Are you looking for the BariatricPal Store? Go now!

Scared, nervous, anxious!

I'm new here and I'm starting my 7 month trial weight loss. I'm so scared I won't be able to maintain the diet. Yesterday was my first day and I was starving by 7:00 p.m. Any suggestions for really good filling meals I can take to work? Any help or suggestions is welcome!

Usually the 6 month supervised nutrition program is overseen by a doctor or nutritionist? Better make sure you're doing it right? Someone here on the forum just recently had to start all over again because her doctor didn't follow the rules to the T.

Is this a 7 month mandate by your doctor or insurance carrier? Many people don't lose much at all during the 6 month supervised program. That's why we all need the help of a lapband. Wouldn't need WLS if we could diet successfully.

And most of us didn't have to diet 7 months before surgery. Some have a 2 week pre-op diet but I didn't have one.

This is overseen by the doctor recommended by my surgeon. It is part of his program. I will have a nutritionist during part of it, but I don't actually get to see my surgeon until next month.. I don't have to lose much, but I still have to show I will maintain healthy eating. My insurance requires it. Thanks for replying.

Scared and nervous is normal. All will be well. You can do this if you want it bad enough. Increase Protein to increase satiety. Wishing you well!

I had to do a physician supervised diet for six months prior as well. You can do this! I was able to lose 10 lbs, my requirement was 15, but was still approved. Here are some tips:

-log your food! Myfitnesspal is a great tool. The more support you have the better, you're not alone. My username is westcomk

-give Protein shakes a whirl, maybe one a day to get used to them for your pre-op and/or post-op protocol. I've bought them from the nutrisystem website, canisters off of Amazon, and at Walmart. You can also buy extracts in the baking aisle to help switch it up. I had a coconut banana chocolate shake last night and a peppermint chocolate this morning (I'm on my pre-op 10 day/500 cals a day liquid diet right now)

-find the exercise that you enjoy. I'm horrible at following this advice. I HATE exercising. I find it discouraging, annoying and pretty much all things negative. But I recently joined a gym with a pool and found I love swimming. Any exercise will help!

-filling meals: Protein, protein, protein! I liked to buy low carb tortilla shells and pack small tupperware containers of refried Beans, diced tomatoes, shredded lettuce, salsa, taco sauce, and I would make ground turkey with taco seasoning. Very filling! I'm not sure what you like so that's just one idea. But another tool to use is Pinterest, it has a TON of recipes and good fitness/health ideas :)

-practice chewing and slowing down your meals! It'll help with the prep!

-BE KIND TO YOURSELF! If you fall off of the wagon, get back up. We are all human, but hold yourself accountable. You can do this :)

-Water, Water, water! It'll curb your appetite. Even if you pee 50 times a day (drove me crazy at first)

-enjoy the journey and don't look back! You're brave for taking this step and we are all here to support you.

Maggie

Every insurance is different, so this is a good question to ask your doctor's office on your next visit!!!!

My nutritionist was mostly interested in my following her recommendations! Protein intake first, followed by "good carbs," i.e. healthy vegetables while avoiding sugar, butter, fats, etc. The goal seems to be to see if you can follow a diet that puts Protein intake first, with good carbs second. Fluid intake was another big deal for the NUT. Understanding portion sizes was another thing my NUT pushed. She didn't seem to care about weight gains or losses, but that is what she emphasized over my six visits.

You and your NUT need to talk to ensure you are on the same page regarding your nutrition and calories over this required supervised nutritional period.

I've found that by cutting out much of the processed foods I ate prior to being banded helped a lot. Cut back on most Breakfast cereals, breads, Pasta, sugar, refined flour and sauces/dressings. I'm not saying you can't eat them ever again, but cut back as much as you can. These foods have little nutritional value and cause huge spikes in insulin production and causes appetite swings and cravings.

Like the others have said, eat Protein rich foods like chicken, fish, lean beef and pork. Fill up on vegetables and salads after eating your Protein. Good luck.

My insurance required a 6mth nutritionist, 6mths dr visits. Because of my high weight, my dr is requiring me to lose 60lbs before surgery so that I can shrink my liver and also for it to be safer to do the surgery. I have already lost 44lbs in 6mths. I cut out processed foods and fast food. Sodas and sugary coffees are gone. I try to eat only chicken and fish, lots of veggies and fruits. I love slim fast shakes and Fiber one bars. I always have a bar with me everywhere I go so I don't stop and get something if I am hungry. My nutritionist put me on a 60g of Protein, 1000 cal diet. I cut out Pasta, breads, rice. Now, that being said, I have slipped up and cheated some, but I get that out of my system and not beat myself up about it and start over. Good luck with your journey!

Congratulations on your weight loss so far! I give you so much credit. Those carbs are tough to give up!!