Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Drinking with my meal

I've been banded since Jun 10th, 2013..no fill as of right now..I go to get filled July 20th... But I have a serious issue with drinking with my meal.. I've always had this fear of choking on my food so it's a mental thing

I have a friend that got banded the same day that I did and after 4 years of not losing weight and continued pouch dilations still struggles not to drink with meals. Do you really want to go down that road?

Just a few hours ago I was eating lunch, and without thinking I took a swallow of Ice Tea.....

THE PAIN WAS EXCRUCIATING!!!!

I'm sure I was stetching the heck out of my pouch....

Ran to the bathroom and up it all came....

I should, and do know better from past experiences....but just as we know the stove is hot we still get burned from time to time....

If you can drink and eat at the same time then there is something else factoring in....either you don't have any restriction or your pouch is dialted allowing the extra volume....only you can know for sure.

I have a friend that got banded the same day that I did and after 4 years of not losing weight and continued pouch dilations still struggles not to drink with meals. Do you really want to go down that road?

I won't go down that road, I don't think I have any restrictions yet as to why I can drink a little and not really feel it, I have to stop it tho

Sorry to say, but I often drink w/ meals. Mind you I only drink ice tea and Water so I don't have to deal w/ carbonation issues Also, I'm a sipper. I stop when I feel full. The downfall is that it probably contributes to an early full sensation, lets food pass quicker and can be a setup for feeling hungry earlier.

Sipping Water or any Fluid while you eat allows the food to travel right through your stoma and defeats the purpose of the band. Some of us sip Water or wine with meals occasionally but we wait until the food has passed through the pouch and into the stomach. Each bite takes about one minute to pass through if you follow the rules.

I recommend newbies learn to eat without fluids until they have more control over their eating habits.

tmf

This has been a big issue for me too. Prior to my surgery, I was a HUGE drinker with my meals... multiple glasses. I always enjoyed the "cleansing of my palate" for the next bite... anyways, it's been probably the biggest challenge to get used to.

i was a HUGE IiiiiiiI was a Huge drinker with eating, but I learned not to drink with my meals before I had surgery, per my doctor. and even now a year after surgery I pour myself a glass , but never drink it till 30 mins after I eat.

Well I don't drink a whole beverage during a meal but I do take sips of Water usually after thoroughly chewing my food. I really haven't had a problem what I don't understand how the pouch would get dilated on a couple of sips of Water. Then after I'm finished eating I wait about a half hour and finish my water. So far I haven't had a problem

I too occasionally take a sip of Water with my meal,,it hasn't hurt me one bit,,,my dr even said a sip won't hurt me,,everyone is different,,what works for one person may not work for another

By far this is my biggest challenge! I've never had any problems because of it, but it certainly contributes to not losing weight or to re-gaining weight for me. My surgeon was very emphatic about this rule. She even told me that technically eating a salad with my meal was kind of like eating and drinking at the same time because of the Water content in the vegetables. She just explained that if you put thick sludge in a sink, it will eventually drain out. But if you add a bunch of Water to it, it will wash out quickly. The band works because the relatively small amount of chewed food stays in the pouch for a long time. If we wash it through, we defeat the band. Her exact quote - "You can eat and drink your way through anything if you try hard enough."

When I follow this rule about not drinking with meals and focus on getting 60g of Protein a day - I lose weight. When I ignore the Protein and drink with meals, I gain weight. Just that simple for me.

Shelly

dont you love what makes the world go round and all the different opinions...i agree with TMF, drinking while eating slides the food on through while what we want to happen is the food to sit atop and just hover and then slowly pass through.....i eat as my dr advised me too. to not drink while eating and wait 20-30 min afterwards...do what works for you. i see nothing wrong with a sip or two if you need it......i eat with my hub and he takes a big drink after each bite. i asked him one day why did he do that and he said to help it go down to make room for more.

boom

CG by jove I think your hubby just hit on something.. to make room for more.... we don't want room for more nor do we need to make room for more... I do not drink while eating and try to wait at least 30 min after.. so far it's working.. my motto "If it ain't broke don't fix it"....

dont you love what makes the world go round and all the different opinions...i agree with TMF' date=' drinking while eating slides the food on through while what we want to happen is the food to sit atop and just hover and then slowly pass through.....i eat as my dr advised me too. to not drink while eating and wait 20-30 min afterwards...do what works for you. i see nothing wrong with a sip or two if you need it......i eat with my hub and he takes a big drink after each bite. i asked him one day why did he do that and he said to help it go down to make room for more.

boom[/quote']

I did that. Now I don't.