.net

Glad I'm not the only one. Having serious buyer's remorse. I'm 2 days post op. the Percocet makes me talk in my sleep and terribly sleepy. I'm

nauseated and full as soon as I try something. Loosely put, I'm miserable. :(

Glad I'm not the only one. Having serious buyer's remorse. I'm 2 days post op. the Percocet makes me talk in my sleep and terribly sleepy. I'm

nauseated and full as soon as I try something. Loosely put' date=' I'm miserable. :([/quote']

I feel ya!! But speaking as two days ago so miserable I could just cry, to everyday a little better. Hang in there! And take the pain meds!! I tried to handle it without, and it sucked even worse!!!

Hang in there! It gets better. I remember how hard those days were and here I am almost 3 years later. It goes fast. I never allowed myself to read in the post op section of this message board until after my surgery because I was being superstious. Well, it was a huge mistake because there was a lot of stuff I was unaware of. I had no idea about the hunger and pain and I thought what have I done but it was every bit of it and I would do it again in a heart beat. My life is completely changed and it is wonderful. Stay strong. You are amazing and you will get through this!